EWB Sports Discussion #5

sahyder1

Plus I find of funny that DMN knocks the Garden and lists Chavez Ravine where the "fans" show up late and leave early.

I find it funny that you knock Dodger Stadium and list Rutgers Stadium, where the 'team' is the ones that don't show up.

A program on the rise with a growing season ticket base. The atmosphere is insane and will be even crazier next year when there are 12K more seats added in to close the open end of the stadium.

LOL @ Rutgers. Call me when they win their conference. A conference that is, at best, the second WORST BCS conference, and worse than the Mountain West.

LOL @ Rutgers. LOL @ you putting their stadium in your list, WITHOUT mentioning it as 'The Birthplace of College Football'. LOL @ 'east coast bias'.

Also, I'm sure naiwf knows I was fucking with him.

Well this stadium obviously wasn't the birth place of college football. That location is about 2 miles away. From where this program was to where it is now...and where it is going I'm confident of a BCS appearance in the next 2 years. I said in my first post why I put this stadium on there....I have season tickets.

Getting the Big East BCS slot would be huge for the team, but it doesn't mean much. The only team in the Big East thats even been a threat to the other conferences on a consistent basis is West Virginia, especially since Louisville fell off.

I guess I shouldn't really talk, UCLA has a ton of work to do. I stand by my stadium/arena lists, though.

The ACC sucks so fucking hard compared to the Gardens. No atmosphere in that corporate hellhole. :crying:

Meh, the ACC gets it hard too much, IMO. When the right crowd is there, like when they had Clark/Canadian Forces night (correct me if I'm wrong, but they were on the same Saturday, no?), it was one of the best crowds at the ACC since playoff hockey. I was at a game a few years ago against Philly with the Leafs in the playoff hunt and won it in OT. It was rocketbustah. And the crowd is always hot when the Raptors are on form. It's the fatcats at the Leaf games that weigh shit down when they come full force. Fuck them. But it's always good night when the Leafs are so on form that even the suits are acting like 14 year olds. It's not often, but it happens and it's pretty cool. EDIT: And the crowds are still rocking on Saturday regardless. Fuck, the ACC gets such a bad rap... wrap? Rep? Anyways, it's not nearly as bad people make it out to be.

Boom! The Philly OT game I was talking about.

But nothing will ever beat the Maple Leaf Gardens. I love that old barn. Perfectly rectangular. The crowds disappearing somewhere up in the rafters. Seats all torn up, small, and uncomfortable. I'd hate to see what it looks like now. Fuck, just tear it down and let it die with some dignity.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

LOL @ Rutgers. Call me when they win their conference. A conference that is, at best, the second WORST BCS conference, and worse than the Mountain West.

It's still personal preference, and what does the team have to do with the venue? You already mentioned the Knicks at MSG, etc. I mean how much did Syracuse suck and the Carrier Dome was still considered one of the top places to play.

Anyway, posting this for sahyder (no order):

1. The Big House, Michigan Stadium - Just excellent. Love that stadium.

2. The Horseshoe, Ohio Stadium - Only been inside of it for a concert.

3. Wrigley Field - You definitely feel that since of history once you are inside of the ballpark. Amazing.

4. The New Busch Stadium - I absolutely adore it.

5. Doak Cambell Stadium - I want to go badly.

6. Soldier Field - Only been on the outside, it's beautiful, can't wait to see an actual game there someday.

7. Cameron Indoor Stadium - Would love to be in the student section, but I'd go sit anywhere and enjoy the atmosphere.

8. Camp Randall Stadium - Might be going this upcoming season, but "Jump Around".

9. Beaver Stadium - Heard it is actually the best stadium in the Big 10 from my friend who is a die-hard Michigan fan.

10. Yankee Stadium - Period.

Let's see. For pro and colleges, I've been to:

Fenway Park - yes, it's got all its history, charm, and quirks. Some those quirks though are bad, and it can be uncomfortable or annoying in spots. Obstructed view seating anyone? Grandstands 1-10?

Camden Yards - real nice ballpark there, favorite one I've been to so far

Shea Stadium - I don't think too many people are going to miss that, barring what happened there over the years. I a few years ago got tickets in the 700 level for $3. Now I know why they were $3, you were closer to the planes taking off from LaGuardia than the field level.

MSG - I'm not a New Yorker, so I'm not going to sit here and glorify it as a shrine. A lot of things have happened there over the years. It is big, and one of the nicer arenas I've been to. But it is not a palace.

Meadowlands Arena, now called Izod Center - it serves its purpose. I've seen better, I've seen worse.

Nassau Coliseum - see Izod

I might count these since they formerly hosted pro teams, even if I never was at a pro event there and these places will likely never see pro sports again. They still host college.

Hartford Civic Center, now called XL Center - wonder why the Whalers left? This needs a replacement if we're ever to see a Whalers again. The place is a bit of a mess, and that's just the part your Joe Sixpack sees.

Boston Arena, now called Matthews Arena - a long time ago seen the Bruins, Celtics, and Whalers. Opened nearly 100 years ago and still going for Northeastern Univ. From the upper level seats, it's hard to see certain spots on the floor cause it's right on top of the action. But well, it's 100 years old and only seats 5000 or so... expect better?

MSG isn't just a NY shrine though. I've loved the 3 Leafs/Rangers games I've been there for. IZOD is horrible. Went there for two Raptors/Nets playoff games a couple of years. Actually got Colangelo to sign my ticket stub at one of the games. The arena is in the middle of nowhere. Granted there have been some improvements with mass transit but definitely nothing close to what is needed. The arena has no atmosphere. Us Raptors fans took over the arena for both games. VC getting booed throughout was awesome.

It's a freakin Nets game, what did you expect? There's maybe 100 people that care, the rest of the half filled arena just makes it look like a minor league game. And that's for playoff games.

And this is coming from a Nets fan. They should of went with the Devils into the Prudential. And even then, the fan interest rate is horrible. They ought to be stealing Knicks fans, considering the years of failure in NY... and when they had good teams with Carter, Jefferson, and Kidd - they still sucked at it. The Nets seem content being a second rate team.

I'm just hoping something improves with all these developments - the transit and the Xana... Olivia Newton John.

I've seen mostly local shit, the Palace of Auburn Hills is a great venue, there isn't a bad seat in the house. (Pistons, random concerts, and other minor league sporting events).

The Silverdome wasn't bad, but Ford Field is much better for football. The overall view and experience of a game at Ford Field was much more enjoyable than the Silverdome. Of course, I saw Barry Sanders at the Silverdome and the current incarnation of the Lions at Ford Field, so it's a wash for now. Ford Field was a great place to house Wrestlemania as well, had a great time.

The old Tiger stadium was great for the nostalgia and history built in, but Comerica Park is a better venue all around. It's a great place to be in the summer with a cold beer in hand.

I enjoyed Fenway Park when on the east coast, not only is the atmosphere great inside, but the party atmosphere outside of the venue is amazing. I wish all sporting events were like this.

I have yet to see the Red Wings in Joe Louis which is supposedly an experience like no other, nor have I stepped foot in the Big House, I'd love to eventually.

Where else would I like to go?

1. Lambeau Field in December. Yeah, it's cold, I'll dress warm. It just seems like one of those things you have to do as a sports fan.

2. Wherever the Oakland Raiders are playing, I want to sit in the black hole, or wherever those crazy post apocalyptic football fans are.

3. MSG, but only if it were hosting a major WWE PPV.

Other than those three, and the other two in Michigan that I mentioned, it's hard for me to think of a can't miss venue. I'd be looking more for venues that 1. Are historical 2. Provide a great fan atmosphere and 3. Has a decent view of the action from any part of the venue.