Pimp Your Band Here

FireDoughnut

Heh, I just quit my band about an hour and a half ago. It also happened to be the day of a show. Fuckers.

Going solo already, are ya?

I smell a project called Kevin Storm's Storm's A-Brewin' in the future.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naaah. Actually, I quit at the venue outside. And I was already in another band by the time I got home. Skills.

Though if I could figure out some of these music programs, I wouldn't mind doing some solo stuff just to mess around.

The whole thing basically went, last night I was looking at myspace's musician classifieds, and I saw our bass player had put up an ad looking for a new singer. None of them could give me an explanation. They all just said they didn't know who actually posted the ad. I confronted them in person at the venue we were playing at, got the same run-around, and they just kept doing stuff to piss me off on purpose and wouldn't give me any straight answers, so I walked back to my car and left.

They're good at playing their instruments, but they're nowhere near musicians. They have no sense of maturity or professionalism about anything. They just want to pretend to be rock stars while paying to play for 4 people without actually having the dedication to make it happen.

Naaah. Actually, I quit at the venue outside. And I was already in another band by the time I got home. Skills.

Though if I could figure out some of these music programs, I wouldn't mind doing some solo stuff just to mess around.

The whole thing basically went, last night I was looking at myspace's musician classifieds, and I saw our bass player had put up an ad looking for a new singer. None of them could give me an explanation. They all just said they didn't know who actually posted the ad. I confronted them in person at the venue we were playing at, got the same run-around, and they just kept doing stuff to piss me off on purpose and wouldn't give me any straight answers, so I walked back to my car and left.

They're good at playing their instruments, but they're nowhere near musicians. They have no sense of maturity or professionalism about anything. They just want to pretend to be rock stars while paying to play for 4 people without actually having the dedication to make it happen.

Sadly there are a lot of people like that, and I hope your new band is a lot better about being musicians. I'm lucky to be in the band I'm in now, as they're great at their instruments and they don't want to be rockstars, rather they want to express themselves musically. I've also known them since middle school, and seeing as how I'm 22, that's a long time. I really hope for the best for ya, and hopefully your new band works out for ya. If anything you'll get a good experience by being with different bands.

Onto some "reviews"...

Grant Golden is pretty awesome stuff, and I can tell you really click with the crowd in the parts you left it in. Only complaint is that the vocals weren't louder, and that can be a bitch when doing open mic stuff and whatnot. And I see you've updated this a bit since I last visited, as you have a song up that you recorded. It's awesome, and I like it a lot. Let me know when you come out with a demo or something, that'd be awesome to listen to.

Tokyo Unicorns doesn't sound half bad actually. Something I would like to listen to anyway, and the vocals are a little harsher than others I've heard in that type of genre. Not the screams, but when he's singing it, it's not all high and whiny like some other bands. Pretty good stuff, I'll have to check them out on Myspace.

Dustin Cook is good stuff, I really like the vocal style, has a little soul in it which is really nice. Unique voice and good music along with it. And you did lyrics for Can I Help You, correct? If so, pretty good stuff, enjoyed it.

Sean Waltman and The Twang Man is pretty awesome stuff, I really like it. It's good stuff, pretty awesome, and I will definitely have to add them to my Myspace. Thanks for sharing them!

Nothing Special

So this is the band I'm the singer for. The first two songs, Circled and Strangecat, were taken live from a battle of the bands in 2006 before I was in the group as the singer. This is grossly apparent since Vaylon's(the guitarist) amp was a little 212 that had some cool effects, but not a whole lot of power. He now has a Marshall and Lou, the bassist, has a Behringer. Prisoners skips in two places, and is instrumental. Stab City 338 is something we just got done this week, and they wrote it in December. I'm not satisfied with the vocals, as I only had 2 hours of sleep and I'm sick, but I'm not terribly displeased with them either. We're going to try and get some more track by track done this week.

two friends of my brother did 2 songs and put them up on myspace. The lead singer(Ryan) is in the army stationed in Korea , but they are thinking of doing some more stuff when he gets home. Both are good tracks but I prefer Stupid

Ryan Medders

I was a bit bored today so I recorded a cover of Death Cab's "I Will Follow You Into The Dark". It's a bit rushed but I think it turned out okay. One of my friends was playing electric guitar but it didn't sound all that great so I took it out.

Anyway, it's here along with some of my other stuff:

http://www.myspace.com/ascott1411

Here is The Iry, I am pretty good friend with the drummer and know the other guys in the band a bit. Not really sure what I would compare them to. They are starting to gain some local popularity and have been heavily touring Ohio and the surronding states after they finish recording thier new album which is on Itunes. I just like the sound and the lyrics are quite good as well, with my favorite songs being Postcard Scene and Tommorrow.

Here their website and myspace:

http://www.theiry.com/

http://www.myspace.com/theiry

Ryan Medders is some awesome classic rock stuff, really enjoy it. Let me know when they get some more songs up if any!

The Death Cab cover could have been better, but since it was rushed like you said it was still pretty decent and good. Really enjoy your voice, and still amazed that you do all the instruments.

The Iry is some wickedly awesome stuff, really really enjoy it, and when I have some more money I'll probably get their album off of I-Tunes. Great stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
Ryan Medders is some awesome classic rock stuff, really enjoy it. Let me know when they get some more songs up if any!

yeah they are good. i wish they'd do some more stuff as well

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.myspace.com/tsacnoise

Just for a laugh, heres 2 shitty recordings of 2 shitty songs by my (old) band. I play bass btw.

I put old in brackets because the drummer moved to Germany but somehow thinks he can still be in the band. Also, as a disclaimer our drummer is gay and has totally gayed up the myspace.

Both songs were recorded live in a living room at 2 in the morning after 2 bottles of JD. So yeah (but no excuses for the singer, he always sounds like that).

EDIT: Oh, the first song had no lyrics written for the verse, so we got him to make them up as he sang them. And yeah, it really shows :P

Edited by Laid_To_Waste

Just a question for the singers out there - well someone posted above that they aresinging a song wrote in December by the band, before he was in it. Can you do vocals when the lyrics aren't yours? I can do covers fine, but even then I have to put my own spin on it. But songs that are "your own" I would HAVE to write the lyrics, no which way about it.

Anyone else like this?

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question for the singers out there - well someone posted above that they aresinging a song wrote in December by the band, before he was in it. Can you do vocals when the lyrics aren't yours? I can do covers fine, but even then I have to put my own spin on it. But songs that are "your own" I would HAVE to write the lyrics, no which way about it.

Anyone else like this?

That might have been me, I'm not sure, but the majority of my former band's songs weren't written by me. I mean, I'm not much of a music writer anyway, but I do write lyrics. I just lived so far away, and they live so close together, that they would already have lyrics written for songs by the time I heard it for the first time. But because I had to sing them, I pretty much had veto power over any of them, which I exercised frequently. I completely rewrote lyrics for two songs, and edited most of the others. Singing other people's words didn't bother me that much, though. The bassist could write some good stuff, and even though the main subject matter was always the same, he had a much different style than I do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't mean to be a pain reviving this but it's a pretty cool idea and I'd like to see how everyone's doing. I know Jouzy's got a pretty good band and I'm sure there's a few others with good music.

I haven't been able to do as much as I want to due to uni, really just a few acoustic songs but I've got a few original compositions. Quite a few of them are here