Terrorizer Top 20 Albums of 2008

Liam

Finally, a Top 20 list where I actually know who the bands are. None of this mainstream "indie" stuff.

But just like those other lists, I honestly haven't listened to a single album on this list. I am poor and have only bought like 6 or 7 CDs this year.

Approximately 100% of the lists have nothing to do with mainstream indie music for the most part. And if they are then your probably reading lists that cater for mainstream indie music.

You know, except for most of the Rolling Stone Top 20...or any other one because they've pretty much copied each other this year. Really, I've found little to no variety between them.

I assumed you meant the lists posted on here. Which my point holds true to pretty much.

Magazines aren't going to start saying no-name bands have these awesome albums and the indie darlings - who are the favourite bands of most of their readers - are shit, as no one would buy the magazine or whatever anymore. This is why in top 100 lists it's always better at around the 100-50 mark because you get the odd album in there that's actually fucking awesome, whereas the top 25 or so are there to make sure their fan base is covered by ensuring the Kings of Leon, MGMT and the like are all in there.

25. Manilla Road - Voyager

24. Krallice - Krallice

23. Soilent Green - Inevitable Collapse In The Presence of Conviction

22. Psycroptic - Ob(Servant)

21. Pharaoh - Be Gone

20. Cynic - Traced In Air

19. Grayceon - This Grand Show

18. Testament - The Formation of Damnation

17. Hail of Bullets - Of Frost And War

16. Enslaved - Vertebrae

15. Equilibrium - Sagas

14. Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Part 1

13. Origin - Antithesis

12. Arghoslent - Hornets Of The Pogrom

11. The Gates Of Slumber - Conqueror

10. Arsis - We Are The Nightmare

9. Burst - Lazarus Bird

8. Withered - Folie Circulaire

7. Grand Magus - Iron Will

6. Dismember - Dismember

5. Opeth - Watershed

4. Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery

3. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God

2. Meshuggah - obZen

1. Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds

Here be's MetalReview.com's, who I use a lot, so thought I'd list.

Death Magnetic is decent, an Black Ice is average. Beyond that I don't even know who any of the bands are, never mind what the albums are like.

I have that Manilla Road album on CD and it's not very good. Probably the worst 2008 album I own.

Metal-Rules has a list up, too. Not going to type it up for you, but Testament is #1.

I don't know about a personal favourite yet, but I guess

cover_263823342008.jpg

is right up there. Also Circle II Circle, Blaze Bayley, Poisonblack... maybe Marshall Law, Testament, Uriah Heep. There was also Judas Priest, Iced Earth and Pyramaze now that I think about it.

It's too early for me to figure out these things though. I think I could come up with a 2007 list by now. :/

Edited by lari