Assassin's Creed Thread

See, this is why I hate rating ANYTHING with numbers, letters, stars, whatever. People can interpret it however they want.

"7? Well that's 70% out of 100%, in my grading system at school, that's a D-!!!!! FLOP!!!!!!!!"

"Nuh-uh, 7 is average or good! 8 is great, 9 is amazing and 10 is perfect! This game rulez!!!"

Just review games with a thumbs up or thumbs down. You either enjoy the game or you don't, simple as that. The actual review article should discuss whether or not it's the greatest game ever made. Of course, people don't read, so it's not surprising we have to use asinine number systems.

You're going a little overboard by saying that people should review games with either a pass or fail. A lot of games are inbetween, and that doesn't give a lot of detail about the game. Besides, who are you to decide what everyone should do? Who says that your system works better? I'm sure it has just as many problems.

The problem is that people are failing to understand the review system of different websites and magazines. If you look on the site/in the magazine, there's always a key somewhere that says what each score represents. A 7 might be average in one magazine, but it might be great on a website. Either way, the source material explains it. There is no "interpretation," it is what it is. The source will tell you what their rating means, you just have to look for it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the review and see the faults. It got a 7.7 cause its story proves to be boring, with the big twist right at the beginning, its AI is moronic and the information gathering missions are repetitive, according to the review I read. That makes it a rental for me, based on what I took from the review.

You're going a little overboard by saying that people should review games with either a pass or fail. A lot of games are inbetween, and that doesn't give a lot of detail about the game. Besides, who are you to decide what everyone should do? Who says that your system works better? I'm sure it has just as many problems.

You're missing my point. People focus way too much on the little number, letter, or star at the bottom of every review instead of what the game is really about. What do these numbers even mean? Let's take a look at IGN: they gave Call of Duty 4 a 9.4, they also gave Guitar Hero 2 a 9.4... these are two ENTIRELY different games and even trying to use the same scale to grade them is, as I said above, asinine.

It's like trying to review movies. Okay, so American Beauty is a great movie, easily a 9. But something like Ghostbusters is a fantastic movie without the message or substance of American Beauty and it just doesn't make sense to try to put them on the same scale together. I'd give both movies a thumbs up, but then explain why they're good in the actual article. Developers get way too much of a free ride these days... Yeah, there are a lot of games that are in between, but is in between worth your $60? Give it a thumbs up or thumbs down... explain why some people might like it, some may not. At the end of the day, reviewers (especially video game reviewers), are just people. Just because their picture is in a magazine or on a website, their opinion isn't anymore valuable than your own. I understand the need for reviews, but they've just gotten to the point of being ridiculous. What makes a game a 9.5 instead of a 9? Who cares? The real review is in the article, not the number at the end.

Edited by Zero

If any video game gets a score of a 5 it's probably one of the worst games released that year. A "poor" score is in the 6's as far as I've seen. A 7-7.9 is considered average to just above average, anything in the 8 range is very good, a 9-9.25 is GOTY quality and anything above that is legendary.

Also, on a scale of 1-10 a 5.5 is an average score.

I read the review and see the faults. It got a 7.7 cause its story proves to be boring, with the big twist right at the beginning, its AI is moronic and the information gathering missions are repetitive, according to the review I read. That makes it a rental for me, based on what I took from the review.

Now that I've played this game for a good hour or so and therefore far too short to see the story as repetitive etc I'll give my views with a brief spoiler chat on what's happened so far...

I knew about the twist that takes place at the start but believe me it's perfectly implemented - it also means that a tutorial is built in wonderfully. There's been several mark out moments including:

When I was first allowed to walk around in the game world - it's gorgeous and you can literally climb anywhere. Walking and running makes a massive difference too. The way Altiar interacts with crowds is good.

Getting into my first fight which included stabbing some guy to make him fall off a cliff to his grizzly death.

During a "cutscene" back in the modern day world when it opened out and I could CONTROL the modern day descendant around the room and listen in on a "private" conversation between the doctors.

The intruige of the storyline - very slick, very interesting so far but I'm sure it'll become repetitive and boring :shifty:

At this moment in time it's the best thing I've played in quite a while. Don't get caught up in the negative hype because it's seriously special. Attempts (and so far) succeeds in trying something new and doing it well. Scaling up a massive high wall with the grace of a gynmast to look down at the pursuing guards struggling up behind me was unbelievable.

It's really very very good.

Also, to bear in mind, I'll happily play games rated "7" in magazines and a few of my favourite games were rated around that mark (Way Of The Samurai 2 for example). A seven to me means a good game that has a few issues and problems that will distract some people, but those who really get into the game can overlook them.

At the moment this is a 9/9.5 for me.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Why did school have to give me three straight days of midterms (tuesday, wednesday and thursday). Luckily I pre-ordered the limited edition and it hasn't arrived in Ottawa yet (probably tomorrow). I also work tomorrow so I won't be able to pick it up until around 6pm on thursday but luckily the friday morning class is optional this week so I can stay up all night and play.

I could care less about reviews after tracking this game for so long a review isn't going to stop me from wanting this game (although bad demonstration almost did).

Right then, more play, more experiences etc...

Got sent to carry out an assassination in Damascus. Rode there by horse, passing a town and a few hamlets on the way. Upset some guards by entering into a private path in the countryside so got chased most the way. Hid in hay to get them off my back.

When the road opened out, Damascus lay down below in front of me - absolutely stunning and HUGE. Made my way down and after rescuing a civilian who was getting beaten up they introduced me to their friends - a group of those monk types - which meant I could go into the city with them.

The hustle and bustle in the city is fantastic - loads of people, loads of noise, chickens flapping in cages, market stalls, soapbox preachers, guards everywhere...

I've spent the day moving around the poor district of Damascus, rescuing citizens who are getting arrested or attacked by the law. In exchange they've been offering me their thanks in the form of a group of fellas who will start attacking guards if they're chasing me in order to buy me some time to vanish onto the roofs and away like a phantom. I've also beaten up a few preachers who have information to give me, pickpocketed some important info.

A big part of the game is that parts of the district are blocked off until you find the tallest building in the area, climb up to the top in order to "unlock" the area by getting a better view of it, then swandiving off into a big cart of hay :pervert:

That's kinda cool as the map is opened up at your own pace.

There's also flags to find (100 in Damascus it seems, at least 100 in the countryside and probably more in other cities) and Templars to assassinate - I got one on the way to Damascus.

Completed my first assassination too (badly) but he was a scumbag so it's ok - nice deep meaningful death scene too :P

The fighting is all about timing rather than pressing loads of buttons. You can't take too many hits before you die so it's about only pressing block AS they strike you and trying to counter quickly.

I've been pursued a couple of times and then the "free running" style of clambering up buildings and jumping between them really comes into it's own. It feels excellent and looks very slick. Of course in order to create perfectly scalable buildings (with Aldair's animation and grip different for every nook, cranny, window ledge or jutting out stone) the buildings are repeated throughout the city but there's a massive number of them and there's a nice variety.

So then, loving it more than I even did to begin with.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Damn Ubisoft to hell! Once again Australia gets shit on when it comes to video game release dates. The game was meant to come out today, but they've pushed it back to next Wednesday so they can get more copies to each store. I wanted it today you bastards. Stop getting my hopes up and then swiftly crushing them. :crying:

Crap. My girlfriend's just seen a trailer for this game on TV and now she wants it (or to quote directly, "ME WANTS IT"). I tell her that if she scrapes together £300 for herself she can have it, but such suggestions are ineffectual. She's reminding me of myself when I was 8 and wanted a Mega CD.

Still, at least "the girlfriend wants Assassin's Creed" is a slightly more novel factor to weigh into the whole will-I-eventually-get-a-360/PS3-or-just-save-myself-the-money-altogether debate. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

I've been playing for about two or three hours now, and I just made it to Damascus. I agree with Hamstah--the first scene of the city is incredible. The controls are a bit tough to get used to, but the game gives you plenty of tutorial type stuff to get used to it.

The only thing I absolutely hate is how slow Altair has to move. I'm so used to being able to run around in games like this, having to walk slowly to make sure not to offend anyone is really irritating.

Other than that, I'm digging it. I have a massive headache from my shitty TV, though. I think I might play with the brightness a little more to make it better.

I've realised that you can get away with more running than you think you can. Just don't crash into those women with the jars on their heads.

For getting around quickly in the city just head to the rooftops. Don't worry when people comment on you clambering up - nothing bad has happened from it for me so far.