The Anime Thread

Ruki

Since when do the Japanese DVDs have English subs on them?

They don't, but with the subs available online, if he has the proper software, he can actually rip the DVD to his computer and simply plop the subs in.

As an aside:

TAF Award for Best character design 2008: Atsushi Nishigori (Gurren Lagann)

TAF Award for Best character design 2006: Kenichi Yoshida (Eureka 7)

Gurren Lagann surpasses Eureka 7 for best character design (as in, cast as a whole) for an anime. I don't know how old this news is, but it's still happy news for me >_>

I dunno... it could be argued that the only real sloppiness there is between the two time arcs and, even then, the first time arc was far less serious due to the second because the second had the fate of the entire planet on the line, as well as the fate of everything they'd done to reach that point, whereas the first was more of the cast discovering their potential and pushing forward to try and overtake the surface. So the transition of joke characters to serious ones (see: Kittan post-timeskip vs. Kittan pre-timeskip) actually worked rather well.

Which characters are you saying didn't stay consistent, stok?

Oooooooh. Gotcha.

Well, uh, Kittan certainly was drawn more serious in the second timearc >_>

I always considered character design a mix of the character's look and their development, but if that's the case then my bad :P

But yeah Attenborough and even Leeron could be considered a bit out-of-place from the rest, yeah. Still, the design for them proved to work well enough anyway :P

So my girlfriend has asked me to find out if you guys have any idea when the Avatar: The Last Airbender DVD's will be out. In Australia we only have 2 volumes so far, apparently. Is there any word on if they actually are coming out?

What is the general opinion on Avatar here, anyway?

Avatar's beyond awesome, probably one of the few credible American-originating animes ever made, at least in my opinion anyway. I've got the box sets for all of Seasons 1 and 2 right now, keeping up with Avatar: Season 3 the best I can (WHEN THE HELL IS 14 COMING OUT? D: ) and will be getting its boxset when it comes out too. No clue about the Australian release dates though, mate, sorry :(

You SHOULD be able to get them on order and shipped to you though, if you order them online. Also, anyone else hear about the reviews Avatar's getting over in Japan? I heard it was actually very well-received by the Japanese anime community when it was finally brought over, so... definitely glad to hear that :)

EDIT: HOW DARE YOU DOUBT MY LOVE FOR AVATAR STOK YOU SILLY LITTLE BITCH >_>

Edited by The Mask of Neutrality

Because I don't see you talking about new episodes as much as those other two do? :shifty:

I was here the last time there was an aired episode, I was there talking with them about it!

I've been waiting impatiently for the latest one to come out, what is there to talk about at the moment when there's nothing new yet that's been added? :(

Avatar's beyond awesome, probably one of the few credible American-originating animes ever made, at least in my opinion anyway. I've got the box sets for all of Seasons 1 and 2 right now, keeping up with Avatar: Season 3 the best I can (WHEN THE HELL IS 14 COMING OUT? D: ) and will be getting its boxset when it comes out too. No clue about the Australian release dates though, mate, sorry :(

You SHOULD be able to get them on order and shipped to you though, if you order them online. Also, anyone else hear about the reviews Avatar's getting over in Japan? I heard it was actually very well-received by the Japanese anime community when it was finally brought over, so... definitely glad to hear that :)

Big time. By the time you reach the third season, looking back at the first is pretty crazy... they've came a long way since then.

As far as Avatar goes, the first season is... good-ish? I suppose? For a Nick series? It has its moments of awesome (primarily thanks to Sokka and Iroh), and some really good episodes here and there. But it's the second season that MAKES the series, first by introducing Toph and Ozai's Angels, who make the show infinitely more awesome by their very presence, and then by improving on the fights (the Western homage in The Chase, for example, is great), and finally by going to a much, much darker, creepier place than any other Nickelodeon show has ever really gone before with the sheer fucked-upness of Ba Sing Se.

The third season's, for the most part, improved upon the second, with very few filler episodes (and most of the ones that ARE are still good, except for The Painted Lady) and the fight scenes becoming truly impressive (and we haven't even gotten to any of the truly major battles yet).

And also Princess Azula is one of my favorite villains of all time, as the fact that she's been my avatar on EWB twice now should imply.

For me, the first season was decent up 'til they reached the Northern Water Tribe, and then it started really picking up steam. I honestly think the season finale for the first season was absolutely perfect the way they'd handled it, and it remains one of my favorite season-ending episode series for a show... I actually liked it better then the season end for season two, which was also pretty fucking spectacular. That being said, I do agree with GoGo: season two DOES make the series. Everything kicks off from there and just doesn't stop. You get some of the best characters of the show brought in at the time, and some excellent character development for the ones already there.

Season three's been fantastic thus far and has built the characters very, very well-- in particular though being Azula and co., plus Zuko. The primary characters (or the "original three") have been built nicely too, and Toph's character continues to grow with every episode they include her in, although it's usually only subtly.

I loved how she wound up being the only one to give Zuko a chance at first when he tries to join the group... I know she barely knew him to begin with and he had a better chance with her since she was friends with his uncle, but still, there was something about Toph actually going out of her way to try and understand someone like that that really built on her character.

So yeah, been waiting pretty damn impatiently for the next episode... I really hope it's a good one.

Iroh is the best character I've encountered so far.

I love how he confuses people by acting like he knows nothing but in reality he's a very knowledgeable and powerful old man. Like the earthbenders who try to take him to Ba Sing Se (spelling?).