Fifa 09 (Xbox 360) Tournament Take 2

Sam

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just try and make it through this tournament before we start thinking about 4* capped tournaments etc. I didn't want to exclude teams this time round just so that we could complete a tournament.

Also from the first fixtures I put up I don't really think they're the type you encounter all the time online as it is. I think the mix of teams is good for this tournament. There's 1 outstanding team, 3/4 'great' teams - I don't really think either AC Milan or Madrid are even that great in the game and 3 very good teams that can easily also win the tournament.

Anyway Slogger what time suits you best to play because obviously you're in a different time zone and stuff. Not looking forward to this match seeing who just knocked Milan out of the UEFA Cup!

Also well done Quasi and Animal for getting your match played, sounded like a close one.

Edited by Sam

2u7tzte.pngChelsea 1, v5a1rd.png Inter Milan 3

In the first round of games in Group B, Inter Milan (AD) came from behind to beat Chelsea (Marsh) 3-1 at Stamford Bridge.

The home side took the lead after quarter of an hour with Drogba firing home after Inter had failed to clear from a throw-in. However, the visitors looked lively throughout with Zlatan Ibrahimovic in particular causing problems for the Chelsea defence which were saved by goalkeeper Petr Cech on numerous occasions.

Swedish international Ibrahimovic eventually notched the equaliser in the 59th minute when he took advantage of a poor John Terry clearance to beat Cech with a cool finish. Twenty minutes later the visitors took a deserved lead when Dejan Stankovic released Ibrahimovic behind the defence and the striker took the shot early from distance with Cech only able to tip the ball onto the post on its way into the net.

Javier Zanetti wrapped up the points for the Serie A champions when he headed into an empty net from close range in the 85th minute after Ibrahimovic's header had rattled the crossbar.

Man of the Match

Esteban Cambiasso (Inter)

Match Stats

CHE - INT

1 Shots 14

1 On Target 8

100% Accuracy 57%

45% Possession 55%

67% Passing 76%

1 Corners 4

0 Yellow Cards 0

0 Red Cards 0

EWB Fifa League - Matchday 1

AC Milan (Sam) vs Werder Bremen (Slogger)

The first half started out with Werder passing the ball well and getting deep into Millian's zone, But for the most part the crossing left much to be desired by the underdog German team, On two memorable occasions everything came together, Once when Torsten Frings's shot was deflected by Milan keeper Dida which left the goal at Markus Rosenberg's mercy, Thankfully for the Italian side the volley went high of it's intended target and another pinpoint cross by Frings left Diego with a header opportunity only to see the ball hit the outside side of the woodwork and go out for a goal kick.

The second half was completely different as Milan took the ball and starting pounding at the Bremen defense, Keeping the ball in the German sides zone for a long while, Before after several failed attempts to clear the ball Gianluca Zambrotta made Werder pay with a strike to put Milan up 1-0 after 77 minutes, However straight off the kickoff, Diego took to ball up the wing, Dished off a tasty cross that landed just inside the box leaving Rosenberg to hammer home a half volley to put the scores level after 79 minutes, The final 11 minutes were mostly uneventful with both sides not having many chances for a game winner as the full time whistle blew to end the match, The final score 1-1.

After both sides agreed to some friendly extra time, Milan dominated the German club and ran through there defense quite easily and Alexandre Pato slotted home the first goal of extra time, However, Evan with Milan dominating possession and injury time now in effect, Werder recovered the ball and ran the length of the pitch, The ball getting to Rosenberg who once again pulled the score back level after 120 minutes.

And so to penalties we go, Werder and Milan both scored on their first two shots, Werder scored on their third but Tim Wiese made a fantastic diving save on Milan's third attempt, Things got interesting as Frings missed Werder's fourth shot and Milan made there's, So it came down to the fifth shot for both team's, Werder's captain Frank Baumann slotted home his and it all came down to Milan's fifth shot and Tim Wiese stands up once again to made a fantastic diving save to send the visiting team's fan's home with their heads hung low, Although they took away a point officially, It never is fun to see your team get beat on penalties...

Official Score: Milan 1 - Werder 1

Unofficial Score: Werder 2 - Milan 2 (Werder wins 4-3 on Penalties)

Ergh the equaliser was so frustrating, I just can't seem to do well off another persons kick off! I get all over the place, was a really good goal though. Probably should have done a bit better but I could never really get Kaka or Pato into the game. Oh well it's a point on the board! Look forward to beating you at the San Siro :P

Ergh the equaliser was so frustrating, I just can't seem to do well off another persons kick off! I get all over the place, was a really good goal though. Probably should have done a bit better but I could never really get Kaka or Pato into the game. Oh well it's a point on the board! Look forward to beating you at the San Siro :P

I look forward to meting that challenge, I was pissed after Rosenberg missed that volley, But It's was more my fault than his, I am quite heavy handed on the crossing and shooting and I don't know what happened on the header, I forgot about directing it and that chance kind of went array, But you brought it in the second, I don't know if I was in shock about doing so well in the first half or I choked but you deserved your first goal and then I kinda snapped out of it and came back real quick, But it was a close game, I just REALLY need to work on my crosses and finishing and I might be able to hang with some of the other players, I've only played 3 games online, So I think i'm doing well, I lost to AD 3-1 Spurs v Werder (I can't remember the reason for the game, I guess we were both playing FIFA and were bored) 1-1 against LCS's Roma as Werder (3-1 Roma AET) in the failed league and this game.

Oh yeah, I got the achievement for saving and scoring a penalty in my very first game of Fifa 09, So i forgot to controls for penalty shots, So I just winged it and lucky I chose X to Dive, hey? Penalty shootout was freaking tense, Now I know how real players feel when they take part in one.

Edited by Sgt. Slogger

Hmm dunno about that Quasi I always see him online when I'm on. I want to get through a game a week (hopefully more if we all play quickly) so guys if you could play it ASAP that would be awesome :)

I'll be up for this game on the Friday sorry, I've just been caught up with coursework for a few days. Luckily once I sort out a managable plan I won't be shitting myself completely when it comes to anything else.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that my sister plays Rock Band sometimes when I'm away >_>

Ah yeh it's no problem as I messaged Rocksta and he says he has a lot of work on to at the moment which I can completely understand. I'll put up Group B's fixtures for this week in a bit and then Group A can play catch up.

Right then so this is how it's all looking after the first set of games.

Group A

Results:

Werder Bremen 1 Vs 1 AC Milan

Aston Villa P Vs P Real Madrid

Table:

AC Milan - 1pt - GD = 0

Bremen - 1pt - GD = 0

Villa - 0pts - GD = 0 (0 Games)

Madrid - 0pts - GD = 0 (0 Games)

Group B

Results:

Chelsea 1 Vs 3 Inter

Barcelona 1 Vs 1 Atletico Madrid

Table:

Inter – 3pts – GD = +2

Atletico – 1pt – GD = 0

Barcelona – 1pt – GD = 0

Chelsea – 0pts – GD = -2

FIXTURES THIS WEEK (Please play by 11/3/09)

Group A

Real Madrid (Rocksta) Vs Werder Bremen (Slogger)

AC Milan (Sam) Vs Aston Villa (General)

Group B

Inter (AD) Vs Barcelona (Quasi)

Atletico Madrid (Animal) Vs Chelsea (Marsh)

Atletico Madrid - Chelsea 5-2

I felt pretty good about the first half where I managed to shut down the Chelsea forwards and score three goals myself. Maxi Rodriguez opened the score with a header from a corner. Soon after Simao crossed from the sideline onto the head of Forlan. In his first attempt het hitted the crossbar but he managed to get his head against it on the rebound to score the 2-0. Can't really remember the 3-0 but it was Forlan again.

In the second half Marsh brought on Kalou and Malouda who brought some much needed attacking power and it resulted in a couple of chances for Chelsea. The reward came when Anelka powered it in from an angle to score 3-1. But Atletico regained itself, Forlan was taken down while trough on goal and it was a penalty. Carvalho was lucky to get away with yellow :P. Forlan made the penalty and it was 4-1. The next goal came when Forlan was found at the edge of the penaltybox, he dribbled trough the defence and scored 5-1. At the end of the game Heitinga and Ujfalusi had a misunderstanding which gave Drogba the oppurtunity to score 5-2 and that was the end of it.

1-0 Maxi Rodriguez

2-0 Forlan

3-0 Forlan

3-1 Anelka

4-1 Forlan (pen)

5-1 Forlan

5-2 Drogba

Forlan is really becoming my go to guy as he scored 5 goals in 2 games :D

EDIT: I never lie :o

Edited by Animal