Jewell named as new Derby manager

supergrass

Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell has been named manager of struggling Derby on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

The 43-year-old takes over from Billy Davies with the Rams bottom of the Premier League having collected just six points from their opening 14 games.

When asked if he was confident of avoiding relegation, Jewell said: "Absolutely. I'm not here to raise the white flag.

"We're not adrift. We've got to work together and try and get out the mess."

Jewell had been out of football management since quitting Wigan at the end of last season, citing the need for a break from football.

He has since turned down an approach from the Republic of Ireland and also rejected the chance to return to the JJB Stadium after Chris Hutchings was sacked.

The former Bradford City and Sheffield Wednesday manager was also linked with Bolton and Birmingham.

When Jewell left the Latics he said "for my health I have got to do it" but upon being unveiled at Pride Park on Wednesday he insisted he was ready for a new challenge.

"Let's put this straight - I was never ill," he said. "I was never in a straitjacket as some people might have thought.

"All I wanted to do was walk away from Wigan with my head held high and I think I can do that. I had been there six year and we'd come from the old third division to the top tier.

"There's a time and a place in football when you've done enough and maybe it was time for me to walk away from Wigan and for Wigan to move forward with somebody else.

"I enjoyed my time, I'm refreshed and hopefully I can come back a better manager."

MK Dons boss Paul Ince was also in contention to succeed Davies, but Derby were refused permission to talk to him.

"It was the opinion of the board that the club's best interests would not be served by granting permission for an approach - a decision vindicated by Paul's desire to remain at stadium:mk," said a MK Dons statement.

"With reference to the continual speculation regarding Paul's future, the club would like to reiterate both Paul's ambition to achieve success in Milton Keynes and the club's determination to retain his services."

Derby face a hard task of preserving their Premier League status after winning promotion via the play-offs last season.

They have just one win so far this season, which came against Newcastle, and have conceded 33 goals.

I think if he can do something with them, then he'll be proven right. I'm a fan of Billy Davies, but Derby haven't done worse in the slightest by getting Jewell. Best of luck to him. I hope he is able to save them.

Arguably, he took Wigan as far as he could - and barely survived last season. Derby are bigger club than Wigan, and with the new board and January investment to soon be used, Derby aren't doomed just yet.

To be honest, I can't see Jewell being able to get a much better club. Had Wigan finished 10/11th again last season then may be, but I couldn't see a Pompey/Newcastle/West Ham/Everton etc ever being majorly interested just yet.

• 1 month later...

Billy Davies didn't sound to thrilled about coming up, did he? Seem to remember him saying it was a year or so too early for them.

Yeah. I never thought they had Premiership quality in their team. Maybe, a few years from now maybe.

Nobody really thought that about Reading last season either and look where they finished. If a side is good enough to get out of such a hard league like the Championship, then with some notable additions they can cope in the Premier League.

It's not always possible, of course, but it does happen.

Guest RyanSmiley

Billy Davies didn't sound to thrilled about coming up, did he? Seem to remember him saying it was a year or so too early for them.

Yeah. I never thought they had Premiership quality in their team. Maybe, a few years from now maybe.

Edited by RyanSmiley

Where Reading had players like Lita, Doyle, Kitson, Harper, Sidwell, Murty and Shorey all in the Championship, Derby have the likes Earnshaw, Howard, Teale, Darren Moore etc. With the exception of Howard (who has played lower league football for all of his career), the other three (and the majority of Derby's players) have proven previously they are not good enough at Premiership level.

They hardly spent any money, I thought they didn't really care if they stayed up. But then they sack Billy Davies, odd.

Where Reading had players like Lita, Doyle, Kitson, Harper, Sidwell, Murty and Shorey all in the Championship, Derby have the likes Earnshaw, Howard, Teale, Darren Moore etc. With the exception of Howard (who has played lower league football for all of his career), the other three (and the majority of Derby's players) have proven previously they are not good enough at Premiership level.

They hardly spent any money, I thought they didn't really care if they stayed up. But then they sack Billy Davies, odd.

Well yeah, silly move to sack Davies considering the players they had. But for once I agreed with Andy Gray last night before the game when he said that Derby are in a situation now where, if they won their next five games, they could still find themselves bottom of the table.

It'd most definitely be the biggest and best escape ever if they managed to stay up - And who knows, now that they have Laurent Robert on "trial". They must keep him, surely.

If they do, the makers of the Goal movies will be pleased.