The Anime Thread

Ruki

Why is it that the mentor/student relationship is always awkward and slightly uncomfortable in anime? I was channel surfing last night and caught Bleach - Yoruichi with some Soi.. something.. girl - and the Soi chick kept babbling on about how much she would have followed Yoruichi anywhere and idolized her and it was just.. very awkward. Bizarre. Bleach isn't the only one to do it, though, because it seems like in a fair bit of anime you wind up with that mentor/student relationship that seems to be borderlining on lesbian. It's just bizarre that they apparently can't get the "mentor/student" relationship down just right. >_>

Bah. I went to go buy Yotsuba&! vol 6 a few days ago, and the bookstore didn't have it in. Strangely, they had about 3 or 4 copies of volume 4, and they rarely put out more than 2 copies of a particular volume of a series on the shelves at a time.

Its all good, though, because I picked up Negima vol 17 and spent part of the money that would have been used to purchase both on lunch for myself and my father (long story short: I don't drive for medical reasons) at Taco Bell instead.

Damn it, where is my new Avatar, this shit is maddening :(

Mid-April, supposedly. It's made even worse by the fact that Nick has put up a game based on the upcoming two-parter on their website... ages before actually airing the fucking two-parter. It's ridiculous.

Why is it that the mentor/student relationship is always awkward and slightly uncomfortable in anime? I was channel surfing last night and caught Bleach - Yoruichi with some Soi.. something.. girl - and the Soi chick kept babbling on about how much she would have followed Yoruichi anywhere and idolized her and it was just.. very awkward. Bizarre. Bleach isn't the only one to do it, though, because it seems like in a fair bit of anime you wind up with that mentor/student relationship that seems to be borderlining on lesbian. It's just bizarre that they apparently can't get the "mentor/student" relationship down just right. >_>

Well...I can't speak for all animes but in that case Cloudy it is because...they are yuri/lesbians. It's a lot more obvious that is what they are going for in the Japanese version from what I've seen.

Edited Note: Least on Soi's half of the relationship, they kinda leave it more up in the air on Yoruichi's half.

Edited by Protoman Version 2.5

Yeah, in regards to the Yorouichi/Soifon thing, that's... pretty much exactly what it is, at least on Soifon's end. There are little omake segments outside of the main plot that make it brutally obvious that she's in love with her.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Yeah the 165 preview omake is just Yorouchi showering and Sui Fong trying to take pictures of her.

Hot.

But okay, I'll exclude the Bleach example but my question still remains. :shifty:

I know this isn't exactly anime, but it isn't exactly comic book either. Manga kinda falls between them

I've a feeling that this'll prob have been asked less than a page ago but can anyone reccomend any comic book series after Death Note?

It was the most addictive thing i've probably ever read

We pretty much cover manga in here too so that's a fair question to ask in this thread.

If you liked Death Note you'd probably like Code Geass, but that's anime, not manga (though there IS manga for it, I guess). So I dunno.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

I've offended the God(dess?) of Manga somehow. All the new volumes I'd pre-ordered on Amazon reached their day of release and...suddenly changed their status to 'not and stock and we have no idea when they ever will be...check back in June, maybe'. Annoyed, I went out after work today to try and locate some of them personally. I went to Orbital Comics, Forbidden Planet AND Gosh - and in all three I found not a single new manga for any of the series that I buy. Not even the series I don't really want but buy out of moral obligation after having read them online for free. And I know new volumes should have been released, damn it! I knew this well in advance!

So in order to placate my own disappointment I went and spent rough double what I would have spent on mangas I wanted on DVDs I wasn't particularly fussed over instead. :(

The Kirby anime that was broadcast in the US all the way back in 2002? I presume there's not another one?

My lack of new manga has led me to start reading some more online, largely as a way to fill a slow Saturday evening... I've started reading the Mai-Otome manga which, like Mai-HiME, bears virtually zero relation to what was eventually put into the anime version. Still, this is a good thing, because at the moment 'Mashiro-chan' is actually a boy who's disguised himself as a girl (the deceased princess, no less) to go to an All Girl's School. Oh, lawlz.

Oh it'll be entertaining enough, but I once again find myself glad that someone took a look at the Mai-HiME/Otome mangas and said "you know what, we like the premise - but we're going to take out a fair chunk of the shameless cheese and reduce the fan service factor about fifty points".