• Jesus Walks
    • Diamonds from Sierra Leone
    • Golddigger
    • Heard 'Em Say
    • Stronger
    • Good Life
    • Love Lockdown
    • Heartless

Much like the questions on Kelly Clarkson, I'll put up Kanye West for this week and put two new artists up next week. Kanye recently did VH1 Storytellers, has been hyping up 808's and Heartbreaks as his best record, and has often been eclipsed by his larger than life persona. He is really a love or hate type guy (I personally love him).

Kanye deserves all the praise he gets, in my view. The guy has released 4 amazing albums and they each got better and better. College Dropout was great, but in my view didn't separate himself from his competition. With Late Registration, the guy began to play with different sounds and really set himself apart. On Graduation, Kanye blew the competition away and basically showed why he is the most important man in hip-hop and arguably, in pop music. 808 and Heartbreak, his most divisive record, Kanye West recorded 11 songs of utter brilliance (the free style at the end is atrocious). Love him or hate him, 808 and Heartbreak was a risky move both in terms of sound and audience. In my opinion, it paid off and really shaped who he wants to be as a performer - a pop star who makes art.

In terms of singles, I could only put 10 so I put his highest charting singles. In my view, they are all good. Often times, as well, Kanye is the type of guy who really shines on non-singles (Hey Mama, Everything I Am). However, the best single he has is All Falls Down. Kanye isn't rapping about guns and hoes; he raps about vanity, materialism, and typical Kanye posturing. The perfect introduction for who Kanye is. The Lauryn Hill sample is perfect for the song and perhaps the best use of a sample by Kanye. Just great.

The other person to say All Falls Down :wub:

It was REALLY tough between "All Falls Down" and "Jesus Walks" for me, both are exceptional songs.

As for Kanye himself, I adore the man. He's batshit insane and a complete egomaniac, but his music is great. 808s is his weakest release and even then I have to give him credit because even if musically I consider it a bit of a failure, it's such an amazingly ambitious failure and such a drastic stylistic change that I still can't help but applaud him for it, and to his credit on the songs where he got the formula right ("Paranoid" and especially "Street Lights" which I consider to be one of the most gorgeous songs he's ever recorded) he really got it right.