So who actually has a portfolio?

K

I'm guessing Ad, Aj, Matz and Nor.

Lemme see.

I've never had one before. Probably should get around to making one.

Seen the missuses, have no problems matching it skillwise, but I'm terribly shy about my abilities and i'm not sure what I would put in it to give a good impression of what I can do.

So yeah, Who has a portfolio?

I have an incredibly basic one right now. It's a thick, three-ring binder style one with various works of mine in it in protectors. I plan on doing a proper book portfolio though when I've the time as a more artistic, professional one. I actually need to update my portfolio too, got a lot of old stuff in it :\

Edited by The Mask of Norro

The closest thing I have to a portfolio is a Worth1000 account that I haven't touched in a few years. :/

I guess what you put it in it is dependent on who you want to impress though. Press, magazines, web design? Or I suppose you could put a general one together showing off a bit of everything (i.e. couple of websites, illustrator drawings, graphics, photo corrections? I'unno).

I had one for a while when I was doing regular work for bands. I haven't updated it in quite some time since I stopped doing any major design work. I ended up frustrated that every client wanted basically the same thing. I keep stuff on my computer for people to look at but these days I basically just design as a favor to friends bands.

what's in it?

Well, right now I've got a bunch of my work in it, separated into sections by designed divider pages that tell the person flipping through it what's in the upcoming section (i.e.: illustrations, advertising, print design, etc.). I also have some physical material, such as example DVD covers in DVDs, an interactive CD I designed using Director, my business cards, business card holder, a small book I designed, my resume, and some other designs of mine.

Still, I've got a lot of updating to do, this thing's almost a year old now, so yeah. I mean I have a few recent things in there, but nothing much. Going to be reorganizing things soon.

I think my plan as far as portfolios go is that I'm going to make a small magazine-like book of my designs at as cheap as possible and get them mass-produced so I can have them as a sort-of artsy portfolio to send out to potential clients, and then have my larger, more bulkier portfolio with me when I come in for any interviews, so they can have a look at more of my work.

ugh, new years resolution.. we all stop being lazy and work on our portfolios together

I can agree to that (Y)

In that case, i just put some of my stuff together and went outside with it. Wen i was at Universetys getting my Portfolio evaluated by Profesors and Students gave me the push in the right direction to know what to exclude, what to keep, ideas on what to work ect.

I´ed say in January i had no chanse at all to get a spot at any universety, a cupple of month later my stuff got good enough to be at one of the big name Univsersetys of Germany. (Bauhaus Universety in Weimar) It was a üproces of chaneling my qualetys that only could happen by having stuff to show real people and talk with em. The internet could not do this, for me at least.

This is a colection of what ultimatley got me into the Universety. - There are a ton of Photos missing, wich are prolly the best works i had, beaus i don´t want to spam the private pictures i did with my frinds all over the web. - Also, only a few pics out of my scetchbook, dident want to spam 100 pages.

http://picasaweb.google.com/matzatmichael/WeimarMappeAuszug#

http://picasaweb.google.com/matzatmichael/WeimarHA#

But i guss since you are a profesional worker you´re stuff will look a lot different. I was not looking for a job, i was looking for an art/Design school.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I've had to do one for each of my graphics classes, haven't done anything official though. Had a class that's sole purpose was to make an e-portfolio, but I hate InDesign, so I dropped the class. My friends who stayed in it came out with some really good, professional looking stuff, so thats one way you may want to go.