The Bedlam in Goliath

ROC

So the lovely people at TMV just released "Wax Simulacra", and listening to it, it's easily the best single released by the band probably ever. It encompasses all that is great of the Mars Volta's sound into a three-minute clip of a song and is insanely catchy without doing what their previous singles did and trying too hard to slow it down and "make a single" and plus it just gets me pumped for the new record.

I've also heard "Askepios", and that is pretty compelling as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's an interesting album which might take more listens to really get me into it but, this is probably the first TMV record where 10/12ths of the time, I've been thinking that it's more tiring than great to listen to. I like throwing a lot of songs onto the table, but I also think even Amputechture was better constructed on its setups.

Yeah, it's a newer type sound, and I like the noise-punk influence in stuff like "Cavalettas".However, while I know it's an easy criticism to make with TMV, it's the first time where I strongly thought it would make such a better 3 minute song than the 9-and-a-half minute monstrosity it is.

Yeah, it's a newer type sound, and I like the noise-punk influence in stuff like "Cavalettas".However, while I know it's an easy criticism to make with TMV, it's the first time where I strongly thought it would make such a better 3 minute song than the 9-and-a-half minute monstrosity it is.

I love Tourniquet Man until it starts going into fully mental, robotic voice mode. I could apply the same to just about every song on the album (apart from Wax Simulacra obviously) and it seems like they have these awesome 4 minute tracks that they're stretching out needlessly. Some really good stuff (Wax Simulacra, Cavalettas, Ilyena) and some rubbish stuff (Soothsayers) but it seems like each song becomes more of a chore to listen to rather than an experience which is the first time I've ever said that about TMV stuff.

I love Tourniquet Man until it starts going into fully mental, robotic voice mode. I could apply the same to just about every song on the album (apart from Wax Simulacra obviously) and it seems like they have these awesome 4 minute tracks that they're stretching out needlessly. Some really good stuff (Wax Simulacra, Cavalettas, Ilyena) and some rubbish stuff (Soothsayers) but it seems like each song becomes more of a chore to listen to rather than an experience which is the first time I've ever said that about TMV stuff.

I knew it was going to happen one of these days, but...

I am kinda bored by this record. While The Mars Volta once blew my mind, they've seem to become a shadow of their once self and its just completely MEH. I'll give the record a few more listens, but...

Edited by PunkRockPete

Yeah, it finally makes me see why TMV fans who have listened since De-Loused feel the band has become less and less awesome with each album and why many of them were unimpressed by Amputechture, which in hindsight, I loved to death.

Edited by YI

I heard the Wax performance on YouTube a couple days ago. The vocals were wayyy too low, and the instruments were wayyy to high. But, I saw them on the Henry Rollins show doing a song from Amputechture, and they were balls out awesome, so they're hit or miss, I guess.

I only have one compliant, and that is the number of songs that pass 5 minutes. For some reason, I can tolerate Frances The Mute and it's 30+ minute epic, but I get bored towards the end on this album. It's still a fucking good album, and the forerunner for my 2008 album of the year already.

Thomas Pridgen is a fucking monster on the skins.