Top SINGLES of 2007

B-Rad

No, I'm not going to make a top 100 list, I am just curious to see what everyone's favorite songs that were played on the radio or whatever were this year. Now, with mine (as usual, at least the past 2 years), I am going to list my top 15 songs this year. Yes, I realize some of the singles were on albums released last year (Billy Talent, Muse), but they didn't OFFICIALLY get released (see: have video or cd single) until this year, or they were released so late last year that I didn't have time to say they were one of my favorites last year (released in December).

Anyway, enough explaining, here's my top 15 songs of 2007:

15: Linkin Park "Bleed It Out"

This song reminds me a lot of "Faint", which was another favorite single of mine by them. Just a very fact, catchy beat. Definitely one of the best songs on the newest album...maybe not THE best, but one of them.

14: Bullet for my Valentine "All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)"

Yeah, it was released in UK back in February 2006, so some of you are probably saying this doesn't qualify. However, in the United States, this single was released in LATE November, and those of us in the U.S. didn't really start hearing it with a video until December/January, so take that! Anyway, awesome song, and their new song "Scream, Aim, Fire" is awesome, so the new album should be good, too.

13: Crossfade "Already Gone"

The iffy Falling Away album had one or two good tracks, and one of my favorites Crossfade released as a single this year. Not near as good as some of the stuff off of their first self-titled album, but deserves a spot up high, I think.

12: Pepper "No Control"

Album came out last October, but they didn't start getting airplay until this song had a video in January of this year. Sounded like Red Hot Chili Peppers, it was another decent song. They also perform well live, as I saw at Warped Tour.

11: Billy Talent "Surrender"

The fourth single off of Billy Talent II, released in April of this year, is one of the songs I could not stop listening to. I love Billy Talent, and it has got the BT elements, but there's just something about it that sets the single apart from a lot of the other stuff.

10: Silverstein "If You Could See Into My Soul"

I didn't like Silverstein when I first heard them. Too much screaming for my tastes. With their new album, my brother told me to give them a listen again. I fell in love, this is an awesome song. They are becoming one of my favorite bands, and I wouldn't have touched their album had it not been for my brother.

9: Dropping Daylight "Blame Me"

The CD was released last summer, but I didn't hear of Dropping Daylight until this summer when they were touring with Skillet at high schools. I missed the performance, but checked into them. Next thing I know, their other single "Tell Me" is being played on XM channel Squizz. Before I know it, they release "Blame Me", and I remember why I bought their album and wanted to see them on tour with Skillet.

8: Muse "Map of the Problematique"

Thanks to some posters on this board, I am now in love with Muse. My favorite song on this album didn't look like it was going to be released, and I was a sad panda. Then, in June, when performing at Wembley Stadium, the released it as a live single, and it made me happy. Happy enough to make it my number 8 song of the year!

7: Smile Empty Soul "The Hit"

Another song that "technically" came out last year, in late November. However, in bum-fuck where I live, we didn't receive the album until January of this year in local stores, not to mention none of their music was played locally. I think that might be why I liked the song so much, because there was no overkill, I only heard it when I was playing it.

6: Three Days Grace "Never Too Late"

Ahh, Three Days Grace. I am prepared for backlash against my liking them, but whatever. They are one of my favorite bands out now, and from March (when it came out) until, literally, right now I still can not stop hearing it, because the pop stations have picked it up. The good thing is, I can't change the station when it comes on.

5: Chevelle "I Get It"

I could not STAND "Well Enough Alone". I thought it was horrible, and I thought that kicking Joe out of the band was going to be the end of the band. Surely, I thought, if "Well Enough Alone" was as un-impressive as it was, the rest of the album would be. So, I ignored the album. Then I heard "I Get It", it's awesome, nothing like anything else Chevelle has done. I haven't picked up the album yet, but this song alone has almost sold me on it.

4: Daughtry f. Slash "What I Want"

Yeah, I like Daughtry, so what, wanna fight about it? This and "There and Back Again" were my two favorite tracks off of his album, and I just couldn't stop listening to them. Forget "Home", "It's Not Over", and "Over You". This, "There and Back Again", and to a lesser extent, "Crashed", are the songs that should have gotten the airplay off of this album.

3: Buckcherry "Everything"

While everyone else was listening to "Crazy Bitch", I was listening to the other stuff on their album. "Crazy Bitch" was such a...I don't know, but I wasn't fond of it. "Everything", though, is one of the best songs on the album.

2: Papa Roach "Forever"

Seems like every album, Papa Roach have that one song that people can't stop singing. Admit it, everyone sang "Scars" all the time from their previous album, and although us wrestling fans hear way more of "...To Be Loved", "Forever" was an absolutely awesome song. Not the best, though...

1: Black Label Society "Blood is Thicker than Water"

Holy shit do I love this song. When I sat down to make this list, I knew that this was going to be my favorite song of the year. Nothing else even TOUCHED this song. I have liked BLS for a long time, but this song, for some reason, now stands out above everything else they've done. I have this song as a ringtone, as my start-up for windows, I just can't get enough. This year, nothing else even COMPARES to this song's greatness.

There's my top 15, hate on it if you want (which I am sure most of you will, but meh, whatever), but don't forget to post your own top 10/15/20, or whatever you want to do. If you want to only do singles like I did, use wikipedia to see your bands singles...I figure most people will just skip by this, but I thought it'd be interesting.

These are in no particular order, and also a bit biased towards the latter half of the year:

Kanye West - Flashing Lights

It's the perfect blend of strings and beat into a rap song along with West just being amazing as he refers lovingly and yet coldly about the chick in the song.

White Stripes - Icky Thump

The guitar riff of the year easily starts out the song, and it never lets up. Well that and Jack White solves the U.S. immigration debate in roughly four lines. Awesome.

St. Vincent - Jesus Saves, I Spend

Breezy and easy on the ears, I love Annie Clark to death for this. It's probably obvious what it's satirizing...or maybe the indie-pop lull makes it not matter what the subject is, just that it's a great song.

Battles - Atlas

I'll get a lot of heat for it, but Battles is the type of group that you must listen to at least five times to really enjoy. Listening to Mirrored the first time, I didn't get much out of it, and listening to "Atlas" the first time, all I got was that the vocalist sounds like a midget on helium and the song sounds like a demented circus anthem. But with more listens, the snarling guitars get deeper into you until finally, you're hooked.

Mark Ronson - Oh My God (feat. Lily Allen)

The Ronson album is a fine exercise in Brit music cameos and in reminding people that even the most downbeat Coldplay song can somehow be turned upbeat. However, I think this is Ronson's high point as he uses his muse Allen to delve into a Kaiser Chiefs cover much better than the original.

Caribou - Melody Day

Okay, let's see. Brooding electronic artist. Check. Depressing subject matter. Check. A Christmas carol-like jingling noise on top of some nifty strings and pleasant noises...wait, this is the same song, right? Yet this is one of the few moments where I had to fag up and admit that it's...well, it's a downright beautiful song.

Grinderman - No Pussy Blues

I scoffed. I laughed. I then listened and was like...fuck, it's an awesome song. Nick Cave is awesome. This song is awesome. The end.

Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse

One of the great moments in music history where...I have no fucking idea how to describe it. It's like indie-pop except not. Glam except not. I...I don't really know where I'd put it, but it sure is something that was cool.

Spoon - The Underdog

Leave it to Britt Daniel, the master of the simple song, to create another anthemic tune. It's such a pop song at heart and yet it's so finely tuned. It's probably one of the finer moments in music period this year.

Arcade Fire - Intervention

And finally, the song that got buried into my head at the beginning of the year almost as a reminder for how brilliant Neon Bible was. AF are incredible at creating such unique musical experiences that it's hard not to get some form of chill just from the first chord on. Chilling and brilliant.

One of the great moments in music history where...I have no fucking idea how to describe it. It's like indie-pop except not. Glam except not. I...I don't really know where I'd put it, but it sure is something that was cool.

Come on chemic-o-o-o-o-als... Come on chemic-o-o-o-o-als...

That song just makes me want to dance.

10. Phantom Pt. 2 by Justice.

The complete opposite of D.A.N.C.E. Its messy, chaotic and not pop at all. But still in this oddly strange way, its addictive.

9. Atlas by Battles

A bit overrated and the band's novelty hasn't really lasted with them. However, they still wrote some pretty decent tunes.

8. Lovestoned by Justin Timberlake

I know, the album was released last year, but the song was released this year... still amazing...

7. Intervention by Arcade Fire

Holy shit this song is amazing. Too bad the rest of the album was shite.

6. Hunting For Witches by Bloc Party

Fucking stellar track... sounds like the much needed sequel to Helicopters...

5. My Moon My Man by Feist

Who thought Feist could make such a great dance song? Fucking stunning!

4. 1-2-3-4 by Feist.

I was in love with this song the first time I heard it. And usually I hate songs they use in teh I-Pod Commercials, if only because I become overexposed too the song. But I fucking loved it more.

3. Stronger by Kanye West

Kanye's return is him sampling Daft Punk? Who would have thought that! And it was a #1 hit. Fucking amazing.

2. Paper Planes by M.I.A

Sampling the Clash = great fucking tune. Shame about all the commotion about it being censored and her being sabotaged...

1. D.A.N.C.E by Justice.

Just perfeccccccct. Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 meets Daft Punk. Plus, the live footage of it on Kimmell is... amazing.

5: Chevelle "I Get It"

I could not STAND "Well Enough Alone". I thought it was horrible, and I thought that kicking Joe out of the band was going to be the end of the band. Surely, I thought, if "Well Enough Alone" was as un-impressive as it was, the rest of the album would be. So, I ignored the album. Then I heard "I Get It", it's awesome, nothing like anything else Chevelle has done. I haven't picked up the album yet, but this song alone has almost sold me on it.

I Get It is brilliant, so's the album. Also particularly note-worthy are Brainiac and Antisaint.

Here's mine, can't be bothered with descriptions >_>

Yellowcard - The Takedown

Queens of the Stone Age - 3's & 7's

Puddle of Mudd - Famous

Fiction Plane - Cold Water Symmetry, It's A Lie, Death Machine (so hard to single out songs, it's a great album)

Coheed & Cambria - Gravemakers & Gunslingers

Alter Bridge - Blackbird, Rise Today, Brand New Start (again, great album)

I think my most favourite has to be The Pretender by Foo Fighters though. I could just listen to that over and over again.

Guh, I just wrote out a list of 22 and it was pretty easy to get rid of two, but other than that I love them all. Rather than just cross them off individually I just listed the ones I liked the most, a lot simpler.

The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray

- Absolutely loved it first time I heard it and I love it even more now, fantastic.

Kanye West - Stronger

- Sort of "got me into" Kanye West, I'm a big fan now, didn't really like him before.

The Shins - Turn On Me

- Not much to say really. When The Shins are good, they're really good, and here they're really quite good.

Take That - Rule The World

- Couldn't actually believe how good it was when I heard it, much better than anything else Take That have ever done.

Mika - Grace Kelly

- Brilliant song, fun to sing along to when you're drunk.

Timbaland - Apologize

- Didn't like it at first but it grew on me, a lot.

Bloc Party - The Prayer

- Another song that grew on me. Put together really well.

Timbaland - The Way I Are

- Getting a bit cliche now, but yeah, this grew on me too. I was bitter that it got to #1 instead of Foundations ages ago so I just decided I hated it, but it's actually one of the best Hip Hop songs I've ever heard. A year ago I never would've liked this.

Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent

- It's Arctic Monkeys, of course I'm gonna love it. The standout track from their album, I think.

Kate Nash - Foundations

- Kate Nash is generally wank, but this is immense.

Couldn't put them in order, but if I had to choose a favourite it'd be Grace Kelly or Stronger.

When remembering single my mind never really takes into account the year things came out - so I'd need a proper bit of research before being able to put together a real list.

However of the top of my head Men's Needs by The Cribs was a favourite, as was Delivery by Babyshambles. Fluorescent Adolescent was good, quite a fun track to listen to and Muse didn't fail to impress with any of their contributions. I'll keep thinking though.

Come on chemic-o-o-o-o-als... Come on chemic-o-o-o-o-als...

That song just makes me want to dance.

SINGLES/SONGS WITH VIDEOS;

"About You Now" by Sugababes

Lovely video...plus it's elevated the 'new' girl from relative-uggo to...OOOOHHH LOOK AT THE ARSE ON THAT!, level. The tree swingers probably the best tree swinger in the world, ever. But more importantly the song is so god damn catchy, an instant pop classic, no doubt about it. Heidi! :wub: I'd let her be sick on my face during sex.

"Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF84pIhP5UM

Brilliant, brilliant song. Such an epic chorus. So god damn catchy. Top shelf for a tree swinger as well.

"I'Da Called You Woody Joe" by The Gaslight Anthem

Easily the best punk-rock release of the year. I'm expecting AMAZING things from these guys in the future. The album is a perfect blend. Gritty punk-rock tracks, massive epic rock anthems and laid back acoustic numbers. Against Me! meets Springsteen...meets absolute fucking awesome.

"Drive" by The Gaslight Anthem

So good they're here twice. Another fucking ace song. They're just too fucking good. I can listen to this thing non-stop.

"Grace Kelly" by Mika

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA0nG_PurQ

Yes a lot of his shit is basically, shit. But there's a reason he got popular in the first place, and it was this killer track. Pop gold!

"Calling" by Strung Out

Strung Out videos are always weird to me, it makes the band look totally gay, although the "Cemetery" video with the coked up, slutty angel was immense. It's a totally badass song though. And the doouble guitar solo bit, with the jump in stereo is the most hilarious thing ever. :shifty:

"The La-Z-Boy 500" by The Falcon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoF7r9dpX8

Punk-rock at its absolute finest. A shit as fuck/hilarious video, a raw but incredibly catchy tune. Epic!

"If That's Okay With You" by Shayne Ward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5Lu5Bx5co

A massive pile of fucking cheese...but it's so horrifically catchy, impossible not to love. Perfect song for the summer, and it was.

"Sure Feels Good" by Ultrabeat vs. Darren Styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzIQEqt7Xc

You've got to love Ultrabeat. They consistently churn out fucking KILLER singles. Anyone who does not love this or "Pretty Green Eyes"...and that other one..."I Go Crazy" or whatever...then you're a filthy homosexual.

"International TweeXcore Underground" by Los Campesinos!

Great, quirky band. I got into them about this time last year, and got heavily into their demo stuff. I kind of forgot about them until recently. Unfortunately I don't think this song is going to be on the album, when it finally comes out next year. :(

"Flux", "I Still Remember"....fuck it...ANYTHING by Bloc Party

WOW!!!!

There's a shitload more...but I've got family busines to attend to. :shifty:

Edited by YI

10. "Hood Nigga" by Gorilla Zoe

I honestly don't know why I love this song so much. It's probably the good memories of people and parties attached to it.

09. "None Shall Pass" by Aesop Rock

Any hip-hop song that encompasses a good beat, out of the ordinary rhymes and vivid imagery gets an A+ in my book. Aesop Rock did this, along with his entire "None Shall Pass" album.

08. "Misery Business" by Paramore

I've recently jumped on the Paramore bandwagon, after all my friends and basically the entire internet found them when their debut album was released (and before that in relation to my friends, since the band was formed maybe an hour away from my town). Just a good song with catchy vocals and lyrics. What "pop rock" should be.

07. "Duffle Bag Boy" by Playaz Circle & Lil' Wayne

This was my nickname for the longest time among my friends. I introduced many a "hood niggas" to Lil' Wayne (you'd think they'd know who he is), and along with that, this infectious song that I saw advertised first on a ringtone commerical, and then finally the full song on BET's 106 & Park Live.

06. "Ayo Technology" by 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake & Timbaland

JT continues the theory that he can do no wrong. This song has a nice, slow, smooth beat that sounds perfect in a car with a system, and you yourself can actually rap along to it, or sing the chorus. It's a feel good song that's perfect for a party environment (or just getting blown).

05. "Tarantula" by The Smashing Pumpkins

The song that restarted my love for the band. Got me pumped as hell for the new album (which was released on my birthday - awesome) and was played in my car 3 million times to the dismay of my friends and probably everyone else in my town since I usually cranked this sucker to full volume. A perfect "driving really fast" song, much like "The Pretender" by The Foo Fighters.

04. "Can't Tell Me Nothing" by Kanye West

I don't know, fuck it. I can't even explain why I like Kanye West, to be honest. He just makes really good music that you can either chill out and listen to, or blare it at your house or in your car and rap along to. This is my preferred pick for his best song on "Graduation". I like "Stronger" just as much as anyone, but it got old fast. Plus, none of my friends know who Daft Punk are, so they didn't really see why it was so awesome to me.

03. "Breed" by Otep

I'll be hanged by the Cobain dicksuckers of the world for this, but I'm of the mind that this song was written for Otep and her band to play. It fits their image, style and Otep's mindset perfectly, despite the, for the lack of a better term, small lyrics (ie not much to them). It's simple, it's fast, it's hard. And it's Otep's first breakout single, in my opinion. After all, you can't play a song like "Ghostflowers" or "Blood Pig" or "Warhead" on the radio. It just won't work (and it hasn't, atleast not in my neck of the woods).

02. "Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies" by Biffy Clyro

I got my free copy of "Puzzle" in the mail about a week ago (btw, if you get 2 free copies in the mail, why would I buy a third or a fourth for store price? I already have 2! For free!). I've been playing this CD nonstop, and I didn't even know this song was a single. Immediately, this song was a standout to me, along with "As Dust Dances". The lyrics, the pacing of the song, fuck, even the lead singer's voice to me is perfect in every way. Only reason it's not number one is because of...

01. "Capital G" by Nine Inch Nails

This song. It combines my two favorite things in music. Political overtones and Trent Reznor. It's glitchy, it's balls out rock, it's fucking Nine Inch Nails people! Fuck "Survivialism", this is the the song that should have been the lead single. In my opinion, it captures the essence of what the "Year Zero" album is about in a 3:50 song. Fuck the haters, Nine Inch Nails will fluroish in 2008, and take over the mainstream. Mark my words.