Slamball

OGpistolpete

Anyone else remember this. I heard it was actually popular in Italy, but anyways...it used to be on Spike TV, and it was fucking sweet.

I MEAN FUCKING SWEET.

Well, that's coming from a former obsessed fan. I never missed a show, and I would always love sitting down, and eventually standing up cheering, watching my favorite player Stan Fletcher take the court and rip it up, hitting Chaser's here and there, and then watching the Steal lose in the playoffs if I can recall correctly.

And I remember the sweet ass dunk contest they had (a bunch of clips on YouTube.) I was watching a lot of Slamball clips on YouTube, and it reminded me how much I miss this game, and I wondered if anyone else here watched it.

Any favorite players? Any favorite teams? Mine was Stan Fletcher, with LaMonica Garrett coming in second, and I always hoped the Steal won the championship, only because Stan Fletcher was on them. And I hated the Mob, even though LaMonica Garrett was on the team, probably because they always beat the Steal.

Wikipedia Page

Old Spike TV Website

• 2 months later...

I didn't see the appeal personally.

It was trampoline dunking ... something everyone with a trampoline and a basketball goal has done in their driveway. Not only that, but the 'action' didn't flow, and from the few telecasts I watched the rules seemed to change each week. The surface itself was an injury trap ... half a basketball court, then a layer of big ass padding around the tramps, and then the tramps. WTF ? And wasn't there like a 'fence' or plexiglass wall like A FOOT away from the surface surrounding the whole thing ?

To me, it should have been held on the backburner and refined a bit before they put it on tv. It just didn't make much sense at all.

I slightly remember it, but like HttK said, had they sorted everything out, it could have been good. It just didn't seem like it was an attempt to be a sport, but a television show. There was no recaps or anything at all, just going out and playing which makes it confusing. So much could have been done with it had the rules been sorted out and all. I will say that I liked it and had it gone for a few more years (like the XFL), the rules could have gotten sorted out and all and everything could have been made a lot neater.

I agree with whoever said that they should have straightened everything out before putting it on TV. It was fun to watch, but the rules kept changing. They should have figured out how to make the game flow better, whether it be rule wise or changing up the court. I think that two trampolines with a court in the middle would have worked out better.

Edited by Hellfire

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Slamball is returning. They are having a shortened season three right (just held the draft a couple days ago) now and want to make it into a real league.

slamballnation.blogspot.com

www.slamball.net

As far as I know they do not have a TV station yet.

They changed the names of three teams (Diablos, Steal, and Bandits) to the Hombres, Maulers, and Rousties (not in any particular order I forget which team is which). I hate teh new names. Maulers is okay, but Diablos and Steal were fine names in my opinion.

I've never heard of it, or seen any match, till today, on YouTube. I think that given proper advertising, and some minor rules modifications, it could really work... Maybe not as a legit sport, but certainly as a very popular, entertaining program.

I saw some highlights on YouTube, and it really looks cool, damn shame that I'm probably the first person in Poland to know that such thing as Slamball exists :| Would love to play it someday...

They changed the names of three teams (Diablos, Steal, and Bandits) to the Hombres, Maulers, and Rousties (not in any particular order I forget which team is which). I hate teh new names. Maulers is okay, but Diablos and Steal were fine names in my opinion.

I think the new names suck, as did the old names.

I think cities as prefixes would be better then just lame single named teams.

I think the new names suck, as did the old names.

I think cities as prefixes would be better then just lame single named teams.

I read they are planning on selling each team. They plan to make seven figures per sale, I don't know how (I could see 100,000 tops per team, if that).

Some big company (IMG?) is their primary backer which is why they are tyring to make it into a true league, which is fine by me.

• 4 months later...

So it looks like Slamball is officially back. I watched it today on the Versus Network. It was the Maulers against the Rumble, unfortunatly the Maulers lost. I don't know who my favorite team is, but it's probably between the Maulers and Mob. The Maulers have Stan Fletcher, while the Mob has both Sean Jackson AND LaMonica Garrett.

The site is all new and decked out including clips of games and stuff. Check it out...

http://www.slamball.net/