Nightmare on Elm Street Reboot

zero

The idea is scary as hell... but the original series, Freddy Krueger came across as a pretty cool guy. I know they wanted a marketable villain, which is why he was written that way... but he's a child molestor who's turned into a dream demon... the audience shouldn't want to hang out with him.

I know I wanted to hang out with him....except for that nasty way he`d shove his hand through my face :P

Nightmare 2 is a cinematic abortion right in line with Hellraiser 2, my worst movie of all time.

Thankfully they figured out an acceptable formula for the Elm Street franchise after that. Movies from 3 on weren't great but they're spectacular compared to 2.

• 3 months later...

ff8l1c.jpg

Source: MySpace Trailer Park

I'm necroposting a bit, but there's no reason to start a new thread when we've already got one. Today, Platinum Dunes released the first image of Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger, and though it's a tease, I think it's awesome.

Brad Fuller's Twitter says that we'll also be getting a second image of Freddy via IGN at some point today.

While Jackie Earle Haley does look very badass. I still know deep down in my heart that this film will be utterly terrible.

Prove me wrong music video director that they hired. I really hope you prove me wrong.

Edited by TheDeanWilby

I'm definitely looking forward to this. It could be very, very bad. But it could also be very good. I may be in the minority, but I've loved the Texas Chainsaw "re-imagining" as well as the Halloween "re-imagining"... and dare I say, the Friday the 13th one wasn't too bad either.

Those were easy to pull off though, because they all wore masks. Now, to me, Robert Englund IS Freddy... so it's going to be quite awkward to see Freddy's face and NOT see Englund... but here's to hoping they pull it off well.

While Jackie Earle Haley does look very badass. I still know deep down in my heart that this film will be utterly terrible.

Prove me wrong music video director that they hired. I really hope you prove me wrong.

I don't think it'll be terrible at all. They'll be able to actually throw in stuff they weren't able to all those years ago to hopefully stop some of it from being hilariously over the top bad. I think most people shit on some of the old movies now because times have changed. It's easy to look back on the old franchise and say how hilarious it was, but that certainly wasn't the case at the time.

Personally, I've loved all of the remakes they've done on the other franchises. I'm expecting this to exceed most peoples expectations (bar the people who moan about anything just for the sake of it). Hopefully they focus mostly on the scaring part and not so much on the comedy factor that was sometimes applied in the old ones.

I am very much wanting this to be great. From what I've read about the script, they seem to be taking it back to making Freddy what he's supposed to be... fucking terrifying. I just don't want to get my hopes up because this will be an extremely hard film to pull off. I want it to be good... but somehow having a director who's done nothing but music videos doesn't instill me with much confidence.

Yeah, and while I'll freely admit that his video for The Black Parade, and all his Green Day stuff is good... I would have preferred a name director. Hell... scratch that... I'm just happy they didn't go with Rob Zombie.

Edited by TheDeanWilby

Woo, one music video director is better than others who made films because of four minute clips he's made!

Since music video director turned filmmaker is a crapshoot, and that you'll find an incredibly wide gap in quality of films (see: Marc Webb of the recent 500 Days of Summer versus Joseph Kahn of Torque fame). Bayer's videos have always come off as pretentious to me, such as the attempt to create "hidden meaning" to repeating "wake me up when September ends" 80,000 times with the whole anti-war clip.

Sadly, though, music video director turned horror movie director isn't exactly a prospect of great movie. (I think of Dave Meyers, who did big gaudy videos akin to Bayer, who also did The Hitcher remake.) We'll just have to see.

So far...I'm impressed, and I think the Jackie Earle Haley is a great pick as he was absolutely fantastic as Rorscarch and incredibly creepy in Little Children. As the for the whole film I'll just have to see it, I thought Zombie's Halloween was decent, but the Friday The 13th remake boring after the first hour.