The Video Game Industry Can Go To Hell

Vilge Duin

I know the sentiment is everywhere... But damn...

Kane & Lynch, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Mass Effect and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. These are the games I likely will try to pick up over the next week... Fuck.

That doesn't begin to count all of the games previously released over the past few months I have picked up (Metriud Prime 3: Corruption, Warhawk, Halo 3, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Castlevania: Dracula X Chroniciles, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga).

Then you have LittleBigPlanet, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Mercenaries 2 and a random amount of other stuff next year. Not counting what I can't remember and what may wind up being great.

If it wasn't for having dual incomes and the sharing of the same hobby with my girlfriend (and lack of vices) we'd be broke.

So yeah... I just realized how much money I'd be forking over in the next couple of days (thankfully I can get Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 together for $90 at Best Buy). Never before have so many great and awesome games come out all at once. Back in 2004 was bad, but this is ridiculous.

Cheers to the makers of such fantastic entertainment... I must say, the video game industry has truly risen above what was once expected of it. And all with a three main console market along with two fairly (well one monstrously) big handhelds that was once stated to be impossible and would destroy the industry. Hah.

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the sheer excellence coming forth from game companies?

I don't even have enough time to play everything. :(

In the midst of all of this, I'm putting off getting Assasin's Creed till Christmas, picking up Mass Effect next week and buying a Gamecube today

They're selling for $40! What the hell is that?! How am I supposed to resist! Making it worse, the remake of Resident Evil, RE 0 and RE4 are all on Amazon for $8 each. Plus they released Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for it! And there's Viewtiful Joes and Wind Waker and Smash Brothers Melee and its all cheap! Too good of a value to pass up.

This way, I'll have a nice stockpile of things to play this summer when this wave of new games finally ends and the drought begins.

Yeah, I am splitting my time between Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3 and NBA2K8 with Uncharted on pre-order. I even needed to trade in Skate(after beating it) so I could get COD 4. And my neighbor has Oblivion,Rainbow Six Vegas and soon Assasin's Creed, which means I will need to borrow them and beat them too.

Damn, I need a job!

I'm definitely looking to purchase Super Mario Galaxy... looks like a ton of fun. I might give Mario and Sonic at the Olympics a whirl too, but that I'm not as sure of. I'm really still hooked on SSBB, but that won't be out 'til February, so that's going to be awhile.

I'm definitely glad I got the Wii though, and when I have the money for it, my next console will 100% be the 360. I honestly can't wait, there's so many games I've wanted to play... it's a good thing I have enough self control not to buy shitloads of them once I get my paycheck though... Lord knows I wouldn't have the time to play them all. I tend to wait until I've at least beaten, or grown tired, of a game I've purchased before I buy a new one... so I should be safe from stockpiling myself into a corner >_>

Honestly, blame the summer. Its always dry to you get to catch up then.

Other than that, everything is so much because everybody keeps buying it at 60 to 70 bucks a pop... in massive numbers too. Halo 3 selling a million copies in one day is proof.

We could all just try to stop buying them... but we all know that isn't going to happen, so set aside 120 to 180 bucks a month and get 3 every two weeks. Course for me, that is my paycheck so I am fucked.

Honestly, blame the summer. Its always dry to you get to catch up then.

Other than that, everything is so much because everybody keeps buying it at 60 to 70 bucks a pop... in massive numbers too. Halo 3 selling a million copies in one day is proof.

We could all just try to stop buying them... but we all know that isn't going to happen, so set aside 120 to 180 bucks a month and get 3 every two weeks. Course for me, that is my paycheck so I am fucked.

Kane & Lynch got shit on by the magazine I read, Gamesmaster. 68%, ouch. They said the shooting accuracy was terrible.

I agree about how many good games have been coming out, next gen has really amped up the overall game quality, 'n the developers probably haven't even got properly to grips with it yet. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of good games in 2008/2009.

Edited by Renegade