2009 Oscars thread

sahyder1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the Oscars. I used to hate them for the typical reasons - I didn't care for any of the films nominated, and my favorites never seemed to be in the running for anything. But now I've grown to hate them for the opposite reasons - I hate having to listen to countless people complain about what I used to hate - their favorite movies not winning. I've come to understand film on a much better level than I did in the past, and that has definitely broadened my horizons and increased my appreciation for films like Slumdog Millionaire. I would've probably just called it an average film not too long ago, but the technical aspects that I now appreciate (cinematography, etc.) make it a great film.

Oh, and Rourke didn't win. Great. Now all the wrestling fanboys can complain.

Well not surprising that Penn won it but I would've loved it if Rourke won.

And not because I'm a "wrestling fanboy" either, but because he was awesome in the role and have always thought Rourke was a great actor who never got his props.

Edited by Livid

Well yeah but that's a given. Of course people will prefer that their favorites win rather than the others but that doesn't mean that they don't recognize that the others didn't deserve it either.

And in general, as long as they're not idiots, most people don't get too bent out of shape about this actor winning over that actor but definitely always have their preference. Which is what I find in most cases, as opposed to your example.

Edited by Livid

Honestly, as a person who loves ENTERTAINING SPEECHES and then really thought Rourke was fucking awesome, Rourke should've won. Pretty gutted, but ah well.

But let's be honest, this Oscars was FOR THE GAYS. And I mean that in the most...correct way possible.

Honestly....the writer for Milk called gay and lesbian people "creatures". I'm still not sure what to make of that.

Well...he seems like he's...calling himself that, then?

Yeah I'm not saying he was wrong for saying it. One could just take it badly and I'm just thinking that the anti-gay people are gonna take that and twist it badly.

His was one of the better speeches of the night.

I would have adored Mickey Rourke winning, but Sean Penn deserved it every bit as much as Rourke did. They both put forth absolutely awesome, captivating performances.

I would have adored Mickey Rourke winning, but Sean Penn deserved it every bit as much as Rourke did. They both put forth absolutely awesome, captivating performances.

Honestly, I'm just selfish towards entertainment value at these ceremonies, because the award itself is hardly prestigious. And I guess I'd like Mickey speaking about...anything really versus say Sean Penn telling up what we already know, that Prop 8 is shit. Because...NO SHIT PROP 8 IS DUMB.