2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

Does any see Lebron as a more selfish version of Penny Hardaway before the injuries derailed what was shaping up to be a brilliant career?

I feel Penny was what everyone was crying for. The next generations standard barrier post MJ in the twilight of his career in the mid-late 90's.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KTFA is the NBA version of I Love Pokemon. The level that the Cavs played at this year, anything less than a ring is failure. Same goes for the Lakers. Cleveland FAILED, they lost to a team they should have beaten. They aren't hoisting a banner. FAILURE.

The Lakers have issues guarding the three, but those issues won't be as present against Orlando because of the way they get theirs. LA can't stop drive and dish, but Orlando throws it inside then sends it back outside. Dwight Howard can have 40 (which is unlikely anyway, he's not that good on the offensive block), and they'll shut down the others. Orlando isn't 'better' than Denver, just smarter, and we saw what happened there. They also don't play good enough defense. The triangle will kill them.

I was saying that due to the "we see what happened there" comment. And the Magic actually can play very good defense, especially with them being able to throw Pietrus and Lee at Kobe, two very good defenders who can knock down the three, Howard playing Gasol and Lewis and Turk probably out-playing Odom and Ariza. Alston should also be able to easily get around Fisher. I pick the Lakers in 6 or 7, but would I be surprised to see the Magic steal a win at Staples and start the series 2-1? Not at all.

KTFA is the NBA version of I Love Pokemon. The level that the Cavs played at this year, anything less than a ring is failure. Same goes for the Lakers. Cleveland FAILED, they lost to a team they should have beaten. They aren't hoisting a banner. FAILURE.

The Lakers have issues guarding the three, but those issues won't be as present against Orlando because of the way they get theirs. LA can't stop drive and dish, but Orlando throws it inside then sends it back outside. Dwight Howard can have 40 (which is unlikely anyway, he's not that good on the offensive block), and they'll shut down the others. Orlando isn't 'better' than Denver, just smarter, and we saw what happened there. They also don't play good enough defense. The triangle will kill them.

The triangle will only "kill" Orlando if Dwight Howard is in foul trouble...which is very possible.

If Kobe wants to go down as a legend who didn't piggyback on Shaq's coattails he needs to win this series. Barring an injury to Kobe or Gasol, I think he wills his team to victory this time because Orlando's offense relies too much on the 3 point shot. Orlando can win a couple of games, but if their threes don't fall I don't think they have a "Plan B" which can work. If Kobe loses his 3rd straight NBA Finals as a favorite, he's going to take a serious hit to his legacy.

I just want it to be known that LeBron's excuse for not staying out on the court after the loss is horrible and makes him sound extremely arrogant.

Yeah, there's no excuse for poor sportsmanship. I can guarantee one thing, we'll never see him do it again though. Hell, he might be the last person to leave the court from now on.

I was saying that due to the "we see what happened there" comment. And the Magic actually can play very good defense, especially with them being able to throw Pietrus and Lee at Kobe, two very good defenders who can knock down the three, Howard playing Gasol and Lewis and Turk probably out-playing Odom and Ariza. Alston should also be able to easily get around Fisher. I pick the Lakers in 6 or 7, but would I be surprised to see the Magic steal a win at Staples and start the series 2-1? Not at all.

I picked it in 6, so its not like I'm writing off Orlando. I do think you're pretty off with some of your thoughts, though.

Pietrus and Lee aren't Shane Battier and Ron Artest, so I'm not sure they're 'good' enough to slow down Kobe enough. Especially 'I'm going to cement my legacy' kill first, ask questions later Kobe, which is what I expect to see. No one since Jordan has had the kind of killer instinct Kobe has.

Howard will rack up fouls trying to guard Gasol. Pau's too offensively gifted. That said, Gasol can't guard Howard, so it goes both ways.

I don't see Lewis and Turk out-playing Odom and Ariza like you think. Odom's playing for a contract in LA, and Ariza has really stepped his game up. It won't be like the Cleveland series at all.

Shannon Brown will get plenty of minutes in Skip, who's not that great anyway. Fisher's around for his big shot ability, not his defense. When it comes down to it, expect Brown on Skip.

To be fair, that was when he pretty much had no jumpshot but since he's developed one, he got a lot better.

Also, let's not forget he was also on the Magic last year and was traded to the Lakers for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans...2 perennial bench bodies.

To be fair, that was when he pretty much had no jumpshot but since he's developed one, he got a lot better.

Also, let's not forget he was also on the Magic last year and was traded to the Lakers for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans...2 perennial bench bodies.

Ariza's defense and energy would have likely had him as a member of the Knicks rotation these days even if his jumper hadn't improved dramatically. The last few GMs have traded away the pieces and draft picks we needed for straight up garbage.