Terrorizer Top 20 Albums of 2008

Liam

01. ENSLAVED - Vertebrae (Indie Recordings)

02. CYNIC - Traced In Air (Season Of Mist)

03. NACHTMYSTIUM - Assassins: Black Meddle Part 1 (Candlelight)

04. GOJIRA - The Way Of All Flesh (Listenable)

05. TORCHE - Meanderthal (Hydra Head)

06. MESHUGGAH - ObZen (Nuclear Blast)

07. OPETH - Watershed (Roadrunner)

08. METALLICA - Death Magnetic (Warner)

09. BLOODBATH - The Fathomless Mastery (Peaceville)

10. ESOTERIC - The Maniacal Vale (Season Of Mist)

11. EARTH - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (Southern Lord)

12. AC/DC - Black Ice (Sony)

13. ASVA - What You Don't Know Is Frontier (Southern Lord)

14. HAIL OF BULLETS - ...Of Frost And War (Metal Blade)

15. SEPTICFLESH - Communion (Season Of Mist)

16. DARKTHRONE - Dark Thrones And Black Flags (Peaceville)

17. LEVIATHAN - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (Moribund)

18. GRAND MAGUS - Iron Will (Rise Above)

19. HARVEY MILK - Life... The Best Game In Town (Hydra Head)

20. SATYRICON - The Age Of Nero (Roadrunner)

Just thought I'd post this up for people to have a little look at. There are actually 40 albums, but I can't find the full list, and can't be bothered to type it all up myself.

As for my thoughts, pretty happy myself. I've got 7 out of the top 8 in some way or other (all except Obzen, which I keep meaning to get, and owning official copies of Enslaved, Cynic and Opeth). Other than that, I lacked a little from then on, although I do have a copy of Grand Magus 'Iron Will', which is pretty straight forward metal, but decent enough. I might also have Satyricon on my laptop, but I can't remember if I deleted it or not.

Considering I'm not a big metal fan, it's quite odd to think that more of my favourite albums from this year have appeared on this list than any of the others that have been posted.

I've been pimping "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull" since it came out, that Asva album is absolutely beautiful, new Harvey Milk never goes amiss, and Torche, Darkthrone and Gojira have all been growing on me of late.

There's stuff on there I've heard and didn't like (Death Magnetic and Black Ice), and the rest of it I haven't heard, but still, nice list. Well done Terrorizer, I didn't realise you were still relevant.

Pft, Earth below the new Metallica. The Bees Made Honey.. still gets spins from me, whereas I haven't listened to Death Magnetic outside of the first week or so it was released. Oh well.

Considering I'm not a big metal fan, it's quite odd to think that more of my favourite albums from this year have appeared on this list than any of the others that have been posted.

I've been pimping "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull" since it came out, that Asva album is absolutely beautiful, new Harvey Milk never goes amiss, and Torche, Darkthrone and Gojira have all been growing on me of late.

There's stuff on there I've heard and didn't like (Death Magnetic and Black Ice), and the rest of it I haven't heard, but still, nice list. Well done Terrorizer, I didn't realise you were still relevant.

I've meant to grab Asva myself, but haven't got around to it. This may give me the impetus to actually go out and grab/download it, whichever takes my fancy.

And Torche are awesome. Sludgey pop glorious-ness, which I think I put in my 'Best Album of 2008 Thread'. Great stuff.

I've gotta admit, the Nachtmystium is unreal. Anyone who uses dirty cheesy saxophone with black metal is cool in my book.

Yeah, Nachtmystium was another one I think I listed.....awesome. Wasn't sure whether it'd work for me, but easily my own personal favourite black metal album.

I find it odd that I'm a big metal fan, but I haven't heard any of these 20 albums. Nor am I interested in hearing them.

Well, I used to be somewhat of a casual Satyricon listener back in my teenage angst days, and I do own a couple of AC/DC albums, but I can't say I especially care to hear either of these albums.

And Torche are awesome. Sludgey pop glorious-ness, which I think I put in my 'Best Album of 2008 Thread'. Great stuff.

Name-dropping anecdote time.

I met Torche at ATP last month, I watched most of Os Mutantes' set with Steve and Rick, and hung out with them back at their chalet for a bit. Lovely blokes, gay as a church window, and massive Mamas & The Papas fans.

Finally, a Top 20 list where I actually know who the bands are. None of this mainstream "indie" stuff.

But just like those other lists, I honestly haven't listened to a single album on this list. I am poor and have only bought like 6 or 7 CDs this year.

Approximately 100% of the lists have nothing to do with mainstream indie music for the most part. And if they are then your probably reading lists that cater for mainstream indie music.

I find it odd that I'm a big metal fan, but I haven't heard any of these 20 albums. Nor am I interested in hearing them.

From what I've seen, you appear to prefer heavy metal, whilst Terrorizer is primarily black/death/doom, so its not surprising really.

Although everyone should listen to Torche. Seriously.