Gretna about to fold

brenchill

Well, if Bristol Rovers had any sense, they'd send Andy Williams up there and let him learn from SPL forwards :shifty:

Edited by 'Wildcat' BSIG

Unless I'm missing a joke, Airdrie did return. They folded as Airdrieonians but came back in 2002 as Airdrie United after Clydebank folded.

Nope. No joke.

Just shows how much attention I pay to football outside of Newcastle. :blush:

Apparantly the game against Aberdeen at the weekend will go ahead, so they've got at least a few more days to live. I don't want to see them go under but it looks like it'll be inevitable, it's just a matter of when. Hopefully they can at least make it to the end of the season, it's the least they deserve for their achievements.

I always like the underdog stories...so for that reason, I want to see Gretna beat this. Survive this rough patch, sell off any remaining players, and pretty much start over. I don't know if Raydale Park meets the Division 1 requirements, if any...because I know they had to move to Fir Park (Motherwell) to play their SPL games this season.

Just a case of a team growing too fast, too soon. IMO, they can beat this...if they can make it to the end of the season and get the money that goes with being in the SPL, that could go a long way in their long term survival in the Scottish Football League

Boo Gretna. Living only 10 miles away I'm gutted that they're going to fold, because I'm surrounded by nothing but bitter Carlisle fans who are annoyed that another local team became something good because they had financial backing and made their way to the top.

I hope they manage to stick around and regroup but I don't see it. But oh well, it was a nice fairytale story for the club.

Now where's Fabrice Yantorno going, that's all we want to know ¬_¬

• 2 weeks later...

They made their captain redundant today.

Now, and I'm not one for employment law, doesn't that mean they now can't have a captain, or will have to call the position something different.

Same goes with 'defender'

??

They made their captain redundant today.

Now, and I'm not one for employment law, doesn't that mean they now can't have a captain, or will have to call the position something different.

Same goes with 'defender'

??

:huh:

Anyway, apparently he's been made redundant because theres a club interested in signing him.

Edited by brenchill

Joke of a club that shouldn't have been allowed up to the SPL in the first place, Falkirk, Inverness and St.Mirren had to build SPL criteria stadiums(or improve them to that standard) Gretna weren't even about to upgrade Raydale Park. One of the main reasons for the fixture backlog and Rangers looking like they'll have to play 4 games in 8 days.

About the thing with Captain no that won't matter as anyone in a Gretna shirt can wear the captain's armband its not a job title just really what the most influential and best for getting extra out of his teammates. ie. Butcher, Keane etc.