Modern Epic Riffs

New Damage

I would include Slaying The Dreamer by Nightwish were it more popular. I think it was only an album track but it has that strong steady riff through most of it like most of the classic metal had and from Nightwish it's kind of a pleasant surprise. They're not exactly riff based guitar heavy metal but it passes for me. Even though you'll all hate it :shifty:

:o Lanky~!

A, where've you been?

B, when did you start liking proper music?

Anyway, we collectively suck for forgetting 'Sonne' by Rammstein. And 'Du Hast'.

As for Nightwish, good shout with 'Slaying The Dreamer'. What about 'Passion and The Opera' though? That's the one I always remember for the riff, although the 'big' riff isn't in it much, on reflection. But still...

Those mentioned in the thread thus far that I entirely agree with:

Seven Nation Army by White Stripes

Cochise by Audioslave

Plug In Baby by Muse

Lay Down by Priestess

Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet

I'll throw in a few of my own, too:

Teddy Picker by Arctic Monkeys

Next 2 You by Buckcherry

Welcome Home by Coheed & Cambria

Black Shuck by The Darkness

Just A Day by Feeder

The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring

I'm A Rat by Towers of London

Slither by Velvet Revolver

Hash Pipe by Weezer

And why don't you think Black Stone Cherry will ever be mainstream? They're getting well fucking popular at the minute. Also, I don't see why a band's popularity has any say in the matter. In the long run, popularity has got nothing to do with making a good riff a good riff. I don't know about anybody else but I'd sooner make a list of good modern riffs than epic memorable riffs.

Edited by Nerf

But the thing is, this was more looking at what kind of riff'scould be compared to the infamous ones of ye olde times such as Smoke on the Water, Sweet Child Of Mine, Walk This Way, Enter Sandman etc... not obscure riffs that, whilst they may be good, very few mainstream fans have heard of to make it easily recogniseable.

So I'll agree with most of what you added, but unless the song has been played on the radio/television then I don't think it's going to be instantly recognised if the riff was played. But I guess you can always create a list that is for "good" riffs that aren't well known, but that you like, if you want.

See I don't think that's necessarily right now. With the rising popularity of using the internet for your music needs, I don't see how radio/TV is the only prerequisite as there are ton of bands that don't get airplay here, as opposed to over in Europe, but the following on the internet is just as strong in both places.

I'd say the line's blurred considerably when taking into account music. 20-30 years ago, sure, but with the internet now, you can't dismiss bands that have a huge following on the web. Especially considering there are different singles at different parts of the world, so something could be more mainstream here than it is over in Europe or something.

And more to the point, every song on my list gets fair TV/Radio time, I was just making the argument for other songs (such as Priestess etc). That said, Slither is one of the most anthemic and recognised riffs of the last ten years, so without doubt throw that in there.

The only two so far I would agree with are "Seven Nation Army" and "Cochise". It's hard to see how well a song will age, maybe "All My Life" or "Bat Country". A lot of the songs mentioned like "Iron Man" are songs that beginner guitar players pick up a guitar to learn to play so I don't know that's something difficult to scope. The biggest rock song of this decade(in the US at least) probably has been "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet

Absolutely. (Y)

It also helps that it includes the lyrics:

"Now you dont need that money

When you look like that, do ya honey."

Which I personally feel is rather groovy.

I'm also partial to "Reptilia" by The Strokes. Great opening riff.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster