YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

Official video to "I Will Possess Your heart" by Death Cab For Cutie. FITTY!!!!!!!!! :wub:

I love how the 'fade out' drums (when the vocals come in) is a fuck up, which they kept in...it sounds awesome.

Edited by YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of get a 'start of Transatlanticism (song)' vibe from it.

I don't really understand it's a 'rock' album thing...well from the 3 songs I've heard. Seems more in a kind of "Trans"/"Photo Album" style stuff again, but still hardly ROCK like reviews have been saying.

Edited by YI

New Portishead out today, can't fucking wait. Saw them last year and the couple of new tracks they played were awesome, I've got phenomenally high hopes about the new CD.

Also, I only found out yesterday that The Lucksmiths released an album last November. No idea how that one passed me by, but I've ordered it and can't fucking wait!

It's not been actively worked on for that long - the band took a pretty lengthy hiatus over the past ten years or so, and only "reformed" fairly recently to work on it, from what I can understand they started work on the album around 2005 or so. If the tracks they played at ATP are anything to go by, though, it sounds fucking incredible - much heavier and darker and more intense than the last two albums. I'm going to pick it up when I go out later today, really looking forward to it.

Most badass album cover of the year? I think so;

LaGrecia_onparallels.png

"On Parallels" by LaGrecia (New project of Jason Shevchuk of Kid Dynamite and None More Black)

Albums due June or something. I'm not huge about the song on their myspace now, but their old one "You Like Baseball But I Like Ghosts" (or something similar) was awesome. Can't wait to hear it. Should be a great year for 'punk'.

Edited by YI

New Portishead is interesting so far...very odd choice of opening track, and all very minimalist and bleak...although the second track is so odd, it's like...the main body of the song is pretty much the same all the way through, but about a quarter of the way through there's a blast of Silver Apples homage synths, and then a little while later a proper drone riff out of nowhere, then more Silver Apples, then back to gloomy acoustic-ness.

Very good so far, although not at all what I was expecting. The thing is, though, I don't know what I was expecting.

...more Silver Apples on track 5, nice.

Edited by Skummy

Not sure how it made this post...when I pressed "Preview"...but whatever....my internet is being screwy as fuck.

10 SONGS FOR THE WEEK!!!

1. "The Baltic Sea" by The Social Services

http://www.myspace.com/thesocialservices (on the player)

NEW ENTRY (Swedish/Scottish indie-pop = :wub:)

2. "Talking Bird" by Death Cab For Cutie

(LIVE)

NEW ENTRY

3. "Help Me" by Alkaline Trio

http://www.myspace.com/alkalinetrio (on the player)

UP 6 (2nd Week)

4. "Bright Red Helmet" by Styrofoam

http://www.myspace.com/styrofoam (on the player)

DOWN 2 (2nd Week)

5. "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab For Cutie

(Official Video)

DOWN 1 (5th Week)

6. "Creeper" by Islands

http://www.myspace.com/islands (on the player)

NEW ENTRY

7. "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King

NEW ENTRY

8. "Get Up" by Goldfinger

http://www.myspace.com/goldfinger (on the player)

DOWN 5 (5th Week)

9. "Photosythesis" by Frank Turner

http://www.myspace.com/frankturner (on the player)

DOWN 3 (2nd Week)

10. "A Multiple Party Perspective" by Rain Over Battle

(LIVE)

DOWN 3 (6th Week)

10 ALBUMS FOR THE WEEK!!!

1. "A Thousand Words" by Styrofoam - 2008 - Electro-Pop - NO CHANGE/2nd Week

...and every second's worth...a thousand words.

2. "Sink Or Swim" by The Gaslight Anthem - 2007 - Punk-Rock - UP 1/7th Week

"All hope abandon, ye who enter here", said the sign I read that was hanging above her bed. And the sirens were a-wailing, but a man can ignore the signs, you gotta keep a good eye on the winding road ahead. And my first sin was a young American girl. My first sin was a young American girl.

3. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter - UP 1/11th Week

Do you run hard the wrong way, when tired? Do you feel lost, endless strain? Fuck where I'm going, look where I've been. Clear, yes your leading. I'm following.

4. "Arm's Way" by Islands - 2008 - Indie-Rock - NEW ENTRY

The kids don't know shit, everything they've learned is wrong. Find the girls on the block listening in, saying "lets get some".

5. "Reason To Believe" by Pennywise - 2008 - Punk-Rock - DOWN 3/3rd Week

We are the dregs of the Western World, the steroid boys and video girls. We are the viral internet stars, and the anchorman can't stop crying.

6. "Kezia" by Protest The Hero - 2005 - Prog-Rock/Punk-Rock - NEW ENTRY

Maybe someday when, when this bloody skull has dried. Know our city is in ruins, when our greatest source of pride, is a monument of dicks and ribs, and the gender crown we wore. Where underneath, a plaque will read, a plqaue will read..."No Woman...(yadda yadda)....IS A WHORE!"

7. "Alas, I Cannot Swim" by Laura Marling - 2008 - Folk-Acoustic/Pop - UP 1/2nd Week

And Mother, I blame you, therein trying to be you again. For I have become you, and I know every part of the game. And Father, I love you, but how can you watch as I push her away? I cannot forgive you for bringing me up this way.

8. "Twelve Small Steps, One Giant Disappointment" by Bad Astronaut - 2006 - Indie-Rock - NEW ENTRY

This Vehicle is breaking down, someday I'll stop. Can't get these tired wheels to go round. Back in the shop. A month of treatment for the wear and tear, then fall apart. Cross the state border, disappear, back in the shop again.

9. "Twisted By Design" by Strung Out - 1998 - Punk-Rock - NEW ENTRY

I see you walking down the boulevard alone, and you're screaming at the top of your lungs all night. And I wonder to myself, "How did you get to be this King without a thone?"

10. "Love Ire & Song" by Frank Turner - 2008 - Acoustic/Folk - DOWN 5/2nd Week

I wont sit down. And I wont shut up. And most of all, I will not grow up.

Edited by YI

IAceI's 5 Songs To Listen To

Some stuff I'm listening to at the minute and enjoying. Give it a listen, it'll be a copy of YI's but probably not as liked.

1. "In One Ear" by Cage The Elephant

http://www.myspace.com/cagetheelephant

"Now I'm a phony in disguise, tryin' to make the radio, I'm an anti-social anarchist 'cause I like so-and-so."

Clinging onto top spot by the skin of its teeth (and by virtue of the girl in the black dress with white spots' tats) is "In One Ear" by Cage the Elephant. It's getting more and more airplay now it seems, it's catchy and funky and while not a stand out track over some other stuff out there. I think it's just got the rough charm and awesomeness it needs to make it number one.

NO CHANGE

2. "Say Something Say Anything" by Blood Red Shoes

If you haven't jumped on the Blood Red Shoes bandwagon - why the hell not? Fast becoming hot property on the UK market, and possibly playing their last few rounds of dingy venues where it's all crowded and probably totally awesome. Plus they say they quite like stage invasions, so if anyone goes to see them - invade the stage and grab her fucking arse for me. Please and thank you. Love this song, I was indifferent on the album when I got it, but this has always been a great song since I heard it. Listen.

NEW ENTRY

3. "Keep An Open Mind" by Captain

It snuck in at 5 having not had much play time last week, I've listened to it a fair bit since then and I have to say. I absolutely fucking love it. The catchiness of the whole song is just something I love in a song, and again in 10 years time no one will probably remember it. In 10 weeks time no one might. But as a song right now, it's really really good and you should all listen to it. The fact that as soon as it starts, you just sorta get hooked in by the rhythm is why it's just an awesome song. Really good and I enjoy listening to it when I can.

Up 2

4. "Learning To Lose" by Breaking Rome

http://www.myspace.com/breakingrome

So yeah, I probably heard this song 2 days ago thanks to Mr. Zane Lowe - my idol. And now I'm getting on the team of pimping them out. They won Fresh Meat with Zane on Radio 1, beating out a funky Rivers and a lackluster Wigs if you ask me. To begin with I prefer The Rivers' song, plus they're touring with The Kooks, but this little band won me over with their lack of myspace friends, lack of profile views and lack of song listens. Let's right that and everyone go listen to Learning To Lose on their myspace player. It's infectious.

NEW ENTRY

5. "You Can Do Athletics, BTW" by We Are The Physics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClKYc3rQzms

Yeah - so I understand most will probably hate this. But, there's just something about it I love. I heard about them through a Radio 1 podcast highlighting the Glasgow music scene (Steve Lamacq) and I decided to go give this band a listen, and I have to say - I just love this song for it's kinda random, zany ways. At the same time, I think they also have the kinda edge that can see them get some more Radio 1 playtime. Give them a listen and see how it goes.

NEW ENTRY

Edited by IAceI