Jazz: Where Do I Start?

Walker

I was just thinking earlier about jazz music. Based on the limited amount of material i've listened to, i see it as stylish and alluring. Which is why i want to get into it. Problem is, i don't know where to start. Are there any jazz fans on this board who could point me in the right direction?

Edited by WalkerWGZ

Indeed. "Kind Of Blue", or John Coltrane's "Blue Train". They are the two, really. Maybe a bit of Charlie Parker, but really those two are as close to perfect as jazz albums get; if you can't get into them, I pity you. In jazz terms.

Indeed. "Kind Of Blue", or John Coltrane's "Blue Train". They are the two, really. Maybe a bit of Charlie Parker, but really those two are as close to perfect as jazz albums get; if you can't get into them, I pity you. In jazz terms.

This post is the authority. Though also try "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report. Birdland in particular. FUcking aswesome. Song.

If you like that you should move onto "Palladium". It is Like Birland but but better. Without a doubt my favourite jazz song ever.

Fuck Weather Report...Maynard Ferguson made "Birdland" his own. :shifty: My brother saw his band a few years back before he died, he said it was insane. Maynard just sat there, with his one lung, like a fat Canadian bastard, whiskey in one hand, trumpet in the other...and mumbled every now and then and hardly played...but he was a high note legend, he can sit there and do fuck all, and I'll love him. But his band was apparently crazy, and there was a 'snare drum solo' which actually involved 'melody' with different amount of pressure being put on it and stuff...just...I wish I was there. :(

"Autumn" - Don Ellis

What an LP.

Edited by YI

Fuck Weather Report...Maynard Ferguson made "Birdland" his own. :shifty: My brother saw his band a few years back before he died, he said it was insane. Maynard just sat there, with his one lung, like a fat Canadian bastard, whiskey in one hand, trumpet in the other...and mumbled every now and then and hardly played...but he was a high note legend, he can sit there and do fuck all, and I'll love him. But his band was apparently crazy, and there was a 'snare drum solo' which actually involved 'melody' with different amount of pressure being put on it and stuff...just...I wish I was there. :(

Fuck you. >_> Weather Report! Jaco Pastorius! or however you spell it.