YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I just heard/saw the greatest 'genre' in the world ever. "Fluff-Gruff"...basically the extension of 'Gruff-Punk', where it's basically the same vibe, but minus the harsh 'gruff' vocals;

Gruff-Punk bands;

Hot Water Music

Jawbreaker

Lifetime

Lock & Key

None More Black

The Falcon

Polar Bear Club

Fluff-Gruff bands;

Dillinger Four

The Lawrence Arms

The Gaslight Anthem (mostly first album stuff, although stuff like "Patient Ferris Wheel" fits in)

In The Red

Jean Claude Jam Band

The Draft

...just awesome...I shall be totally abusing this term from now on...not particularly sure where the crossover point is, as I'd personally probably say PBC, at least the album stuff, is fairly 'light' vocally.

:o Kyte are touring with School Of Seven Bells in February. :D Either Glasgow on the 24th or Leeds on the 25th I think. :D

Dates;

23 Feb 2009 20:00

Whelans Dublin, Ireland

24 Feb 2009 20:00

Captain’s Rest Glasgow, Scotland

25 Feb 2009 20:00

Cockpit Leeds, UK

26 Feb 2009 20:00

Cargo London, UK

27 Feb 2009 20:00

Night & Day Manchester, UK

28 Feb 2009 20:00

Start The Bus Bristol, UK

1 Mar 2009 20:00

Audio Brighton, UK

Good God it's in the Captain's Rest? That's such a horrible place to be. Grotty little pub on Great Western Road near my old flat and next door to a bookies. Ugh. Also, who the heck are Kyte?

http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

One of the finest bands to appear all year, putting out two absolutely incredible EP's. Some of my favourite vocal work, while not as falsetto-y as Sigur Ros, it's so soothing and you can just submerge yourself into their stuff...then they have the odd tune like "Bridges In The Sky", "Secular Ventures" or "Home" where the go all Postal Service on you.

School Of Seven Bells are similarly awesome, great stuff to submerge yourself in...two proper fit lasses in them too;

http://www.myspace.com/schoolofsevenbells

Basically, it'll be an amazing show, as they compliment each other perfectly, I honestly don't think why I never thought about the two playing together.

Don't you love it when you stumble across an album from earlier in the year you haven't heard in an age?

Pulling a bunch of stuff from my external hard drive onto my laptop today. Got listening to "From The Bottom" by Off With Their Heads and "Rivers Arms" by Balmorhea. The first is really catchy, gruff vocalled punk-rock, one of those albums to really let go to. Fabulous stuff. The 2nd is perfect chillout music. Been so long since I listened to it. I seriously forgot how good it was; "The Winter", "Lament", "Barefoot Pilgrims"...awesome tracks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgo6xt0Ft4

:wub:

He also has a cover of "Backstreets" by Springsteen up on his new personal myspace...and will apparently be putting out a solo album or something, called "The Blues, Mary" next year.

Actually, fuck, The Band cover is seriously fucking immense. The Springsteen one is a little meh (I like the female backing), but the youtube link one...:o

Edited by YI

Good God it's in the Captain's Rest? That's such a horrible place to be. Grotty little pub on Great Western Road near my old flat and next door to a bookies. Ugh. Also, who the heck are Kyte?

To be fair, Captain's Rest is a shit hole but my one time there I went to see this random post rock band. Can't remember their name but they were absolutely immense.

I live about five minutes from Great Western Road...I think. Is that the road with Oran Mor at the corner? Turning off from Byres Road?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgo6xt0Ft4

:wub:

He also has a cover of "Backstreets" by Springsteen up on his new personal myspace...and will apparently be putting out a solo album or something, called "The Blues, Mary" next year.

Actually, fuck, The Band cover is seriously fucking immense. The Springsteen one is a little meh (I like the female backing), but the youtube link one...:o

Gaslight have it done it live with the half of Thrice that people can actually name:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iNp0uFNvQgY&...feature=related (sound quality's not the best)

When I moved to Glasgow my mum said never go down Woodlands Road at night. True story.

I always walked down Woodlands Road at night. Every time I was out in town I'd walk home up Woodlands. And when I walked to the 24 hour shop at two in the morning in my pyjamas and dressing gown. Maybe I was the person she was warning you about.