RPG me up, shagmotrons.

The more obscure, the better. I've played pretty near every major RPG on the PS2, and I'm in an itchy RPG mood. I want to try something new. Is the Breath of Fire series (particularly, Dragon Quarter) any good? What about games like the Dragon Quest series? Is Grandia III as badass as Grandia on the PlayStation was?

EDIT: Holy shit, speaking of Grandia, it's going for a pissload on Amazon. Wow. I'm kicking myself for not buying it after playing the shit out of the demo when I was younger.

Edited by Wishful Sinful Cloudy

Dragon Quest 8 is okay. Its the only one I've played since Dragon Warrior for the NES, though.

Have you played:

The Xenosaga series

Legend of Dragoon (Playstation game)

The Xenosaga series is awesome, even if it did end up only being 3 games instead of the planned 6, and the first game is the ONLY game I own the OST to; I really wish they had made a sequel (on the PS2) to Legend of Dragoon.

I have played the Xenosaga series, I'll probably go through and replay the first game.. well, today, actually.

J: I haven't actually played Dark Cloud, but my friend raved about it when it came out and I've seen him play it. Is it as fun as everyone says? I guess so.

EDIT: wannabe.. don't make me shank you. Xenosaga easily tops Final Fantasy Anything as my favourite RPG ever. Well, the first and third ones do. Second one blew.

Edited by Wishful Sinful Cloudy

I have played the Xenosaga series, I'll probably go through and replay the first game.. well, today, actually.

J: I haven't actually played Dark Cloud, but my friend raved about it when it came out and I've seen him play it. Is it as fun as everyone says? I guess so.

EDIT: wannabe.. don't make me shank you. Xenosaga easily tops Final Fantasy Anything as my favourite RPG ever. Well, the first and third ones do. Second one blew.

Well, there is my problem.

I had 2.

As I think that was the only one they released over here.

It was tosh.

Yeah - that is your problem. I recall stoker saying in the past that the original game didn't get a PAL release but for whatever reason the sequel did, which is some mind-bogglingly stupid shit.

What the hell Cloudy? You used to be cool.

And Dark Cloud, I enjoyed the two games. The first game I only rented, and the second I bought, but never played much as FF12 came in and took over...and then I got a 360..

Xenosaga is quite good. And for the style of game I'll love it if only for the unique setting.

Dark Cloud 1 & 2 (Chronicle elsewhere) are fun. And subsequently Rogue Galaxy is also a rather enjoyable action RPG. Exquisite graphics too.

Have you ever tried out the Shadow Hearts games Cloudy? They're quite good. The first two are directly linked in and in ways are literal and spiritual successors to the old Koudelka game on the PSX.

Dark Cloud is pretty good, the system takes a little getting used to.

Xenosaga II's biggest problem to me was the dual techs. Some of them did look cool, but the system sucked. While I was glad they placed MOMO's voice actor (since the voice actor in the first game was Sherry Lynn, doing her Sasami from Tenchi Muyo voice, which she also used for Pepita in Star Ocean 3) and Shion and chaos sounded okay, KOS-MOS's new voice actor was awful. I'm glad they got the original voice actors for her and Shion back for the third game.

The one problem I had was the stupid editing they did in the third game. Some of the editing they did in the first game sort of made sense, because it almost looked like Albedo was molesting MOMO in the Japanese version, but the editing in the third game was idiotic because they edited out blood from two key scenes and the first time they did it it caused the scene to not make any sense (because it had to do with the character looking at blood cupped in her hands).

And Ruki, I agree with Cloudy. Its my favorite RPG series over Final Fantasy, and it sucks there won't be any more games. However, they did kind of leave it open-ended so it *could* be possible to do 3 more; it just isn't likely. (The original plan was for it to be six games split into two trilogies, the second trilogy taking place several thousand years after the first)

I haven't tried Shadow Hearts, I'll have to look it up. Keep on reccomending, fellows. I bought Grandia II for $17 off eBay yesterday. I hope it's as much fun as the original was.

Funny thing regarding Shadow Hearts. I can find the first game and Shadow Hearts: Covenant (aka Shadow Hearts II) all over the freakin' place, but I can't find Shadow Hearts: From The New World anywhere. Not even used. The one time I did find it used - at Gamestop, the case AND manual were both missing, and the price they wanted for it, I could have bought it new off Amazon for a buck cheaper. (And it qualifies for their super saver free shipping if you spend $25 or more)

Anyone know if Rogue Galaxy or Radiata Stories are any good?

Radiata Stories is excellent, GM. It's a bit on the short side, but I absolutely adored it. Good combat system, good character designs. The only real drawback I can think of is that the plot between the two protagonists is the same "main character meets other character, tense encounters follow, but slowly and surely they fall in love with each other". Standard-fare RPG stuff.

That's not to detract from the game, though, because it's still fantastic. I'm a bit miffed that I can't find my copy anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...