Damon Albarn

RPS

I've been listening to the Good, The Bad and the Queen so much. I first downloaded the CD and thought meh. It was alright. Not after repeated listens, its probably one of the best CDs that have come out this year. Its a dark, brooding look at the state of not only London, but the world. Its such a different record from Demon Days, yet still so similar.

So after listening to this CD, I realised Damon Albarn is one of the most, if not the most, profilic musicians of our time. Not only did he release some amazing material from Blur (Parklife, Blur, 13, Think Tank), but he also released two amazing and ground breaking CDs with the Gorillaz, and than the Good, The Bad, The Queen. Whatever the guy does next is going to have such high expectations.

I love him. I love everything Blur have done (bar 13), I'm fond of Gorillaz, and when I heard The Good, The Bad and The Queen, I instantly liked it. He's achieved a lot in terms of bringing certain types of music to the forefront (note to elitists: I'm not saying he invented any of them :shifty:) and I hope that in the future he gets his fair share of admiration.

I really need to get The Good, The Bad, and The Queen. I'm such a huge fan of Damon Albarn's work (Blur and Gorillaz are two of my all-time favorite groups), I really do think that he's one of the most talented people in music in the past twenty years. What's always impressed me with his work is that he's not afraid to experiment and change things up and moreover, he does it really well. It's not like how conversely when some artists try to change their style distinctly it doesn't actually quite work (see the White Stripes with Get Behind Me Satan), he's truly versatile and he has a great eye for artists to collaborate with. The Gorillaz albums thusfar have just been an amazing mix of talent from all across the music world, for example.

Blur are my favourite band and have been ever since I properly got into music - the Singles tour in December 99 at Wembley Arena just inspired me to pick up a bass and really thrust myself into music, the recording of that gig was used for the live second cd on the Greatest Hits album. Have seen them 3 times, and they've been great...

I love all their stuff apart from maybe half of Leisure, although that album does contain my second favourite song of theirs, Sing, so it's not a bad album by any means. I also love the Gorillaz, but have yet to really properly listen to the Good, the Bad and the Queen, although a return to music for Paul Simonon was surprising, so tis all good.

Also, Albarn did some great work with Mali Music, check out some of that stuff.