Scotland vs Argentina

The Kraig

It's tomorrow. On Sky Sports 1. And it's going to be the greatest game of all time (apparently).

I love how Maradona's sort of confused as to why he's so popular in Scotland. Also, Terry Butcher, lawl.

Argentina coach Diego Maradona has hit out at criticism from Terry Butcher, claiming he cannot be judged for his 'Hand of God' goal as England won the World Cup "with a goal that didn't cross the line."

The Argentine legend also said he will not lose any sleep if the Scotland assistant does not shake his hand at the end of Wednesday's friendly at Hampden Park.

Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal in the 1986 World Cup, which helped to send Sir Bobby Robson's side out at the quarter-final stage, continues to torment Butcher, who was in the England side that day in Mexico.

Butcher said he would not shake Maradona's hand but the Argentine hit back at the former Ipswich defender's sense of outrage, pointing to the controversial goal by Geoff Hurst which helped England win the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley.

''I can't understand the attitude of Butcher,'' he said. ''Let him get on with his life and I will get on with mine. If people are fine with me then I am fine with them.

''I'm not going to seek him out and I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't shake my hand. I will still be alive tomorrow.

''England won the World Cup in 1966 with a goal that didn't cross the line so I don't think it's fair that anyone should judge me when stuff like that went on.''

In addition to putting one over Scotland's great rivals, Maradona is still fondly remembered by Scots fans from his first appearance at Hampden in 1979 when, as an 18-year-old, he scored his first international goal when Argentina beat Scotland 3-1 in a summer friendly.

Tartan Army fans gathered outside the hotel with a banner declaring, 'Church of Maradona', which pleased the new Argentina coach.

The former Napoli and Barcelona star said: ''I'd like to say hello to the fans, I'm very grateful for their support. It was nice to get my first goal here in Scotland and it was very special.

''I feel great. I'm very happy to be back here after all this time and I'm proud to be heading the Argentina national side. I'm very much aware of how popular I apparently am in Scotland. It's nice to see that I have made people happy and if I could do it again then it would be marvellous.

''I want to repay them by offering up a great show tomorrow night, a feast of football. I have watched some DVDs of Scotland but I will see what team I will pick after training tonight.''

Maradona is determined to be a success with Argentina and added: ''I enjoyed training with the players for the first time last night and I want to get into their hearts.

''I've had to wait for my moment to arrive and I'm very happy. If I had not taken the job then I would have been a coward. 'I needed Argentina and they possibly needed someone to guide them and now we are on the road to South Africa together.''

- ESPNSoccernet

The Argentina squad haven't had a second of privacy since landing during the weekend. I hope we win. :w00t:

Yeah, after taking a shot at the England game with it's 73,000 attendance, Kraigy sure did go quiet when Scotland turned to dust in front of about 20 people, huh?

There were 32,000 people there. And we never really recovered from that early goal, but I thought we got better as the game went on. Good to see Davie Clarkson get his second cap for a bit longer than his first, same for Christophe Berra who got all of 2 minutes last time. Although the best bit was Charlie Nicholas getting all moody after the game when questioned about Kris Boyd and admitting he doesn't really like Jim White. Oh I so hope that's true.

And to be honest, I also forgot England were playing tonight (since all we've heard up here is bloody Maradona this and Terry Butcher that. And then some more Maradona.) and when I went to look for it on the channels I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out it was just on ITV in England.

I used to like Terry Butcher but his stupid moaning and threats have pissed me right off. He should sort out his petty issues in his own time rather than just get loads of coverage just before the international. Cunt.

There were a few players I didn't really know. Who was that guy Robertson that came on for Barry Ferguson?

What was the Nicholas/Kris Boyd thing about?

Scott Robertson was it? I think he plays for Dundee United. He was called in at the last minute IIRC.

And Charlie was getting his knickers in a twist about Kris Boyd quitting the international scene. White asked John Collins if Boyd should reconsider if he was watching and Collins said he thought he should. White then asked Charlie if he would like to see Boyd reconsider and Charlie said he couldn't care less. He said that he never always got picked for Scotland, he was up in the stands for important games, he never really saw eye-to-eye with lots of his managers, coaches and players, but he still accepted the decisions that were made and supported the country, the players and the team. Which I somewhat agree with. With the goals that Boyd was scoring (Rangers' joint top scorer at the time) it was odd not to play him against Norway, I certainly would've at least brought him on ahead of Steven Fletcher as Iwelumo was scoring a lot for Wolves, especially since it was clear that one goal would've won the game for either side. I certainly agree with him speaking out against it, but think he's gone one step too far to withdraw himself from the national side. I would like to think he would've been given a chance at some point and what better way to stick it to George Burley than to score a couple of important goals, if that's what Boyd gets off on. But now he's pulled out and we've got McFadden (who plays better on the wing) and a bunch of unproven forwards. And Kenny Miller, who can just never seem to play well for Scotland IMO.

Rumour has it that the reason Kris Boyd doesn't get picked for Scotland is because he is a cocaine addict. Apparently that's why he never played in Europe for Rangers because UEFA do mandatory drug tests. Have you heard that rumour? It's fairly widespread.

Rumour or not, I don't think Boyd should have quit Scotland. It's not a great attitude to have. Though I'm probably biased. I didn't really like him that much even when he played for Kilmarnock.

Edited by metalman

Yeah, after taking a shot at the England game with it's 73,000 attendance, Kraigy sure did go quiet when Scotland turned to dust in front of about 20 people, huh?

:rolleyes:

I left because I was the only person in the thread, and nothing else happened in the game.