The Anime Thread

Ruki

At certain points (mostly during the first 1/4 of the episode, but spread throughout) the image would freeze but with the audio still playing. It would re-sync a second or two later, but I'll have missed the subtitles for a line of dialogue. Plus I can now see all the sub characters in the title sequence that I never knew about before. :shifty:

I suppose it was coming, really, since I hadn't downloaded a new codec or filter pack in close to a year. Plus what with gg fansubs hating VLC player and all (their words, not mine), they've always been a little trickier with their encoding than most.

Edited by stokeriño

Ah. I've just used it on real player for the most part, probably why I'm not having any problems.

I can't remember who knows Zero's identity. What the sub-main-characters were doing at the end of the series, which of them are possibly dead and the sort.

Oh yeah, speaking of which:

Guilford implied that Cornellia is in fact NOT dead, right? Or did I misinterpret that bit in episode 2 due to not paying enough attention?

Yeah, looks like she isn't dead after all. If she were, she would have been conclusively listed as such, and if Guilford thinks she's alive she's probably alive. It was interesting, since the other people when Guilford assumed control seemed to be a little taken aback by his invoking her name, so it might be that she simply vanished after her fight with Lelouch.

In any case, Guilford better not die, dammit. Especially not before Cornelia returns and kicks ass, as she generally tends to do when not making psychotic metaphors about dancing.

I think it's worthy echoing GoGo's sentiments of just how awesome Guildford is. Well, expanding on them, he's a bad ass spectacle wearing bastard.

And to make this worth the spoiler tags. Rollo is Lelouch's brother - but how!? He's a Britannian spy? He can control Knightmare Frames - he couldn't stand up in a light breeze. Sorted.

The FYE store at the mall near me has a buy one, get one free sale on Funimation anime DVDs right now. I couldn't decide what I wanted to get (Went there to get Black Cat vol 1, but they didn't have any copies of vol 2), but I asked and the sale should be on for another week. I'll probably go back Monday.

And the book store still didn't have Yotsuba&! vol 6 in, so I may have to actually order it next time I go back. (I had a 25% off one item coupon I got it my e-mail (Borders Rewards, but its a Waldenbooks store) that expired tomorrow and ended up using it on something else)

As far as I can tell someone has gathered together all worldwide stocks of Yotsuba&! vol. 6 and burnt them in some kind of funeral pyre. Either that or someone bought all the copies for themselves to use as bricks in a unique manga house they're building, then torched the publishers so no more are getting printed. One of those.

Edited by stokeriño

Code Geass episode 3:

So Guildford's grand scheme to capture Zero is the traditional bait tactic, or what we shall call the "Sheriff of Nottingham" plan. For shame Guildford, for shaaame.

So, to answer my previous queries: Viletta is an agent, but everybody else's memories have been fucked with. Plus Nunnally (and Nina) have been skilfully removed from all traces of academy life. Quite a thorough job that.

Catch the quip at the expense of the Italian military in the brief Suzaku/EU battle scene! You can't mention the Italian military without mocking them for their uselessness!

The special contact lens thing is great. Kallen still manages to be fan service (le sigh) even without the bunny suit. Lelouch proves himself once again to be cleverer than everybody else but Rollo has freaky mind-freezing powers and now we're in a stitch. Cock.

Oh, and Schneizel's back! He always was worrying good at his job...

Edited by stokeriño

GEASS THOUGHTS ENGAGE:

I'm really wondering how they'll... resolve all of this. You've got Lelouch stuck fighting Rollo, Xingke apparently fucking up the Black Knights' program, Guilford threatening to execute Ougi and co... all at once. And surely they're not killing off Ougi or Toudou (or to a lesser extent Tamaki and the rest of the Shiseiken) this early, so something has to go wrong with that.

Decent episode overall, it was nice to see the Student Council serve some sort of purpose this time. I was right about Viletta but wasn't expecting an entire security force. And Jesus something is up with Rollo and I want to find out what because dude is crazy.

Also... yeah, Kallen, man. That's. Jesus, Kallen.

And now, on the Avatar front! First, horrible, things first; the series finale will be in July. Fucking July. So we'll get new episodes... sometime within that time period. Boiling Rock is apparently airing in Brazil first or something since there was a teaser aired there, so. Yes. Fuck you, Nickelodeon. Now, on to the spoilers for what we're definitely getting based on a mix of the preview for Boiling Rock, the first five minutes of The Ember Island Players, the DVD summary for volume four of Book Three, and the trailer for the second half of Book Three.

- Suki returns in Boiling Rock, as I get the distinct impression that the main point of the two-parter is rescuing her and also having another throwdown with the Dangerous Ladies. In particular, there were clips of Suki vs. Ty Lee (and if Ty Lee loses I'm going to fucking groan. She can take out ten "elite" earthbenders at once but can't beat Suki, on a high-wire, without her armor or fans? Bullshit) and quite possibly Zuko vs. Mai which I am seriously looking forward to.

- The Ember Island Players is a comedy episode pretty much recapping the entire first two seasons via the medium of a play put on about the series by terrible, terrible Fire Nation actors (including an overweight Katara who is overdramatic and prone to monologuing about "hope," a Sokka who pretty much talks about nothing but meat which okay is fair enough, a woman playing Aang, and a Zuko who, besides his scar being on the wrong side of his head, is so painfully accurate that... the real Zuko gets indignant at being portrayed as being stiff and humorless). It looks absolutely hilarious. It also looks like something that will make no sense in canon context, as it's such a thorough parody that characters like Jet are included and there's really no way anyone doing a play could possibly know about Jet's existence unless they somehow consulted one of the nameless Freedom Fighters.

- Here's a truly insane one. According to the DVD summary of the final DVD, Ozai's master plan is... giving himself a new title, that of the "Phoenix Lord" whilst making Azula the Fire Lord, so it's her that Aang has to face. It makes me wonder if the staff realized that they had failed to make Ozai an impressive antagonist in any sense and just went "fuck it, Azula's better." At the very least this probably means that Zuko won't beat Azula in a fight, which makes me smile, and instead he'll likely face his dad. Though really, it should be Iroh beating the shit out of Ozai.

- Also, Azula makes some seriously amazing crazyfaces in the trailer, so at some point she's finally going to lose her shit. Epic. Also, I think I briefly saw Jun (the bounty hunter from one episode in the first season) but I'm not quite sure. If she comes back that is fucking awesome, I loved her.

So everyone Geass R2... amazing or amazing thus far?

You know the Black Knights will not get executed, we've got 20 more episodes! I'm lost on how Lelouch and Rolo will finish their conflict, and especially how long Rolo will be a character on the show. More importantly, I'm curious to see how they'll continue to work with Lelouch =/= Zero.

They need to give Kallen a use again, I dislike fanservice characters.

I'm wondering where they'll go with the school, if at some point someone will find something which triggers memories of Nunnally or not.

Oh and more importantly, is it pretty obvious that Cornelia is in fact not dead?

Edited by damshow

So everyone Geass R2... amazing or amazing thus far?

You know the Black Knights will not get executed, we've got 20 more episodes! I'm lost on how Lelouch and Rolo will finish their conflict, and especially how long Rolo will be a character on the show. More importantly, I'm curious to see how they'll continue to work with Lelouch =/= Zero.

They need to give Kallen a use again, I dislike fanservice characters.

I'm wondering where they'll go with the school, if at some point someone will find something which triggers memories of Nunnally or not.

Oh and more importantly, is it pretty obvious that Cornelia is in fact not dead?

I'm actually surprised that as many of the Black Knights are still around at all - I thought that aside from Kallen and maybe a couple of others, they'd have all been wiped out at the end of season 1. >_>

And it does seem rather obvious that Cornelia is alive, yes.