• Torinho 1940's
    • Ajax 1995
    • Benfica 1961-1962

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

surpirsed to see there's no Leeds United squads in there. Some of the lids teams from th 60's,70's and 80's we're legendary. from the lot there I don't think any warrant my vote really.

Can't really classify a team as in the top 10 of all time when they won no European Cups (or Libertadores for South American teams.)

The Sturm Graz team of 1998 are better than the treble winning Man Utd team! Afterall they won the AUSTRIAN BUNDESLIGA that season.

Man Utd suck.

In reality Man Utd have a few teams that belong in that list. doron we don't need to know your opinion because it's clearly going to be a flawed one.

I tell you another team that was better than the Bayern Munich 2001 team - the pioneering push and run Tottenham team of 61-63. They won the double in 61 and the FA Cup and the semis of the European Cup in 62 and then won the Cup Winner's Cup in 63.

Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Jimmy Greaves.....Just to name a few that team was utterly brilliant for three years.

And coming from a Spurs fan....They still weren't as successful as that treble winning Man Utd team.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

United Treble winning team missing is a joke when they can be argued to be the best team of all time, whatever anyone says. Arsenal not even getting a mention either seems like a joke too. Would it not just be better for everyone to name their top five teams?

Oh and Munich 01? Of all fucking Munich teams, you pick the most hilarious and pathetic one of the lot.

No way. Nothing you do in your domestic league is enough to merit a place as the greatest side of all time. You'd have to win the English/Spanish/Italian leagues at least 4 times in a row to counter zero European success. Are the present Inter team anywhere near being the best team of all time?

EDIT: Getting thrashed at home to Inter and having one quarter final to show from the 3 season around that Invincible year shows that they weren't really in the top 10 sides of all time. The fact that a Bayern team that wasn't really noteworthy was included can't be used as justification for every marginal slightly better than them to be included.

Edited by -A-

surpirsed to see there's no Leeds United squads in there. Some of the lids teams from th 60's,70's and 80's we're legendary. from the lot there I don't think any warrant my vote really.

Can't really classify a team as in the top 10 of all time when they won no European Cups (or Libertadores for South American teams.)

oh so this is the most successful teams of all time. <_< joking of course but just because a team never won anything in Europe doesn't mean they shouldn't be included in the best clubs of all time.

No way. Nothing you do in your domestic league is enough to merit a place as the greatest side of all time. You'd have to win the English/Spanish/Italian leagues at least 4 times in a row to counter zero European success. Are the present Inter team anywhere near being the best team of all time?

EDIT: Getting thrashed at home to Inter and having one quarter final to show from the 3 season around that Invincible year shows that they weren't really in the top 10 sides of all time. The fact that a Bayern team that wasn't really noteworthy was included can't be used as justification for every marginal slightly better than them to be included.

It isn't asking for a successful team. It's asking for the best team. And that Invincible team was one of the best. Hence not being beaten for 49 games.

Not being beaten for 49 games in the league. So that's mostly based on one extremely successful season, domestically only (and in the league, only.) Not really enough to prove anything. If you're going to argue that it's 'best football teams' then this is an entirely subjective debate and I'm not quite sure how you can argue that a team that can only get to one CL quarter final in 3 years is really the best.

Edited by -A-

well shouldn't Man United's trebble winning side be in here then if it's all about success?

well shouldn't Man United's trebble winning side be in here then if it's all about success?

Exactly, if this is strictly a "Who won more medals" thing, then it should go to Man United's team of 1999 - no question. Seeing as how that list is pretty much just a list of teams that won the Champions League/European Cup in those years (other than Santos and Torino). United took home two other trophies as well that year so surely the prize is theirs??

After all, it seems this debate is nothing to do with actual FOOTBALL, and more to do with silverware (seeing as that is exactly how the list above came into existance).

No, because that's one season of success. I'm pretty much entirely discounting domestic cups and domestic leagues aren't nearly as significant as the European Cup/CL. Yes, United won 3 Premierships in a row, but the league simply wasn't as good as it is now. Liverpool were worse (relatively speaking) than they are now, Arsenal were miles away from becoming the Invincibles and Chelsea weren't remotely the force they are now. Compare the 1999 Premier League to the present one - until 1999, United struggled to achieve anything in Europe despite being the dominant force in English football. Nowadays, the 5th places team in the Premier League can win the Champions League. That's because English football was far, far worse back then.

We've pretty much entirely discounted the Torino team that won 5 scudettos in a row and only faltered after that because almost all of their players were killed in a plane crash. We're ignoring a Nottingham Forest team that retained the European Cup. We're ignoring the Bayern team that won 3 European Cups in a row. We're ignoring every team in the history of South America.

EDIT:

After all, it seems this debate is nothing to do with actual FOOTBALL, and more to do with silverware (seeing as that is exactly how the list above came into existance).

No, you're right, the Invincibles were the better team despite losing cup matches and European matches over the 3 year period. They were the better side, they just lost more meaningful matches.

Edited by -A-

We did win a European Cup, we were just cheated out of it :angry:

:shifty:

We did win a European Cup, we were just cheated out of it :angry:

:shifty:

We would have won - only Liverpool fans meant we weren't allowed in Europe that year....

<_<

This doesn't really prove much, but I was looking for other unbeaten season in domestic leagues and found this really interesting:

Unbeaten Seasons

Find it hilarious that Perugia managed to draw 19 games out of 30 in the league as part of an unbeaten season (and they didn't even win the title.) Those crazy defensive Italians :shifty:

Also, the Egyptian league has seen 4 unbeaten seasons in the last 7 years in a 26 game season. From 3 different teams as well.

EDIT: Though the bits actually relevant to this discussion - the mid-90s Ajax team and the early 90s Milan team both had undefeated seasons and won multiple European Cups as well.

Edited by -A-