YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

That first turned my attention to them, actually.

I've been aware of them for a while, though - Plan B, which is pretty much my Bible in terms of what new music to check out, has been whoring them for a long time, they've been on the cover twice (only band I can think of which has), they just never interested me beyond "The International Tweexcore Underground" being a good song.

But then You! Me! Dancing! came on my mp3 player today, and I really really enjoyed it. And then I listened to "Knee Deep At ATP", again largely for the name, and it cut me deep, man. Related to it and shit. They're just good fun twee indie, and clearly music geeks themselves, which is always a bit of a plus.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Weakerthans need to come back to the UK, and they need to do a LOAD of shit from "Fallow". They did "Confessions Of A Futon-Revolutionist" and "Greatest Hits Collection" when I saw them early in the year, but I want more. It's really helped put me in a better mood after an absolute shitstorm of an evening;

"Wellington's Wednesdays" (love fan made videos, I also love the dyke-y looking bird, who actually looks like John K Samson :shifty:)

"Anchorless" (Done live with the fella from The Mountain Goats)

"Diagnosis" (Official video...WHOO!!!...looks shit :shifty:)

"Anchorless" (AGAIN!...with Propagandhi) (I know, a very different Propagandhi to now, from your average Fat Wreck style punk, to a thrash inspired punk band with some nuts and innovative arrangements, but I still cannot imagine Samson in them :shifty:)

"Letter Of Resignation" (original Propagandhi version...although all recorded by Samson)

"Fallow"

"Confessions Of A Futon-Revolutionist"

Basically the entire thing, like all Weakerthans albums, is fucking perfect. I hope we don't need to wait 4-year again for another album. :(

Oh, and calling all punk-rock fans. This Is A Standoff are coming back early next year. They're playing Sunderland, so, people in the area, think about going...as apparently the turnout (at the same venue) for Strike Anywhere (arguably a bigger band) was apparently fucking AWFUL (like 20 people).

Edited by YI

The brand spanking new, Wonder Years song ("Don't Open The Fridge!") makes me just WANT TO FUCKING ROCK THE FUCK OUT! Like, the chorus...I just...I just...NEED TO!

http://www.myspace.com/thewonderyearspa

Apparently from a split with All Or Nothing, due next year...I wanted a full length. :( But All Or Nothing are epic too, so should be worth checking out.

All Or Nothing have their song up too, which rocks - http://www.myspace.com/allornothingpunk

Edited by YI

BE EXCITED! "Best Of Gaylist" shall be uploaded tonight. Brand spanking new tracks from the epic names of the Gaylist in the past year. :shifty: Anyone interested yet? :shifty:

After that, there'll be a little break (as I've done far too many over the festive period) and then, while waiting for 2009 to get into 'full swing' there will be an "OLD SCHOOL GAYLIST~!" celebrating the now defunct bands of yesteryear...already pencilled in are; FireApple Red, Darien The Pedestrian, The Holiday Plan, American Football, Cap'n Jazz, Carissa's Wierd and Brian Fallon & The CRT (and maybe This Charming Man :shifty:).

Edited by YI

This is a really daft question/point which really wasn't worth a seperate topic and I'd assume the right people to get it would be wandering about, so:

I was in work on a Saturday a few weeks back, and that naff Peter Kay christmas song came on. The lad who was working with me had never heard it, and partway through the second verse asked me 'Is that Ryan Jarman?'. I was stunned for a second, but if you listen back, did Peter Kay base his Irish transsexual singing voice on that of a Crib? I'd do a youtube comparison but I really can't be bothered...