Official X Factor Season 5 thread.

Guest tiarnantmann

I work in the bookies too :shifty:

Okay I'm lying, but yeah I never thought Alex was a favorite or real contender from the start. Must agree about Ruth sometimes going over the top, but that's what I loved about her. Although I don't agree about the Leona comment, because I don't think the UK has produced a better singer in years upon years. I'm not really even a fan of her, but she's just fucking amazing. I cant really sit and compare her to Alex now, because it'd be unfair when Leona has been around that bit longer, but I just think she's easily one of the best females in the world right now and in terms of singing, as good as anybody at the moment.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leona is way, way too warbly, without really having the ability to make that sound good (not that many people do, since I think warbly female vocals are the devil). A bit nasal-y, too. Alexandra, to me, has a more powerful voice, and a more rounded, soulful voice. It has more facets to it than Leona's, in my eyes, so I personally think she is better. I'm not suggesting she'll be a world beater, like Leona, which you have to give her credit for, but if there is any justice, she'll have something like the same success.

If I'm being honest, I never see Alex winning it. She just didn't come across as having the entire package, good singer is all I saw at the start. Diana and Laura were the clear favorites from day one and I don't think it was until Diana left that Alex actually became the favorite, which then somehow switched to JLS on the final few days.

As for best/favorite performance, mine was easily Diana's 'With or Without You' which I almost loved more than the original, amazing performance. Heck in all honesty, I just loved all of her performances. Maybe it's because she's my cup of tea or because the songs/music she was doing is the stuff I love, but yeah.

Though I did love some of Ruth's performances too. Purple Rain was great but 'Always' was just awesome.

You do realise I work in a bookies, right? :shifty:

Actual bookies favourite was primarily Alexandra, with Laura for about two weeks before she went, and I think Diana for a week. Alexandra was long odds on to win the final as soon as Diana went. Bookies very rarely get it wrong, as proved here, since she spent the majority of the time as a front runner with them, if not the favourite.

And so it should have been. She carried herself better than a lot of the people on the show (apart from the crying, which annoyed the piss out of me), and has an impressive voice, but with more to it than just Laura's. She is a better singer than Leona Lewis, so if Leona was good enough to win it, Alexandra definitely was. I hate women vocalists on the whole, but there should never have really been a doubt that Alexandra should win, if it was based purely on talent alone. Diana was good, and it was nice to see something different on the show, but at times she was screechy, yelpy and was lacking in something....I'm not sure what, but even though she goes more towards what I'd like, it just wasn't as impressive week on week.

Ruth was good at times, but rather than just being a good singer, she was a little bit shouty, without the control of someone like Alexandra or Laura.

I agree'd with everything you said here. Except Alexandra being a better singer than Leona. Which I have to completely and utterly and vehemently (really wanted to use that word right now <_<) disagree with. As I'm of the belief that Leona is perhaps the most talented vocalist right now, she's fantastic and even the dirty Yanks are taking to her really well. And if they like her, then that's the end of the matter. Well, perhaps not.

Alexandra has a great voice, and will probably be the second most successful person to come out of X-Factor (although that doesn't seem massively difficult as you could probably sell more CD's at a boot sale than most of the other contestants stuff and be second) but Leona is truly phenomenal.

And Leona's more attractive. So she wins regardless. I actually heard someone the other day say "Leona would do better if she could dance more"... well, that was an interesting way of putting it but I don't think dancing really factors into how good a singer someone is, but each to their own. Plus Avril Lavigne can dance and everyone seems to hate her. <_<

If I'm being honest, I never see Alex winning it. She just didn't come across as having the entire package, good singer is all I saw at the start. Diana and Laura were the clear favorites from day one and I don't think it was until Diana left that Alex actually became the favorite, which then somehow switched to JLS on the final few days.

As for best/favorite performance, mine was easily Diana's 'With or Without You' which I almost loved more than the original, amazing performance. Heck in all honesty, I just loved all of her performances. Maybe it's because she's my cup of tea or because the songs/music she was doing is the stuff I love, but yeah.

Though I did love some of Ruth's performances too. Purple Rain was great but 'Always' was just awesome.

You do realise I work in a bookies, right? :shifty:

Actual bookies favourite was primarily Alexandra, with Laura for about two weeks before she went, and I think Diana for a week. Alexandra was long odds on to win the final as soon as Diana went. Bookies very rarely get it wrong, as proved here, since she spent the majority of the time as a front runner with them, if not the favourite.

And so it should have been. She carried herself better than a lot of the people on the show (apart from the crying, which annoyed the piss out of me), and has an impressive voice, but with more to it than just Laura's. She is a better singer than Leona Lewis, so if Leona was good enough to win it, Alexandra definitely was. I hate women vocalists on the whole, but there should never have really been a doubt that Alexandra should win, if it was based purely on talent alone. Diana was good, and it was nice to see something different on the show, but at times she was screechy, yelpy and was lacking in something....I'm not sure what, but even though she goes more towards what I'd like, it just wasn't as impressive week on week.

Ruth was good at times, but rather than just being a good singer, she was a little bit shouty, without the control of someone like Alexandra or Laura.

I agree'd with everything you said here. Except Alexandra being a better singer than Leona. Which I have to completely and utterly and vehemently (really wanted to use that word right now <_<) disagree with. As I'm of the belief that Leona is perhaps the most talented vocalist right now, she's fantastic and even the dirty Yanks are taking to her really well. And if they like her, then that's the end of the matter. Well, perhaps not.

Alexandra has a great voice, and will probably be the second most successful person to come out of X-Factor (although that doesn't seem massively difficult as you could probably sell more CD's at a boot sale than most of the other contestants stuff and be second) but Leona is truly phenomenal.

And Leona's more attractive. So she wins regardless. I actually heard someone the other day say "Leona would do better if she could dance more"... well, that was an interesting way of putting it but I don't think dancing really factors into how good a singer someone is, but each to their own. Plus Avril Lavigne can dance and everyone seems to hate her. <_<

Avril Lavigne is the best in the fucking world and best of all time :angry:

Do agree with everything else you said though :shifty: Although I don't mind Leon from last year. He wasn't amazing but he was certainly a bit different and better than the usual cheesy male artist type of person. He's got a lot of heart and I think he can actually move on towards doing more blues/jazz stuff. He might not be a super seller across the world but I think he's a good artist to be honest.

X-Factor related story.

I met a Welsh guy the other day, he asked if we knew Rhydian Roberts and we all said we did. Apparently he was the headboy at this lads school we were speaking to. He quickly followed up with what seemed like a pretty good indication of how he felt about Rhydian (in the greatest Welsh accent ever): "What a fucking wanker!".

Apparently Rhydian was benching 175kg at like 18. Was 17 stone. And used to just see who was the best at taking one of his punches to the gut - it was an involuntary game, you didn't choose to play it apparently.

And look at him now... a giant ponce. <_<

Haha, Leona is so much better than Alexandra. They're both fantastic singers (as you have to be to win such a massive competition anyway, that little cunt Leon aside) but Leona is just in a class of her own.

I can't wait until Diana releases her first single. It's gonna give me a boner, I can tell.

Leona is a better singer, but Alex has much more of a personality, and proved when she did Toxic & Candyman that she has much more range than Leona (it says something when Forgive Me was her first upbeat single and it didn't "even" chart in the Top 5). They're both great singers, but...I think Alex is a better all-round package. And if the Yanks take Connie Talbot, then Alex should be able to do well. She's certainly had the Leona-hype in the past few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Short review of the series...

Alex was boring...technically good, but boring. She murdered 'Hallelujah', although JLS's was worse. JLS were shit in general.

Diana should've won. She was the good one. And I was routing for Eoghan when she (unfairly) left, because he hugged her. :wub:

X Factor totally burns me out though. Way too dramatic and over-produced, and I hate the weekly pyro. Bring on Idol please.