2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean at this point, right? If so, I agree. You can't just throw Nelson in there after 3 months or so and expect things to gel.

But in general, if Nelson had never been injured, I think the Lakers wold have to be pretty scared right now going into this series.

They went 16-4 in their first 20 games with Alston. That's better than any stretch with Nelson. You can't look at how they closed out the season since they had nothing to play for after they clinched the division but homecourt was out of the picture. This is a better team with Alston, the record doesn't lie. In the two games against the Lakers, however, it's worth noting Nelson led the team in points both games.

That said, if Ron Jeremy can find a way to get both Alston and Nelson out there to really open up the court we could be looking at a really interesting series. I feel his coaching is a bit of an x-factor in the series, his team's got a few dimensions to it and if he can find something that works against LA then we could be in for an upset. But I just don't see it happening.

Edited by damshow

You mean at this point, right? If so, I agree. You can't just throw Nelson in there after 3 months or so and expect things to gel.

But in general, if Nelson had never been injured, I think the Lakers wold have to be pretty scared right now going into this series.

They went 16-4 in their first 20 games with Alston. That's better than any stretch with Nelson. You can't look at how they closed out the season since they had nothing to play for after they clinched the division but homecourt was out of the picture. This is a better team with Alston, the record doesn't lie. In the two games against the Lakers, however, it's worth noting Nelson led the team in points both games.

That said, if Ron Jeremy can find a way to get both Alston and Nelson out there to really open up the court we could be looking at a really interesting series. I feel his coaching is a bit of an x-factor in the series, his team's got a few dimensions to it and if he can find something that works against LA then we could be in for an upset. But I just don't see it happening.

Well first off, I'll take a healthy Nelson over Alston any day.

But I was mainly referring to Nelson being so effective against LA in their regular season matchups.

Nelson is definately a Laker killer, but I don't see him being effective in this series, and I think even bringing him in is going to be a negative. I think he'll hurt them when he's on the floor, because he's not going to be productive, and it'll allow the Laker defense to gamble a little bit more.

The more I think about it, the less worried I become about this series. The things the Lakers do badly are not things the Magic are prepared to do well. They don't get their threes the same way that the Rockets/Nuggets do, and they won't be able to get Pau caught up in the pick n' roll. The only spots on the floor I'd give Orlando a decided advantage at is the five, and the difference between Dwight and the Bynum/Pau isn't as big as the difference between Kobe and the Magic's two.

Also, a big reason that Orlando killed Cleveland is that they were a lot taller. The Magic are, at best, equal in height to the Lakers, and probably smaller. They won't be able to easily shoot over them like they were Cleveland. It won't be an easy series, but the more I look at it and think about it, the more assured of an eventual Laker victory I become.

The problem with that is that LAs backup PGs are, arguably, better than their starter. More athletic, to be sure.

I don't mean to be in here just making up reasons why LA will win. I can't help it, though. :P

Next, we're going to hear about how Orlando has no chance because Staples serves tastier hot dogs, eh? :P

The problem with that is that LAs backup PGs are, arguably, better than their starter. More athletic, to be sure.

I don't mean to be in here just making up reasons why LA will win. I can't help it, though. :P

Next, we're going to hear about how Orlando has no chance because Staples serves tastier hot dogs, eh? :P

No one knows that for sure, Orlando and LA should send us all hot dogs to find out for ourselves :D

That game was all about LA's defense. But Orlando could have definitely kept it closer at points, but just didn't hit their shots when they were available. That said, if the Lakers continue to play defense like that then Orlando has no chance. Hack-a-Dwight might become the new Hack-a-Shaq by the time this series concludes too.

If Cleveland's bigs employed the Hack-A-Dwight, the Cavs would have been swept because they would have been out of big men by the 3rd quarter. Can you imagine Ben Wallace trying to guard him for half a game, or whatever scrub comes off of the bench as their 4th big?

This game was pretty much the Lakers D daring the Magic's other 4 guys to hit the outside shot, and the Magic just buckling under the pressure. When all of Dwight Howard's points come from him being on the line, that really shows that the Lakers have a handle on him. I'm sticking to my prediction of LA in 6 but if the series continues to look like it did in game 1, I see no reason not to predict LA in 5 or even, dare I say, 4.

If Cleveland's bigs employed the Hack-A-Dwight, the Cavs would have been swept because they would have been out of big men by the 3rd quarter. Can you imagine Ben Wallace trying to guard him for half a game, or whatever scrub comes off of the bench as their 4th big?

At least Ben Wallace did a better job than Z did most of the time. But that is a good point, LA's front line is obviously much deeper and makes Cleveland's look even worse than it already it is.

EDIT: I stand by my original prediction of LA in six, but no way Orlando gets swept. They are good for at least one win because of a hot shooting night.

Edited by KeepinThatFunkAliveV4