Tevez's West Ham Move

TheArsenal

• Admin
Well it's kinda obvious that this isn't the case as Tevez has yet to sign for Man United

Mascherano's deal was covered up as quickly as possible to prevent Liverpool getting shit for the same thing, doesn't mean they haven't also broken the rules

No, Liverpool did their deal completey legitimately and had it all ratified by the F.A. Man Utd did the same.

It's only West Ham who look like they haven't.

• 2 months later...

Fucking hell, just as this saga was apparently finished with, Warnock decides he wants to be a tosser and ask for compensation from the whole situation.

Am I right in thinking that Warnock left the club as soon as they were relegated in order to try and get a job at another Premier League club, and that his campaign against the Tevez appeal was more to do with him salvaging his destroyed reputation?

That's Warnock on Sky Sports News right now saying that "Tevez" is the word West Ham fans say when asked why they stayed up.

Nothing to do with them winning more games, scoring more goals and getting more points eh Neil :w00t:

If they were good enough, they'd have stayed up, really don't see how he in particular has a case against West Ham.

Ken Bates is now joining in.

He wants to sue West Ham because Leeds sold thre eplayers to Sheffield United with the understanding that Leeds would get bonus payments if Sheffield United stayed in the Premier League.

Since they've already ruled that Tevez and West Ham put an end to that with their rule breaking, Bates wants his compensation.

L0L @ We$T HAm!

Fucking hell, just as this saga was apparently finished with, Warnock decides he wants to be a tosser and ask for compensation from the whole situation.

Am I right in thinking that Warnock left the club as soon as they were relegated in order to try and get a job at another Premier League club, and that his campaign against the Tevez appeal was more to do with him salvaging his destroyed reputation?

He stepped down because he felt he had no other option when we got relegated. Had we not been relegated, he would've still been in the job, and thus would have been paid a premiership manager's wages (albeit at the lower end of the scale) instead of firstly being out of work, and secondly ending up at Crystal Palace.

On top of the Bates thing, there are reports that many of the players that were in the relegated squad are considering suing West Ham for loss of earnings (as they would've been paid more if they played in the prem than the championship).

And Cadj, your last sentence about Warnock doesn't make sense. Court has already ruled that West Ham were in the wrong and that Tevez was ineligible and that they should have been docked points. Those docked points would've relegated them instead of us. I'd say the issue is more 'how far can the chain go back' with regards people's loss of earnings. I understand (and agree) that the club, as an entity, should get compensation. I'm 50/50 on Warnock and the players, but I can definitely see their POV. Bates is starting to stretch things but, in a legal sense, he may have a case.

I can see Bates only getting something if both Warnock and the players are successful.

On a less serious note, do West Ham have any close rivals in the Championship? I'm surprised they aren't suing on the grounds that, if WH were relegated they'd have got a full gate home attendance. :P

And Cadj, your last sentence about Warnock doesn't make sense. Court has already ruled that West Ham were in the wrong and that Tevez was ineligible and that they should have been docked points. Those docked points would've relegated them instead of us. I'd say the issue is more 'how far can the chain go back' with regards people's loss of earnings. I understand (and agree) that the club, as an entity, should get compensation. I'm 50/50 on Warnock and the players, but I can definitely see their POV. Bates is starting to stretch things but, in a legal sense, he may have a case.

I can see Bates only getting something if both Warnock and the players are successful.

As far as I know, the courts haven't actually ruled that 'West Ham should have been docked points' because that's a purely in-sport punishment and they don't really have the right to make that kind of statement as legal professionals. The CAS and the original appeal panel ruled that, but not the courts. The reason the courts have been able to rule against West Ham for non-sporting reasons (they can't directly punish a club for fielding an ineligible player because it's not a criminal offence) is that both clubs were ruled to have a contractual relationship through the Premier League rules they signed up to. West Ham and Sheffield United are two businesses who agreed to abide by the Premiership regulations, including accepting promotion/relegation and PL rulings on illegal players. Because West Ham broke those rules, they were in breach of a contract with Sheffield United and the courts were able to rule against them. Then in deciding on the compensation figures they decided (or were about to decide) that Tevez was almost 100% of the reason we stayed up, so the compensation would be almost 100% of the difference between PL and Championship football for a year.

The problem with the claims of the players and Warnock is that they have at no point had any kind of legal contract with West Ham. They aren't signatories to whatever PL documents Sheffield United used and they have a vastly reduced chance of being able to make a legal claim of wrongdoing on West Ham's part. It's the same reason the average punter who bet against Sheffield United getting relegated can't sue West Ham - they have no contract with the club and they've committed no crime, so there's no basis for a claim.

In the latest twist to the Carlos Tevez saga, Fulham have submitted a claim for £700,000 in compensation from West Ham over lost prize money because they finished below the Hammers in the Premier League in the season Tevez played at Upton Park. (The Independent)

I'm thinking I might sue West Ham. I mean, why the hell not? Everyone else is....

Trust Leeds and co to try and drain any money they can.

Seriously, how the fuck is this still going on? I think they should start suing everyone who tries to claim they deserve 'compensation' just because they didn't do so and so. Complete nonsense and I actually feel a little bad for West Ham.

Hilariously, shouldn't the players be suing Sheffield United now? I mean they got the money from the deal... how can they get £15m yet lose the responsibility to repay their players?

I was listening to Football Weekly and they suggested that any money gained by Bates from the saga should be passed onto the ambulance services >_>

None of this stuff disguises the fact that Sheffield United just weren't good enough and didn't earn themselves enough points tostay up. 1st thing a coach will tell you is to concentrate on you're own game not anyone elses. Fuck Sheff utd i hope they stay in the Championship for being such bitchs about it

Edited by brianregan09

Amazingly, I'd not heard about this until just now. Go on Papa Ken, only 2-3 more court cases and we'll have enough air miles for your holiday old lad.

Although to be fair, that 500k could have had such a huge knock on effect, we might not have had to go into administration (as soon) and therefore not had the 15pts docked and therefore not still be in this tin pot league. Although surely the compensation should come from Sheff Utd and not West Ham.