Lil Wayne fans?

jrtdot

Any one Lil Wayne fans? Personally, I liked him for his mixtapes before I ever heard his 'Tha Carter' CDs. I think he had more underground hits than his actual CD releases. His new album is good no doubt though. Right now anything he touches in Hip-Hop and R&B is gold. Like really he's been featured in like 100 songs in the past 2 years :wacko:

Guest FWA-Owner

Yea, I'm fan of his I think he one of the hottest in the game right now. However, I don't think he the best rapper a live yet, he's just very hot in the game at the moment. His mixtapes really got me liking him too, and A Milli is very hot song right now!

First album I heard by him was Da Drought 3 mixtape. It's still my favorite. Shit like "Get High, Rule Tha World", "Crazy", "Ride For My Niggas", "We Takin' Over (Remix)", and the Intro are just crazy good songs.

Currently I can't get Lollipop out of my head. :blush: I think I like the remix over the original, though.

I like Lil' Wayne when the first Carter came out, mainly because I was 14 and was listening to anything that was consider cool for the current standards of hip hop but if anyone has heard Gillie da Kid (the ghostwriter for the Carter), you can hear that both rap the same way, especially since Wayne had a different style before all the Carter and mixtapes.

I just think that people overhype him when really all he has is a punchline or 2 in every song.

I was a fan of his back when he was with the Hot Boyz. But when he dropped Tha Carter, I became a bigger fan of his. But after he dropped Tha Carter II, his lyrics really went down hill. All he has to do now is say any random things in a rhyme and he'll sell, and he knows that too which is why he's horrible lyrically. He's like 50, lyrics are garbage but his flow and willingness to experiement with different sounds (and pills) is what has gotten him over with fans.

His best work in my opinion is his Da Drought Part 4: The Drought Is Over and The Greatest Rapper Alive Part 5

I'm not a fan of his own songs but he really comes into his own doing verses on other peoples songs. He's got a voice which gets quite annoying after a full 4 minutes but it sounds quite fresh over a short time. His song with The Cool Kids is pretty great though and is what made me like him.

I've had "A Mili" stuck in my head, on and off, since I first heard it a month or two ago. I'm willing to check out some of his stuff, and now I'll probably check out what DeeJam said, but it will most likely be a while.

Edited by LittleDaniel

If he was rapping about ten years ago, you'd never have heard of Lil' Wayne. The genre is so watered down now.

Didn't he start out about 10 years ago?

I think I remember hearing him in the Cash Money era in the late 90s, back before the South went off into the abyss and sold out.

I think Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli are the only well-known rappers these days with serious skill. There's a fair amount of good MCs, and a shit load of amazing producers (probably more than there have ever been), but they are not well known at all. But even the producer game is starting to die down, Prefuse 73 and RJD2 both had weak releases recently.

Not even The Cool? IMO The Cool is as good, if not better, than Food & Liquor

I got it, I listened to it a few times, I never got into it. Not to say I didn't like it, I just didn't get into it. I bought way too many other CDs at the same time as The Cool, which might have hurt.