Sopranos Last Episode

WS1

Did anyone else see it on E4 last night? I've gotta say, I thought the whole last series was shit compared to previous ones. Every time it looked like something big was gonna happen between Phil and Tony it just didn't and ended up with Phil getting Killed in a very boring way.

And as for the ending, I thought something had happend to my tv when it just ended with Meadow entering the restaurant and the screen going black and then the credits began to roll.

Anybody else watch it?

Over here in the states, people who cared about the series were split 50-50. Most who supported the ending were the ones who liked the series. But seriously, no tv series should end making you think there was a signal problem.

Phil's death was alright, but my one qualm was that it should have been Benny Fazio who killed him, not Walden McSomeRandomGuy. Benny owed Phil one after what happened in the season five finale.

... also, I just love Benny/Max Casella. So sue me.

That ending was terrible

In this court, evidence is the only thing that matters!

But no, seriously, care to explain why it's terrible?

EDIT: Also, Iain; personally, I think he didn't die. I think the ending symbolizes what every moment of his public life is going to be like from here on out. He's finally #1, but the cost of that position is that he's always going to be looking over his shoulder, no matter what actually happens to him.

Edited by GoGo Yubari *

That ending was terrible

EDIT: Also, Iain; personally, I think he didn't die. I think the ending symbolizes what every moment of his public life is going to be like from here on out. He's finally #1, but the cost of that position is that he's always going to be looking over his shoulder, no matter what actually happens to him.

It was terrible to me because I didn't want something so abstract. I wanted closure. And on a personal note I hated him and was hoping he would die.

That ending was terrible

A friend of mine says if you look in the credits, one of the people in the restaurant has the same last name as Phil, and since the whole killing someone in front of their family thing was a no no, one of Phil's relatives was gonna kill Tony in front of his family.

There was also, supposedly, some significance in the Meadow trying 3 times to park her car, getting it on the third time, and the 2 previous attempts at Tony's life failing. I personally think thats stretching it a bit, and think he survived, but thats some "proof" someone I know gave to show he died.

A friend of mine says if you look in the credits, one of the people in the restaurant has the same last name as Phil, and since the whole killing someone in front of their family thing was a no no, one of Phil's relatives was gonna kill Tony in front of his family.

There was also, supposedly, some significance in the Meadow trying 3 times to park her car, getting it on the third time, and the 2 previous attempts at Tony's life failing. I personally think thats stretching it a bit, and think he survived, but thats some "proof" someone I know gave to show he died.

Well, I think that's the inherent brilliance. There's also a reference to the planned assassination of Johnny Sack in Season Four, as Tony and Christopher had opted to hire two "unidentified black males" to make it look like Johnny's death was unconnected to the mafia itself, and then in the final scene there's a cut to two stereotypical gangstas hanging out in the restaurant as well.

My opinion on the references and connections is that it symbolizes paranoia; if you think someone's going to kill you, you start looking for hints, connections, reasons to justify that belief. But at the same time, it's also entirely possible that there's truth in the connections. I like how ambiguous it is, because I don't think that ending it on outright killing him or letting him go out on top quite works.

... admittedly, though, part of me would have loved Furio showing up out of nowhere and offing Tony. But that's just because I love Furio and wanted him to show up at some point in the final season.