Lil Wayne fans?

jrtdot

I was talking more about the days of Tupac and Biggie. The rap genre just isn't anywhere close to where it used to be. The only rappers that interest me are Lupe Fiasco and Kanye West.

Its all the way Lupe for me too.

Also, can't forget political rapper Immortal Technique (Y)

I was talking more about the days of Tupac and Biggie. The rap genre just isn't anywhere close to where it used to be. The only rappers that interest me are Lupe Fiasco and Kanye West.

Its all the way Lupe for me too.

Also, can't forget political rapper Immortal Technique (Y)

I wouldn't put IT in the same league of popularity as Lupe and Kanye, or even Common and Talib.

I've started to get into bands that could be considered 'underground' in the sense that they are pretty unheard of here in the UK (I'm not sure of how big they are in the US) such as Jurassic 5 and Little Brother. I enjoy their songs a lot more than I do with artists like Lil Wayne. I'm quite a big fan of 'conscious hip-hop' and some of the top artists in the genre make much, much better music than the club songs that seem to get the most attention from the media.

I think Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli are the only well-known rappers these days with serious skill. There's a fair amount of good MCs, and a shit load of amazing producers (probably more than there have ever been), but they are not well known at all. But even the producer game is starting to die down, Prefuse 73 and RJD2 both had weak releases recently.

Mos Def, you cock.

Anyway, since this has seemingly turned into the 'what is good thread', as far as mainstream rap goes:

Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, K'naan (I think he's only come out with one fucking record, which pisses me off, and I'm not sure if he's mainstream anyway) is mostly all I need.

Brother Ali is rather awesome, too, especially for being white as fuck.

I've started to get into bands that could be considered 'underground' in the sense that they are pretty unheard of here in the UK (I'm not sure of how big they are in the US) such as Jurassic 5 and Little Brother. I enjoy their songs a lot more than I do with artists like Lil Wayne. I'm quite a big fan of 'conscious hip-hop' and some of the top artists in the genre make much, much better music than the club songs that seem to get the most attention from the media.

Little Brother and Jurassic 5 aren't mainstream yet here in U.S, but they're not underground that much either. They're somewhere inbetween. That Little Brother track with Lil Wayne Breakin My Heart is constantly playing on my iPod. It's a great track.

I 'm a big Lil' Wayne fan. I can understand why people don't like him, but I like that he can flow over pretty much any beat and switch up his style. His freestyle stuff is probably his best stuff, although his new CD is pretty hot.

Edited by Hellfire

I don't like Lupe Fiasco. Everyone else seems to, but even after listening to both of his albums, I just find his voice too dull and boring. Lil' Wayne is pretty good, it seems like a trend right about now to just hate the hell out of the guy but there's no denying that in the very least, pretty much nobody puts out as much material as he does (although it should be quality over quantity... which isn't always the case when it comes to Weezy). As for other rappers alive that I like... aside from the mainstream ones, of which I like a lot... Atmosphere are pretty good, aswell as new guys like Charles Hamilton and Asher Roth... those two could turn out big.

Tha Carter III was decent IMO, prefer the second one.

Tha Carter III is an average album. His first is a classic, second one is great, but his third one I can't get into it. I thought Mr. Carter was gonna be a stand out track seeing as Jay-Z is on it, but Wayne did not show up on that track.