Bonnaroo 2008

tristy

anyone heard any rumours surrounding next years line-up? I have a theory that The Mars Volta will be a headliner, since they'll be touring in support of The Bedlam In Goliath when Bonnaroo season rolls around. Atleast I hope so.

Someone else said in another thread that they wish Muse would be brought in, and Radiohead be brought back. I agree with Muse (although I don't think they fit the "Bonnaroo" culture; may just be me though). I saw Radiohead at 'Roo 06, and... yeah. Not my favorite live act ever.

Yeah, I'll be going. It's worth the 13 hour drive of terror down I-81. There's any number of names that could be there. Who thought this time last year The Police would be at Roo? There are any number of surprises they could do, but I think last year's format worked great. They had all the big-time jam bands and acid bands (sans the Lips) go on Friday. Then Saturday was dedicated more to partying with The Police. This is at least how I interpreted it, and chances are it wasn't completely intentional. But in any case, I do hope they do that again. I'd kill to be able to walk from STS9 to DJ Shadow to String Cheese again.

Mars Volta are definitely someone I'd consider for headliner material. Muse, for the reasons I said in the other thread, are another likely candidate and would totally come out of left-field considering the type of band that'd play Roo. If Led Zeppelin do more than this upcoming one-off gig and do a tour there's a big chance they could come (I figure if they do a tour they'll go for the biggest reunion tour in memory). Always gotta expect a Phish reunion (some guy told me this last year that it's the big rumor every year) and assume some Dead members will be playing. Hoping for more reggae as well, Ziggy Marley was awesome. I hope they bring back DJs of Sasha & Digweed's calibur again to play into the early morning. Chemical Brothers perhaps? They've got EPIC visual shows (up there with Tool and Flaming Lips I'm told) and you always need one of those.

• 2 months later...

I hope to fucking God that the Mars Volta are on any stages, if not a headliner. PLEASE!!! I need to hear some of this new material live. Good lord!

I've also heard rumblings about a short Led Zeppelin set since Robert Plant will be there anyways, and John Paul Jones was already there last year, I believe, for the SuperJam. It's possible, I'd imagine. Also, it's been said that B.B. King, Willie Nelson and some other people I don't care about have been heard saying they'll be at the 'Roo.

Myself, I'm just going for the headliners, since I'll be on probation anyway. <_< Unless there's some bands that I really, really enjoy that are playing smaller sets during the day, that is.

See Ya'll In Tennessee!

Full Lineup:

Against Me!, The Allman Brothers Band, Nicole Atkins, The Avett Brothers, Back Door Slam, Battles, Black Kids, The Bluegrass Allstars featuring Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer, Broken Social Scene, Solomon Burke, Dark Star Orchestra, Death Cab For Cutie, Drive-By Truckers, Jakob Dylan, The Felice Brothers, The Fiery Furnaces, Ben Folds, Donavon Frankenreiter, Pat Green, Levon Helm & The Ramble on the Road, Ghostland Observatory, Gogol Bordello, Jose Gonzalez, Grupo Fantasma, Iron & Wine, Israel Vibration, Mason Jennings, Jack Johnson, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, B.B. King, Talib Kweli, Ladytron, The Lee Boys, Phil Lesh & Friends, Lez Zeppelin, Little Feat, Lupe Fiasco, MGMT, Aimee Mann, Mastodon, Metallica, M.I.A., Minus The Bear, My Morning Jacket, Willie Nelson, O.A.R., Orchestra Baobab, Ozomatli, Pearl Jam, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, The Raconteurs, Robert Randolphs Revival, Rilo Kiley, Serena Ryder, Sigur Ros, State Radio, Steel Train, Swell Season, The Sword, Tegan & Sara, Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschis Soul Stew Revival, Two Gallants, Umphreys McGee, Vampire Weekend, Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck, Kanye West, Yonder Mountain String Band

Comedy Acts: Mike Birbiglia, Michelle Buteau, David Cross, Zach Galifianakis, Janeane, Garofolo, John Mulaney, Jim Norton, Brian Posehn

God.. that lineup is awesome. Posehn, Galifinakis and Birbiglia doing comedy. Gogol Bordello, Talib, BB King, Mastodon, MIA, Zeppelin.. Lupe Fiasco.. Sigur Ros, Drive-By Truckers, whole fucking slew of good shit.

Article in the Tennessean today:

The list of performers at this year’s Bonnaroo festival — which includes headliners Pearl Jam and Metallica, along with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Kanye West, Willie Nelson and Jack Johnson — pushes its already flexible musical boundaries even further, with performers running the gamut from heavy metal and hip-hop to bluegrass and classic country.

The range of entertainment offered this year is a point of pride for Ashley Capps, president of Bonnaroo co-organizer A.C. Entertainment.

“I think it’s probably our most diverse lineup ever,” Capps said.

No act pushes the envelope as much as Metallica, which is easily one of the most aggressive-sounding acts to ever play the festival. While acknowledging that Bonnaroo-goers might consider the band’s inclusion a “curveball,” the organizers believe it fits the festival’s ideals.

“Metallica’s a great live band,” Capps said, “and that’s always been one of the guiding principles in the decision-making process of who plays Bonnaroo."

Jonathan Mayers, co-owner of festival co-organizer Superfly Productions, agrees.

“We have never doubted that when (Metallica) hits the stage, they’re going to deliver and turn a lot of people on,” he said. “It’s also an environment where maybe a lot of people know their music and have been fans, or maybe the opposite — and this is a great opportunity to see them in a different environment.”

Nashville musician Sam Bush, who will be making his third Bonnaroo appearance, says the open-minded nature of the audience is what draws artists of all different stripes to the festival.

“It isn’t just one type of music that the audience is looking for,” Bush said. “They’re excited about everything.”

Nashville ties abound

A range of Nashville artists will perform this year, including piano-pop favorite Ben Folds and recent transplants The Raconteurs (fronted by Jack White of the White Stripes). There’s also a noticeably large number of country and bluegrass-influenced acts, possibly aided by Nashville’s close proximity to the festival.

“Maybe if (Bonnaroo) wasn’t smack-dab in the middle of Tennessee, it wouldn’t have that same approach,” Bush said.

Mayers asserted that the decision-making process is all about the music.

“We know that the people that attend Bonnaroo are fans of that music as much as we are. I mean, who wouldn’t want to have Willie Nelson, Bela Fleck and Alison Krauss? These are amazing artists.”

The appearance of Krauss, accompanied by her new musical partner, Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant, is likely to fuel the already widespread rumor that the recently reunited Led Zeppelin could perform at Bonnaroo this year.

When asked outright, Capps denied that the band would make a surprise appearance. “Believe me, if Zeppelin was going to be there we would be shouting it from the rooftops,” he said, adding that no one would be more surprised than him and his team if the band did perform.

The organizers are showing their sense of humor by adding all-female Zeppelin cover band Lez Zeppelin to the bill.

‘We’re here to stay’

But the simple fact that fans believe Bonnaroo would be a big enough draw to attract the rock legends speaks volumes about the festival’s success, which organizers and performers alike accredit to its music-first approach.

“Music is the appeal here, so what else can you ask for?” Bush said. “I don’t mean to sound like an old-timer, but this festival is not based on dance routines and light shows. It’s based on music.”

More acts will be announced in the coming weeks, but fans shouldn’t get their hopes up for any more big announcements.

“I don’t think you’ll see (any more) major headliners,” Capps said. “We never have our complete lineup locked down, but we’re further along (this year) than we’ve ever been in the past.”

Still, there’s more than music for attendees to look forward to this year. Now that the organizers own the site in Manchester, they hope to make significant improvements to all aspects of the festival.

“We’re here to stay,” Mayers said. “We’re here to create one of the most amazing events in the world.”

Metallica

Allman Brothers

Pearl Jam

Robert Randolph

The Sword

Mastodon

BB King

Ben Folds

Pat Green

Willie Nelson

OAR

I would go for those bands...if I had the time/money.

Although with my Metallica Club membership pre-sale tickets at a discount, I might have the money and just not the time. It's 4 days long right?

Metallica

Allman Brothers

Pearl Jam

Robert Randolph

The Sword

Mastodon

BB King

Ben Folds

Pat Green

Willie Nelson

OAR

I would go for those bands...if I had the time/money.

Although with my Metallica Club membership pre-sale tickets at a discount, I might have the money and just not the time. It's 4 days long right?

Yes, 4 days plus the 2 days it takes to go to and from it. It's my vacation this summer.

And you get pre-sale tickets discounted because you're a member in the Metallica Club? I'm surprised that something like that would help you save money for Roo.

Edited by damshow