Madden '09

sahyder1

I hope they make the next generation versions better. I played PS2 and 360 version (the one I bought) and I loved PS2 way more. They had more game modes and better mini-games which is something that I liked. The 360 just seemed like something thrown together to get a game out for the 360 when realistically they should be focusing more on the next generation versions of the games.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitting that the guy with the most consecutive starts covers the game with the most consecutive rehashes ;)

Seriously though, he deserves it. All those young guys will (hopefully) have years & years to cover Madden games, this is Favre's last shot.

But Farve has already had a cover!

1146366742-00.png

I hope they make the next generation versions better. I played PS2 and 360 version (the one I bought) and I loved PS2 way more. They had more game modes and better mini-games which is something that I liked. The 360 just seemed like something thrown together to get a game out for the 360 when realistically they should be focusing more on the next generation versions of the games.

Sounds like you didn't play last year's 360 game, which was pretty good bar the freezing problems.

...and the jetpack DBs with eyes in the backs of their heads, and the D-Linemen who could out-jump and out catch my receivers, and the complete lack of pocket protection for the QBs, the absence of slide protection, broken training, broken progression, broken free agency, broken scouting, broken franchise in general, stats glitches that still exist after four or five years, superstar mode, the big-arm thing in edit player, nano-blitzes, the lack of any kind of atmosphere or presentation, no referee crew or chain gang, horrible handling of teh coaches challenge system, numerous uniform inaccuracies and pathetic number of options, the wind being either 0 or 20 mph and still not really affecting the game, Marshall Faulk.

Sounds like you didn't play last year's 360 game, which was pretty good bar the freezing problems.

I got it the first day it came out and I was impressed til I played the PS2 version. Personally, I just felt like it was way better and had more stuff overall.

How do you mean 'more stuff'? I wasn't aware that there was any difference in game modes or anything.

...and the jetpack DBs with eyes in the backs of their heads, and the D-Linemen who could out-jump and out catch my receivers, and the complete lack of pocket protection for the QBs, the absence of slide protection, broken training, broken progression, broken free agency, broken scouting, broken franchise in general, stats glitches that still exist after four or five years, superstar mode, the big-arm thing in edit player, nano-blitzes, the lack of any kind of atmosphere or presentation, no referee crew or chain gang, horrible handling of teh coaches challenge system, numerous uniform inaccuracies and pathetic number of options, the wind being either 0 or 20 mph and still not really affecting the game, Marshall Faulk.

Oh, you're just pointing out every little thing because you're bitter about majorly sucking compared to yours truly (H)

And out of the things you listed, there's very few that I noticed or had a problem with. The problems that did exist were either fixed by patches or not enough to detract from the game experience for me.

He's right about alot of it though. I wish they'd go to the challenge system that the 2K series did, where you were given a list of what to challenge. Do you know how many times I've wanted to challenge a catch, and instead it challenges the spot of the ball instead?

Superstar mode could always use more tweaking. If I get drafted by a team I don't want to play for, I want to be ble to hold out for a trade...I wantto be able to have some say in my contract...I want to hold out in training camp if I'm not happy with my contract etc...

And they have the ESPN license for the games..they seriously need to use it. NCAA has much better presentation then the Madden series does

How do you mean 'more stuff'? I wasn't aware that there was any difference in game modes or anything.

Oh, you're just pointing out every little thing because you're bitter about majorly sucking compared to yours truly (H)

And out of the things you listed, there's very few that I noticed or had a problem with. The problems that did exist were either fixed by patches or not enough to detract from the game experience for me.

No, I'm pointing out every little thing because they're truly annoying and take away from what would otherwise be a fantastic game. The fact that you don't even notice most of that stuff is appalling, and only supports the fact that I'm not bitter about losing to you. I'm incredibly frustrated, as I have the greater strategical knowledge and whatnot of the game, and can't implement it as well as I'd like.

Well other than the sheer amount of picks and the stats during Franchise mode, I don't have too much to complain about with the last Madden. Yeah there were some problems but not so many that I was frustrated all the time. There would be some things that would frustrate me at times but clearly not as often as you.

The PS2 version is different because it goes off of the previous Maddens on the same platform rather than what they're doing on the Next Gen and they're still tweaking the overall game to get a formula of storing and graphics because it's a different format than the stuff they're using on PS2 versions. Ideally they wouldn't have to tweak a whole lot between years but then you get the general staleness that people saw the old gen versions as.

With each year that they've been doing Next Gen, the game gets better so hopefully they continue with that trend.

I bought Madden 08 that day it came out, but lost interest in it after about a month. I'm not a football fan, but I usually get from release to Christmas before losing interest, so Madden 08 just didn't do it for me.

The re-introduction of proper commentary and TV style broadcasts has me interested.

Well other than the sheer amount of picks and the stats during Franchise mode, I don't have too much to complain about with the last Madden. Yeah there were some problems but not so many that I was frustrated all the time. There would be some things that would frustrate me at times but clearly not as often as you.

The PS2 version is different because it goes off of the previous Maddens on the same platform rather than what they're doing on the Next Gen and they're still tweaking the overall game to get a formula of storing and graphics because it's a different format than the stuff they're using on PS2 versions. Ideally they wouldn't have to tweak a whole lot between years but then you get the general staleness that people saw the old gen versions as.

With each year that they've been doing Next Gen, the game gets better so hopefully they continue with that trend.

It's been mentioned before, they had a "three year plan" to get Madden up to scratch on Next-gen. Which is bullshit because EA/Tiburon have basically admitted to taking full price money off customers for a work in progress. But that means that this year should be the first proper complete Madden game for the next gen.

Incidentally, when does next-gen become present gen? 360's been out since '05 has it not?

They need to bring back the feature from the version on Sega Saturn ('01 was it?). They had actual footage of JB in the studio, talking about the game (mentioning actual stat leaders from your team) and then sending it to Madden/Summerall (also on video footage) talking about the records of the teams. I thought that was cool.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, there's a few alarming similarities to '08 gameplay/AI-wise, but hopefully these get ironed out in the next couple of months. I'm thinking stuff like the possible fumblitis bug returning, and shocking DB/Blocking AI. Yeah, let's leave Moss completely uncovered, that won't bite us in the ass to the tune of a 60-odd yard screen TD pass, will it?

They need to bring back the feature from the version on Sega Saturn ('01 was it?). They had actual footage of JB in the studio, talking about the game (mentioning actual stat leaders from your team) and then sending it to Madden/Summerall (also on video footage) talking about the records of the teams. I thought that was cool.

That shit was on the PC version of Madden frickin' 98.

I guess it was that far back...I never played it on PC, but the Saturn had it. Back in the day when I ran 2 plays for the entire game. Still...if that was part of the game 11 years ago, no way it can't be incorporated again.

• 3 weeks later...

wow I don't think this will turn out to well. madden 09 and other ea sports games will have a rewind function for offline use only but still thats a little over the top for me.

Link ot the full story on kotaku

Ugh, what a shitty and unnecessary feature that'll take you completely out of the game. It's a football simulator meaning you are simming what happens in real life. You can't do over a play in real life so why should you here? You got shut down? Whoops. Try and try again. And if this ever gets implemented online forget about even thinking of beating some brat that refuses to let you have an interception.