The Runningback Ability Debate

Maxx

So I was going over the features of ESPN with Syco, much to his displeaure. I told him of the new right thumbstick running back moves that allow backs to link together moves so they can go from a juke, into stutterstep, then bounce off a defender with spin.

Syco said it was stupid because no NFL back can do that, maybe LaDanian Tomlinson.

I then told Syco every NFL back can do that, its just a matter of how effective they can do it.

Syco seems to misunderstand my point and apparently thinks I belive Jerome Bettis can bust out LaDanian Tomlinson style moves with just as much fluidity and quickness as LT.

Jerome can do the moves when no one is trying to tackle him, as anyone who isn't morbidly obsese can too. But when you throw in people trying to tackle him, Jerome might not make it past the juke, because of his lack of speed and fluidity, whereas LT would have no problem doing this.

Syco called me stupid and told me I didn't understand football because of this, because in his mind, there is apparently no concievable way in which Jerome Bettis could ever execute a spin.

Now, do you think all the backs have the moves and its just a matter of fluidity and quickness to seperate your Ki-Jana Carters from your LaDanian Tomlinsons, or is it you can either do it or you can't, ever.

Edited by Maxx

In the context of game play, 99% of backs in the league can't execute 3 or 4 part moves in sequence. There's a reason Barry Sanders was the most watched guy in the league. . . he was the only one who could do what he did.

If your argument is theoretical, then yeah, a loser like Ron Dayne can probably mimic Barry, but at 1/8 the speed, and never in a game.

Exactly.

Its a matter of whether or not the back can do said moves in a game that makes them great.

Hence why in a video game, Ron Dayne would be hit around the time his attempted series of moves begins, whereas a faster more effective back like Priest or LT would be able to do more.

Yeah, I can spin around and do all that crazy shit, but I don't want it in a game, because invariable it will be fucked up and everyone will be able to do it.

Besides, the agility and quickness he does it at is part of HOW he does it. Otherwise its ineffective, and thus, not the same damn thing!

And I blocked you because you refuse to stop trying to pimp ESPN to me, when I told you I prefer Madden anyway.

Your lies get you no where Syco! You blocked me towards the end of our real football arguement, which apparently you now agree with.

A spin is a spin is a spin.

Speed is a variable, thus having a different result. Move is the same, just done faster, thus more effective.