Musical idiosyncrasies

VerbalPuke

So I've been thinking about this, and have you guys ever noticed certain patterns or habits in certain genres of music? I'll start with some of my own examples to get the ball rolling. Try and cite bands if possible.

Is it just me or does every single thrash metal band have an album cover with dystopian imagery? It seems like a lot of these bands album covers are characterized by horribly disfigured humanoids or metropolitan cities ravaged by nuclear fallout. Examples include Toxic Holocaust, Inepsy, and Nuclear Assault.

A good way to ensure even mild success as a hardcore punk band is to incorporate the word youth into your band name. The following heeded these guidelines: Reagan Youth, Hated Youth, Wasted Youth, Youth Brigade (D.C. and LA), and Bored Youth (and I'm not even scratching the surface there).

Then you have the 77 style punk bands that always managed to find themselves posing for pictures in front of a brick wall or in an alley. The Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Saints, and the Clash are all guilty of this.

And still on the subject of punk, don't forget a song titled World War 3. These bands didn't...D.O.A., The Nuns, T.S.O.L., Code 13, Bad Religion, and the Anti Nowhere League.

Going back to metal, a long drawn out intro to the album that entails swirling winds, rain, demonic voices, or just some spooky sounds to keep you from getting to the actual music is a must. A few offenders are Celtic Frost, Black Sabbath, Bal-Sagoth, Destroyer 666, Vader, and Sacrilege.

So with that out of the way, what can you guys think of? Maybe you can add to what I've started?

Rap videos must contain a house party attended only by bikini (or less) clad models and (optionally, dependent on ego) the artists entourage, which take place completely in slow motion. They must also have the obligatory 12fps shot of a gigantic chrome alloy at the start as the artist pulls up and gets out, all still in 12fps, so he appears to be like Nightcrawler from the X-men.

JoJo videos show her hanging around with people a minimum of 7 years older than her, but for some strange reason, she is the leader of the group.

British/European dance videos are all shot on Ibiza. Without exception.

Then you have the 77 style punk bands that always managed to find themselves posing for pictures in front of a brick wall or in an alley. The Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Saints, and the Clash are all guilty of this.

Hahahahahahaa. :wub: Brilliant. My favourite.

I'll add some in a bit.

Going back to metal, a long drawn out intro to the album that entails swirling winds, rain, demonic voices, or just some spooky sounds to keep you from getting to the actual music is a must. A few offenders are Celtic Frost, Black Sabbath, Bal-Sagoth, Destroyer 666, Vader, and Sacrilege.

Don't forget Dio, with the Holy Diver intro :P

Edit: Fuck, that was the second track on the album. :( But that helps to prove Acey right, so.. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil