YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets go...missed Dan Potthast.

Caught the last 20 or so minutes of Random Hand. How the singer can sing, play trombone and dance around like a shirtless cuntrag, with such ease, amazes me. Really not much of a fan.

Streetlight Manifesto...FUCKING AMAZING!!! Their set was 'more fun' than Weakerthans, who were probably my favourite live band of the year. Seriously, I was still soaked through after my 20/25 minute travel home. Much bigger turnout than a I thought there'd be (ska's a lot more popular than I thought, I'd say Academy 2 was either sold out or bordering it)...and people were FUCKING INTO IT!!! Big pit...just general craziness. The Streetlight trumpeter is the coolest bloke ever. Everyone had solos throughout the night. Epic.

I'm missing a few of the first album stuff, I think (only did one thing from Keasbey);

Intro -> Would You Be Impressed

We Will Fall Together

Point -> Keasbey Nights -> Counterpoint (MOST...EPIC...THING...EVER!!!)

Down, Down, Down To Mephisto's Cafe

**something with a chugging start, which I can't really remember**

Linoleum (NOFX cover...GREAT~!)

It's A Wonderful Live (Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution cover)

Everything Went Numb

**something with a drum intro...which I thought was gonna be "...Receiving End..." it wasn't :()**

Watch It Crash

Failing, Flailing (awesome circular 'Wall Of Death' thing halfway trhough, can't remember its real name)

Here's To Life

-------------------

Somewhere In The Between

Ska girls are fucking nuts...and hot...that is all.

Edited by YI

Fucking hell. Got a MASSIVE bruise on the outside of my right forearm. Get that goes nicely with a natty bruise on my lower right leg, and my cracked halfway big left toenail...awesome gig. :D

I also love how many of Streetlight's tunes sound like sea-shanties.

Edited by YI

Due to pulling an allnighter to do coursework last night...I have fucked my sleep patterns so have basically spent the vast majority of the night awake...and as such...this chrimbo time we will see 3-gaylists;

Gaylist 7 - just a straight up regular one, ft; fitty who used to be in Pipettes, Jean Claude Jam Band, Tom Gabel, Dark Captain Light Captain etc.

Gaylist Cover/Remix - all done, might be uploaded soon...some interesting stuff; NFG doing Bjork, Weatherbox doing Animal Collective, The Social Services doing Europe, Kyte doing Peter Gabriel etc.

BEST OF 2008 GAYLIST - My favourite artists from the Gaylists throughout the year will return, with 'new' (different) songs...basically have this sorted (although I may add another 5-songs :shifty:)

Also proper boring in the way of music at the minute. Always winds down at the close of the year for albums, and most the blogs I go to are getting shut down again. :(

iLiKETRAiNS have a Christmas EP/album or something, will have to check that out.

Edited by YI

Covers one sounds interesting, as long as it's covers of songs I've heard and not shout-outs to obscure bands that nobody's bloody heard of.

Yeah, the covers one...the remixes are generally of 'obscure' (or 'obscurer' stuff) but the covers are generally well known songs, except one or two, but the bands covering them are pretty popular, so it evens out.

Here's the tracklist...I'll probably upload it tomorrow;

1). "Joga" by New Found Glory (orig. Bjork)

2). "Deathwish" by MiMi Soya (Auteur remix)

3). "Everybody's Talkin" by Weakling & King (orig. Harry Nilsson)

4). "The Final Countdown" by The Social Services (orig. Europe)

5). "Trenchfoot" by Chuck Ragan (orig. Leatherface)

6). "All My Friends" by The Main Drag (orig. LCD Soundsystem)

7). "Fireworks" by Weatherbox (orig. Animal Collective)

8). "Cocaine Blues" by The Loved Ones (orig. Johnny Cash)

9). "The Wires From My Broken Record Player" by Cars And Trains (Electric President remix)

10). "Out Of My Head" by Ashlee Simpson (Lions Or Lions remix)

11). "This Ain't A Scene, It's A God Damn Arms Race" by Roommate (orig. Fall Out Boy)

12). "About You Now" by Last Man Down (orig. Sugababes)

13). "Once Upon A Time" by The Gaslight Anthem (orig. Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise)

14). "Dancing Queen" by Frank Turner (orig. ABBA)

15). "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by Death Cab For Cutie (orig. The Smiths)

16). "Ceremony" by RickoLus (orig. Joy Division)

17). "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" by Matt Pond PA (orig. Neutral Milk Hotel)

18). "Along The Wall" by Leigh Nash (Styrofoam remix)

19). "Solsbury Hill" by Kyte (orig. Peter Gabriel)

20). "Crazy" by SJ Esau (orig. Gnarls Barkley)

I've also got a bunch of good ones left over which could be used in another one down the line.

Edited by YI

Also, how come nobody ever told me about "Friendly Fires"? I recognised the name, but someone should have told me they were great. It was only when I saw this photo of them with Lykke Li looking FIIIIIIT that I decided to check out their myspace :shifty:;

61787510zs7.jpg

......yummy!

Maaaaaaan, some of those covers look to be sick. Animal Collective, LCD Soundsystem, The Smiths(obv), Joy Division and the Neutral Milk Hotel ones sound sick.

I have Friendly Fires but don't listen that much, Lykke Li is good purely for I'm Good, I'm Gone.

The coolest shit I've listened to this week is Sin Fang Bous, everyone listen. (nod)

Best Death Cab Cover = "Wait"...which I prefer to the original (which took my a million years to track down).

And if I've used Roommate before, you can either have a choice of Portman covering Hot Water Music ("Trusty Chords") or Portman covering Thrice ("Deadbolt").