2009 - Another Year Of Live Music

YI

DATE: June 5th 2009

VENUE: The Meadows (aka Comcast Theatre), Hartford CT

GIG: Dave Matthews Band (w/ Femi Kuti and the Positive Force)

One of the biggest parties of the year in the state of Connecticut (where people won't get shot at afterwards), the two day DMB set at the Meadows (or whatever the hell they call it now). Rivals up there with Kenny Chesney shows. Only instead of the fake rednecks, we got the preppy kids. And holy hell there are a lot of preppy kids in this place. Older people obviously take the seats under the roof, the kids go back to the lawn. And holy hell that is a big lawn, they say it can fit up to 18k people.

Let me just air out my non-musical grievances and comments first. First off: the parking garage I left my car in was closed at 10 pm. Ended up getting our cars out anyway, thanks to a few New Yorkers in front of me who got the damn garage door open. (Who the hell closes a parking garage at 10 pm with two big concerts within a mile and a half, one of which shows signage to go to your place?) Secondly, what's with all the high school kids just openly drinking and smoking? Third, I missed the smell of weed. Fourthly, if anyone is in Hartford for any some odd reason, City Steam Brew House is LD recommended. (Y)

And fifth: before the show began I was squatting down at the top of the lawn hill. Security guard comes up and tells me I probably should move and stay away from the fence since drunk kids take pisses up there. o_O

Opening band was ok. It was like Afro pop and jazz. The guy is from Nigeria. Couldn't really get interested. Wandered around a lot, took a couple bathroom trips (remember: beer earlier), was tempted to get some Little Caesars.

Finally settled along the railing at the front edge of the lawn section / back edge of the seated area. Could not see the stage from where I was, rather got a good shot at the jumbotron. Few people saw an opening next to me, jumped over the rail. Some got caught, some did not. Overall not as creepy as last year with all the crazy stoners and drunks and rail jumpers.

Setlist:

Pantala Naga Pampa / Rapunzel

Spaceman »

Corn Bread

Seven

One Sweet World

You Might Die Trying

Funny the Way It Is

Dancing Nancies (Y)

Alligator Pie

Where Are You Going

Why I Am

The Dreaming Tree (Y)

Squirm

Crush (Y)

Time Bomb

Grey Street (Y)

------------

Rye Whiskey

Everyday

Stay (Wasting Time)

Since there's a new album out this week, and this was the first official show with the new album out - hello to all the new stuff. So for a good chunk of the show I was pretty lost. I've only heard the new album once before going to the show. Was mostly scattered about during the middle of the show.

Towards the end and in the encore, got to some of the older favorites - and the crowd beloved ending. I was hoping Everyday wouldn't be the closer, but Stay quickly started which wasn't too bad. Everyday and Where Are You Going just doesn't seem to go well with me, while everyone else loves it.

Half the lawn lit up as all the teenagers with their Bic lighters sparked fires between Grey Street and the encore. Made me wish I had a lighter on me, cell phones just don't cut it - especially when the back light goes out after 30 seconds or so.

Start of the encore was some traditional song, which I looked up just now. Apparently this version, Dave solo, is taken from a Pete Seeger rendition originally done from the 50s. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Crush and Dreaming Tree went on for lengthy lengthy jams afterwards, both songs at the end clocked in a good 11-13 minutes afterwards. Both are pretty long to begin with, but hey... I really really like em, I'm not complaining. Dancing Nancies probably went about 10-11 with the jam tacked on, Grey Street probably 9-10. I can't really recall looking at my watch except for Crush, so it's all just estimations with the rest. Those four were my favorites of the night.

I probably needed to listen to Big Whiskey a few more times to really appreciate half the show. Seven of the 19 were from that, so there I'm just sitting there like "uh, alright then". (Again, as expected since new album and first show since release.) Then five more from "Before These Crowded Streets", which I consider the second best studio album.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The problem with these 'reviews' are that I generally leave it so long after the gig to write/post them, I can generally remember fuck all about the gig/music on show. So, with that in mind, I chose the show with the least to do with music, the glorious Evolution Festival.

evozmk.jpg

DATE(S): May 24th/25th 2009

VENUE: Newcastle/Gateshead Quayside

GIG: EVOLUTION FESTIVAL 2009

Evolution Festival, the one time a year charvas pretend to enjoy indie music so they can start fights, and man, there was some good ones this weekend.

Beginning in 2005 under the moniker Freevolution, headlined by popular local indie act The Futureheads, I first attended in 2007, when it was still a free day of entertainment, and I saw a little of Calvin Harris and an awesome headline set from Maximo Park to finish the day. However the highlight for us was the way we covertly smuggled drink into the venues, and the shenanigans that went with it (stories that are still proudly repeated to this day). 2008 saw it expand and a £3 pricetag put on the event, with more big name acts performing. However I was at my happiest dicking about with a football, paying very little attention (as you can gather from the review in my thread last year).

2009, it's grown even more, now a 2-day spectacle, now £15, featuring; hip headliners, classic artists, a WAX:ON curated dance stage, the cream of the local crop and free Chlamydia testing. £15 though, I got a little stingey, I wanted to get my money's worth. And to be fair, I got it.

SUNDAY

We were rough as fuck on Sunday morning. I'd been to Durham the night before to see Defiance, Ohio (BYOB, man, what an idea!) but came back and had a pretty messy night in Newcastle. I dragged my arse to the metro, litre bottle of vodka and coke in hand, which accompanied with the sunshine did a fabulous job of fighting off the hangover. We got up and the place was dead, we decided to have a bit of a wander, played a game of Greggs Roulette in which all of us emerged victorious. After that bombshell, two of us polished off the vodka (the other two were being puffs) and we headed back across the river to the WAX:ON curated dance stage where local DJ duo People Get Real were playing to a hundred or so people loitering about. Was nice, nothing spectacular, but a good enough background soundtrack to our conversation while drinking cider in the sun.

They were followed by a producer I was actually excited to see, France's Yuksek. I know it's not an original comparison to make, but falling somewhere nicely between Justice and Daft Punk, his stuff's not going to set the world alight, but it's great music. There were a couple of tunes he did that I recognised, but while staring blankly into space occasionally nodding my head, I realised this kind of 'dance music' just does not work outside in the sun during the day...and...the girl a little in front of me had the most AMAZING ARSE I have EVER seen. Like I mean, absolute perfection in a little black dress. In fact, in my already slightly tipsy state I decided that it would be a good idea to tell her she had "the most amazing arse I have ever seen"...so I did...she rather cautiously smiled like I was some form of rapist (to be fair, the beard really didn't help) and said "Thank you", as I went back off on the wander with my friends.

After a trek we made it to the Newcastle side, where after being badgered about Chlamydia testing (why do I look the most likely out of all my friends to have chlamydia...Do I look the most sexually active? (good times) Or do I just look the most desperate (bad times)...to be fair, the beard really didn't help), which I eventually took, giving fake info on the Monday in an attempt to steal the piss cup (to do shots from at a later date) and failed. We saw a bit of The Saint & The Cynics on the Newcastle College stage, stopped in our tracks by the fact they had two gorgeous brunettes splitting the vocals. About halfway through one of their soul/blues twinged pop-rock numbers, it clicked that we'd actually seen these last night in Academy 2, where again, we were stopped in our tracks by the fact they had two gorgeous brunettes singing. Really good for a local band, the song's don't tend to sound as good on the myspace player, but a band I'd happily checkout properly at some point or other.

With that we wandered to the main stage where Detroit Social Club came on. We stomached two songs, but they were just a shit Stone Roses...so we left and headed off to find a pub (not too packed) putting the match on. We tried up near Stepney Bank way, nothing...in the end we ended all the way back past the Millenium Bridge to find somewhere. I can't remember where now, but it's that black faced pub up the bank a little bit. Watched the match, we got relegated, bad times, but can't really dwell on it, so we made our way back to the Newcastle stage.

We caught White Lies next. "Unfinished Business" was honestly one of my most played songs of last year, it was gloriously dark, but so catchy, it was put together perfectly, a glorious little indie-pop song. At Leeds, in the small Festival Republic tent they put on a hell of a performance, even though the vast majority of the audience were only aware of two songs, "Unfinished Business" and "Death". However, the laid back band that captivated a small audience at Leeds Festival, 9-months or so later come on stage looking like complete bellends, strutting about like 'over the top rockstars' having produced an incredibly mediocre album, with terrible re-recordings of older songs. Their style also doesn't work in a much larger space and the vast majority of the time they just came across incredibly dull. Also, I will take this point to bitch and moan about the fact they no longer acknowledge "Unfinished Business" as a single...the dickheads.

Oh, before I forget. During our wanderings around looking for a pub showing the match, we saw a midget walking a horse...oh...simply glorious.

Up next was what was touted as a glorious piece of nostalgia that the vast majority of the attendence were too young (myself included) to really appreciate. The Human League took the stage and while we couldn't appreciate the nostalgia element, what we could appreciate was the fun as hell set of tunes that made people sing along and dance. Playing quality tracks such as; "Open Your Heart", "Human", "The Sound Of The Crowd", "Tell Me When", "Love Action" and "Empire State Human" they had a hell of a lot of people dancing. They kind of lost steam as things went on, but they were merely leaving the best till last. About 99% of the audience went nuts for "Don't You Want Me" which begun one of the biggest sing along's of the weekend as the band followed this up and ended with "Together In Electric Dreams", which caused me to break out some of the most cuntish dancemoves I have ever displayed. These two songs were worth the £15 alone to me, seriously. Marvellous.

Things started to get restless as darkness began to set in and the stage was being sorted for the headliners of the evening, The Wombats (I heard that Baltic headliner Boys Noize had to pull out, which is really unfortunate/shitty). While Green Day blasted over the PA system a full scale fight broke out a matter of feet in front of us. I mean, absolute CRAZY SHIT! It was amazing. ONE GUY vs. THE WORLD!!! And he was fucking standing!! His shirt was ripped to fuck, he had people pelting him in the face, girls running in kicking him, yet he never went down once!! He never stopped swinging, he was a motherfucking machine. In fact, after security seperated things (and he was still swinging to fuck) some of the guys who were seconds ago beating the piss out of him went over and shook his hand. Fuck Chuck Norris jokes...this man, is one mental motherfucker!

Oh yeah, The Wombats. I always liked The Wombats. Out of all those post Arctic Monkey's, 'keeping it real life' kind bands, they were always my next favourite. Their album was altogether solid, nothing particularly terrible and a handful of really good tracks with catchy hooks and sections where you just want to scream along. I mean, all you had to do was look at the most popular songs of the night; "Kill The Director", "Let's Dance To Joy Division", "Let's Dance To Joy Division" and the closer "Backfire At The Disco"...yes they were the single's, but they're all catchy as hell, simple and easy to sing along to. Seriously, I can't think of anybody who can't find satisfaction in yelling out "THIS IS A ROMCOM!!! KILL THE DIRECTOR!!". When they slowed things down and played a new song or two, the band were kind of out of their comfort zone, not 100% confident in their ability to keep that many people interested, to be fair, they didn't. Recent single "My Circuitboard City" went down well though. Really disappointed at the lack of "School Uniforms" my favourite track from the debut. While on the subject of school uniforms, the sheer amount of knee socks on display this weekend restored my faith in humanity.

I went all skitz upon discovering at night, on the walkway on the Millenium bridge (on the left when you're going from Newcastle side to Gateshead side) you can see the water moving underneath you. SCARED ME SHITLESS!

MONDAY

I took great satisfaction on the Monday morning in that 1) I didn't have a hangover, 2) I was the only one of my friends who wasn't burnt to a crisp from the day before (I don't burn :D)...while everyone was moaning about how it hurt them to shower (up until a few weeks ago, a friends was still peeling, a process which begun and never stopped since Evo) I was happily sitting there, again, vodka and coke in hand. We got off at the metro and once again played Greggs roulette, this time at the Gateshead side. Again, shockingly, we won. It was going to be a good day...oh, it really wasn't...well...it was...but the next day I thought this Monday was quite possibly the 'worst day of my life'.

We went straight over to the Newcastle side, finishing the vodka on the way, because the stage was being opened by 'our Marina'. I have been pimping Marina & The Diamonds as a breakout star for this year since late last year when I heard "Mowgli's Road". Whilst that and "Obsessions" was technically a double A-side, I think it's going to be "Mowgli's Road" that will be the song to break her out, if it does happen, given that she's actually signed to a major now, it will happen. :shifty: But while she was an artist I have grown to adore, she's one I honestly never thought I'd go to see. I mean, she's a pop act at the end of the day. I didn't really see an opportunity cropping up where I'd honestly be motivated to see her, so I was ecstatic when both her and Little Boots were part of this Evo-Fest line-up.

Marina & The Diamonds took the stage, looking every bit the ever so slightly tarred sex goddess and quickly charmed the crowd before breaking into a vast array of quirky pop numbers, including "Seventeen" and new single "I Am Not A Robot". She made mention to ripping her tights, which allowed for the old classic "is that a ladder in your tights or a stairway to heaven?" to be muttered by just about everybody with a penis watching her. She played a great cover of Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For", every bit as quirky and 'weird' as the original. She finished her set, having clearly won over a lot of the respectful crowd with the before mentioned Double A-side tracks, piano based "Obsessions" and finally with a rousing performance of "Mowgli's Road".

We had a bit of a wander about, go to the bar, see some band with a fit blonde girl singing, play the Newcastle College stage...despite my best efforts, I can't figure out who the fuck they were...an educated guess would be Djanglearbra...purely because they're a local indie band with a fit blonde singer...but, yeah, don't quote me on it. I found a list of bands that played the stage, and they weren't on there, but none of the other bands fit the description, besides maybe Small Screen Light Show, but they were on the day before, late.

There are three local indie outfits that I've claimed for over a year now, it just needs someone 'in the business' to pick up on them and they could be huge. They are Feeder style, thumping, Indoor Fireworks. Electro-pop twinged, Moira Stewart. And the joyful, catchy as hell, cute riff laden, Little Comets. Strangely, while thinking this about these bands for so long, I've never actually seen any of them live. I admit, I was a little nervous as to how Little Comets would actually come across live, but they were fabulous. Storming through the likes of "Adultery", "Joanna", "Friday, Don't Need It" and "One Night In October". Absolutely fabulous set, only downside was the lack of "Fiancé", which is a fabulous earlier song. I've also since discovered via youtube, Little Comets actually have a bloody brilliant 'gimmick', where they just show up at Universities and disrupt lectures/going into common rooms and play "Friday, Don't Need It" and once because they were really bored "Back In Black" by AC/DC. :shifty: Why can't they do it at Newcastle. :( Seriously a band that COULD be HUGE, just needs the right person giving them airplay.

After Comets we had a long time to kill until "Lidl Value Goldfrapp" aka. the magnificent, Little Boots took the stage, so went on the wander to Lloyds bar and listened to Some Beardy Guy Play Covers outside, enjoying a nice pint next to the river in the sun (he was actually pretty damn good). This is where the day suddenly turns. You should know, this fell slap bang in the middle of my exam period. I had an exam on Saturday morning and my next one was Tuesday morning, which also happened to be one of my weakest modules. I was running a massive risk by not only hitting up Evo for 2-days, but also spending the majority of Saturday on the piss. In fact, I did zero revision over the weekend for it. Now, one of our friends suggested returning to Evo to meet some 'Cuntrag' (<ahttp://www.ewbattleground.com/uploads/emoticons/default_shifty.gif' alt=':shifty:'>), but me and another friend were having none of it. He fucked off, so we decided to kill a few hours and have some nice cheap treble vodkas. So we spout shit for a couple of hours, keep drinking, suddenly realise we've missed Little Boots (:() think to hell with it, continue on and decide to wander back down and catch Ladyhawke at Gateshead.

Next thing I know...it's 6am Tuesday morning!!! And I'm in bed...I boot up MSN thinking "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!". The lad I was with...is still awake, online, still fucking pissed! From what he remembers, I was refusing to meet this other lad, and wanted to go see Ladyhawke, so we went our seperate ways. Turns out, this lad was somehow found by my other mates when he left me, after sending them blank texts for 10-minutes, they found him wandering about unable to speak any coherent English for the best part of an hour. As you can see...FAR FROM A FUCKING GOOD DAY!! I'm annoyed because while I saw Ladyhawke I remember very little besides her coming on, talking to some guys with like illuminous facepaint...and...well that's it. She was one of the artists I was most looking forward to seeing as well, plus I'd spent the best part of the weekend convincing people that the fact she had aspergers just makes her cuter...AND SHE DOES NOT HAVE FUCKING DOWNS SYNDROME YOU CUNTS!?!?!?! :shifty:

...so...yeah, I am also pretty sure I saw Friendly Fires as well. Again, I remember nothing. Which isn't really that bad of a thing, because let's be honest here, they only have one good song. But apparently, I got back in the house between half 10 and 11, and was seemingly really coherent and polite and stayed and had a fucking conversation with my mam...so the times add up with me seeing Friendly Fires, or I just drunkenly staggered around for hours on end.

So yeah, disastrous day. I basically had a hangover until Wednesday. :shifty: What was originally the plan to revise on the Tuesday morning, never came to fruition, I went into my exam absolutely shitting myself.

Oh yeah, Monday headliner was Dizzee Rascal, not seeing him meant I continued my amazing trend of "not seeing him live (when having the opportunity)".

Oh, and I got a 55%! GOOD TIMES!

All in all, Evo lives up to its promises yet again. ROLL ON NEXT YEAR'S DEBAUCHERY!!!

...I hate this 'review' to be fair...I use "we"/"friends" far too much, it's like I have some form of defence mechanism (not the word I want...but fuck...you get what I mean) all "PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE ME YOU KNOW!!!"...to be fair, I don't think they do...they humour me. :shifty: But yeah, I can't be arsed to read through it and edit it...nobody will read the entire fucking thing anyway. :shifty:

Edited by YI

AustinLucas1creditRalphEberhard_700x400_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

DATE: June 22nd 2009

VENUE: Independent #2 - Sunderland

GIG: AUSTIN LUCAS (w/Mike Hale, Josh Small, Former Cell Mates)

The gig had been moved across the street from White Rooms to the backroom of Independent. Stumbling up the stairs a bit worse for wear (after seeing Austin Lucas chilling outside), I managed to reach upstairs without doing too much damage to myself, why the hell don't they have lights on a staircase that steap? Ridiculous.

Entry was free, which was glorious, and soon Sunderland's own Former Cell Mates take the 'stage'/corner of the room to applause from the crowd. Far from your average local band, with two great albums under their belts, Former Cell Mates actually seem to rarely play the area these days. They've been on many a American tour and supported Gaslight Anthem on their first two 'tours' in the UK. The band are the only 'electric' offering of the night, plowing through a variety of songs from their 2008 sophomore effort "Who's Dead And What's To Pay". The crowd are respectful but a little somber to the Leatherface meets Bruce Springsteen punk-rock offerings. But the band are 100% passion and energy, all the way from opener "Party Tricks" to their set closer "Gypsy's Curse", and all the songs inbetween, such as; "Always", "Does He Make You Laugh?", "Pretty Dress" and "Why Would You Pray For Me?" etc. A band I'm really happy to have finally caught live.

After a lengthy soundcheck for the next three artists, where it should be said they do a gorgeous rendition of "Lives Like Mine" by Mike Hale, which had me swooning. :shifty:Josh Small, the first Suburban Home artist on the bill tonight takes centre stage to perform. Small switches betwen banjo and acoustic guitar, often inviting other performers on the stage with him to fill out his tracks. He plays a selection of beautiful old school country sounding tracks from his debut album, "Tall by Josh Small", while providing the crowd, a lot of whom who have filtered out after Former Cell Mates, some cute and funny anecdotes between songs. Nice, if a little uneventful. He;s in Pedals On Our Pirate Ships top myspace friends though...should have brought them over. :(

Thankfully the audience started to fill out nicely again as the man I came to see, Mike Hale stood up to the microphone. He opened performing alongside Austin Lucas with a rendition of the title track from his new album, "Lives Like Mine", following it with a breathtaking version of "Indigo Blues". Between tracks Hale outed himself as a charming drunk, thanking us for supporting live music, generally talking a lot of shit and kissing the microphone from time to time, for some reason. But his performance was amazing. He did shoutouts to two (well technically 3, because of the lyric "Jawbreaker are still my favourite band") of his favourite artists, playing a cover of "Skulls" by The Misfits, the song he claims made him want to learn guitar. And then later he performed "Leatherface Fan", a tribute to Sunderland's own Leatherface. Frankie Stubbs, singer of whom, was in attendence, and bassist David Lee had earlier in the night performed fronting his new outfit (Former Cell Mates, obviously). His vocal work is just as powerful live as on CD. Ultimately I was a little disappointed with the length of his set, buthe was support, so it's understandable. But he managed to get some great tracks from "Broken With No Hope" (my favourite album of last year) in, playing "My Last Goodbye", "Fuck The World" and "Easy Come, Easy Go". Strangely, his selection of tracks from "Lives Like Mine" weren't for the most part, my favourites, but they were all performed gorgeously, so I cannot complain one bit. Also, he gave me a hug when I was talking to him later on...Mike Hale is a legend. :wub:

Finally Austin Lucas performed. While Mike Hale had occasionally made use of a fiddle player and bassist, Lucas performed basically his entire set with their help. Again performers were invited up on stage to join in with songs. I'd been meaning to check out more of Lucas, as all I know is the duet album, "bristle Ridge", which he did with Chuck Ragain. But despite saying I would check more out, I honestly never really got round to it. But his songs were catchy, they were fun, he talked a lot though, the only downside I had. Since the show I again have been saying to myself "I should check more of his stuff out", but then again, as of yet, I haven't.

To be honest, the show had a really good feel to it. you had the exciting opening with the fullband, in Former Cell Mates. And while all three Suburban Home performers are 'acoustic' artists they all go about it in very different ways. Small with his vintage country sound and some banjo plucking thrown in for good measure. Mike Hale and his heartbreaking acoustic arrangements, with a voice so soft, yet at the same time, so powerful. And Lucas, who is more upbeat with an americana/bluegrass feel to his songs. It never got boring, a perfectly constructed show.

Not bad for free show! Oh, and not my photo...my phone doesn't have flash (new one does :D) and the venue was dark as fuck, so nothing would come out...it's just a random google photo. :shifty:

Oh, and you can download Mike Hale's new album for free (YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE IT DAMNIT!) - http://liveslikemine.suburbanhomerecords.com/index2.html

SETLISTS

MIKE HALE

Lives Like Mine

Indigo Blues

Skulls (Misfits Cover)

Fuck The World

Leatherface Fan

Making History Today

Easy Come, Easy Go

When She Loved Me

My Last Goodbye

Just so you know, either Blur or Prodigy will be next. I've decided to do something people might actually give a fuck about. :shifty:

Edited by YI

So this appears to be the topic where we (or YI himself) posts reviews of gigs we have attended, and so here I go with mine. This may not fit into the current crop of reviews we have had, as my band are not new, they're not funky, they're not underground, they're not indie, they're not whatever the hell you guys like to review in here. So here goes (and I will shamelessly steal YI's format :shifty: ):

Date: July 4th, 2009

Venue: Hampden Park - Glasgow

Gig: The Eagles (Support - Paul Carrack)

We started the show at 7 on a hot Scottish evening ( o_O ) with Paul Carrack of Mike And The Mechanics and Squeeze fame, and this was a very welcomed surprise as I have been a fan of his for a while now, due mostly to his Mike and the Mechanics numbers. Carrack treated us to a good seven songs, some from his new album, before getting to his older stuff (Living Years, Looking Back Over My Shoulder, Another Cup Of Coffee). Awesome performance from one of my favourite singers and easily one of the best songwriters I have came across (alongside The Eagles, Jim Steinman and Bruce Springsteen).

Then around eight, The Eagles appeared and went straight into one of their hits from the Long Road Out Of Eden album - How Long. Easily my favourite song off the new album, and Don Henley and Glenn Frey's voices were top notch. We then got an introduction, with Frey stating that they are "The Ancient ones, the band that wouldn't die. We're from when the Dead Sea was just sick".

I Don't Want To Hear Any More followed, another from the new album. Then we got right into the old stuff with the "Credit Card" song third to be played in Take It To The Limit. A crowd pleaser it sure was, as the full stadium sang the chorus which was amazing. Joe Walsh's first song of the night, Guilty of the Crime was next.

Next came the trumpet solo, followed by the guitar line that is world renowned. That of Hotel California, easily one of the greatest musical pieces in history, with Henley at the top of his game, and Walsh hitting the famous solo at the end of the song with perfection.

We then had the perfect mix of Henley and Frey's "Classic Eagles" songs, Timothy B Schimdt "newer album songs" and Joe Walsh's crazy and extremely funny solo work.

Joe Walsh while easily being one of the greatest guitar players ever, is also one of the funniest, and his antics through the entire set kept me entertained for the full two and a half hours.

On a whole I loved the performance, everything was just as I expected, four musically gifted singers and guitarists, doing what they do best. They probably aren't in it for the money now, and just want to please their mass of fans and they do that perfectly. Also Don Henley must be the only singer I know who plays the drums and sings at the same time.

Anyway I'll let you get back to your normal reviews, at least until Tuesday, when I go and see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Hampden. To sign off I'll leave you with The Eagles set list:

How Long

I Don't Want To Hear Any More

Take It To The Limit

Guilty Of The Crime

Hotel California

Peaceful Easy Feeling

I Can't Tell You Why

Witchy Woman

Lyin' Eyes

One Of These Nights

Walk Away

Boys Of Summer

In The City

Long Run

Life's Been Good (If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favour and watch this: Joe Walsh At His Best

Dirty Laundry

Funk#49

Heartache Tonight

Encore:

Life In The Fast Lane

Rocky Mountain Way

Desperado

While you were typing that up I added a 'Other People's Reviews' section to the first post. :)

I'm trying to fiddle about with the format a bit while I have a shitload of time over the summer (because the calender way, while presentation wise I like it, it falls a bit of a sync as I don't review in order etc.). I'm thinking of maybe a big list where I just list every artist in alphabetical order, and link to where they've been reviewed (regardless of who reviewed them in here). Bah, I'll figure it out.

I don't listen to anywhere near enough 'classic' rock stuff. But those kind of gigs, even though I know I wouldn't appreciate it as much as others, the idea of them, just seeing legends still rock, really intrigue me. But the only really 'classic' band that I'd really, really appreciate would probably be The Jam...I know "From The Jam" tour about...but without Weller, it's nothing. :shifty:

Okay, I lied...I got listening to Defeater and had the urge to write this up. Prodigy tomorrow, I swear. :)

pbs.jpg

DATE: June 2nd 2009

VENUE: O2 Academy 2 - Newcastle

GIG: POLAR BEAR CLUB (w/Ruiner, Defeater)

It must be the in-thing to promote "Label Branded Tours" these days. My last posted review was for the Suburban Home tour. Tonight's show was part of the "Bridge 9 Tour". Bridge 9 records started life as a strict hardcore punk label in the mid-90's, but recently it's expanded its horizons to oter areas of punk-rock, snapping up the likes of Crime In Stereo, Strike Anywhere and tonight's headlining band, Polar Bear Club. In doing this, along with the before mentioned Suburban Home Records (Mike Hale, Look Mexico, Two Cow Garage, In The Red, Joey Cape, Scott Reynolds & The Steaming Beast etc.) and the UK's Big Scary Monsters (This Town Needs Guns, Jeniferever, Blakfish, Tubelord, Mimas, Pulled Apart By Horses, The Tupelov Ghost etc.) Bridge 9 in my opinion has one of the hottest, most exciting rosters in the music business.

The north east's a bit weird when it comes to the punk-rock scene. I mean, we have one. It's just...incredibly understated. While pop-punk gigs like Paige/Me Vs Hero sees 'the kids' really get into things, ska gigs like Streetlight Manifesto cause absolute frenzies (bruises for weeks!), folk'punk gigs like Defiance, Ohio inspire mass sing alongs...actual punk-rock/hardcore gigs, for the most part, it's awfully understated. People standing around, yes respectively bobbing their heads, occasionally muttering a line or two along, clapping and cheering after each song...but it's almost scarily restrained. It seemingly takes a big or special band (A Wilhelm Scream is one that instantly springs to mind) to really inspire people on here in Newcastle, which I feel at times must be really disheartening for the bands who perform here.

First of all, let's look at Defeater, the first band on the bill. They are very much a Bridge 9 band, a brutal hardcore band from the US, with a lot in common with fellow labelmates Verse, as well as Modern Life Is War and European's, Raised Fist. There was already quite a good crowd standing around the venue as the band take the stage, expecting them to riproar into a brutal, in your face track. Instead, the singer emerged from the side and wandered among the crowd acoustic guitar in hand singing the Bright Eyes sounding acoustic section of "Prophet In Pain Clothes". Their album "Travels" is a rather fucked up 'concept album' about an abused family, murder, all sorts of stuff (lyrically really, really good though). This section is the turning point in the story, where the main character hears a homeless man singing a song (this) and decides to go back home and confront his past demons (which ultimately becomes his downfall). After the crowd figure out what the fuck's going on and the acoustic number wraps up, and he joins his fellow band members on stage, launching into album opener "Blessed Burden" which, in typical Newcastle fashion, is met with typical blankness, but enthusiastic cheers and claps upon culmination. This doesn't phase the band, who continue through their set, performing highlights from "Travels". One hell of a live band, everything's so epic and tight.

Up next is another hardcore act in Ruiner. Ruiner are bit less 'shouty' with a bit more of a punk edge, but still loud and brutal. I'm not overly into Ruiner, I mean they put on an okay show, besides the ginger bearded singer taking his top off, but they're not particularly exciting to me. Okay I guess, but didn't really change my opinion on them, going into the show.

Up next were headliners and recent signings to the Bridge 9 label, Polar Bear Club. By this time the Academy had filled up quite well, possibly even a couple of hundred (top end estimate) in. This is my third time in a matter of months seeing PBC, and they've never ceased to amaze me. I saw them opening for Gaslight Anthem and Frank Turner in London at the start of the year, where their stage presence and the power of their songs clearly won them many a new fan. A short time later, I decided to go and see their headline show in Leeds after discovering I could do it all with travel for £15...despite a hiccup with accomodation (the person who said they'd put me up for the night...not actually being in Leeds that night) I managed to make it through the experience alive, and it was worth it. The crowd was really into it, crowdsurfing, lots of singing along, tonnes of fun. Newcastle, it had a different vibe. The crowd were respectful, cheered, clapped, just as they did throughout the support bands. But a small group congregated at the barrier, 10 or so, tops. A group who screamed along, hands in the air, and in a weird way it was just as though the band were just playing to us. It suddenly became intimate as hell.

As for the performance itself. I've seen the band 3-times now, they've played pretty much the same setlist, but each time I've got something entirely different from their performance (always been awesome though), which is the best compliment I can ever give a live band. I first began listening to Polar Bear Club with the release of their EP, "The Redder, The Better" in 2006. They released their debut album "Sometimes Things Just Disappear" last year and their follow-up "Chasing Hamburg" is due this September. Whilst a big fan of the EP and the album, nothing prepared me for just how awesome a live band these guys are. Jimmy Stadt the singer, with the looks and moves that would instantly make emo girls wet, but a voice (to steal a quote from my previous PBC review) you could "gravel a drive with", it's just so powerful. Plus, they seem to be having a hell of a time up on the stage. They played a different new song than they played in London and Leeds, both of which are awesome (and I don't think either were "Living Saints" which is now doing the rounds, but my memories of the live songs are a bit blurred). After leaving the stage following "Our Ballads" the audience broke into shouts of "One more song", which the band agreed to, coming back on to perform an encore, something they claim to 'never do'. They deliver a fantastic rendition of "Most Miserable Life" (the 4th from the EP...much like in Leeds they also played an old demo track, "To The Engravers") which is one of my favourite punk-rock sing along tracks in 'recent' times. Full of "Whoa's" and a chorus/motif that just begs you to do the old 'point to the air and scream at the top of your lungs' routine.

I could go on all day about how great these guys are, but I have another review at some point to do that. Seriously, if you get the chance, go see them live.

All hail the shittily taken photo. :shifty:

SETLISTS

POLAR BEAR CLUB

Eat Dinner, Bury The Dog, And Run

Election Day

Another Night In The Rock

Hollow Place

Resent & Resistance

NEW SONG

Burned Out In A Jar

Bug Parade

To The Engravers

Parked In The Parking Lot Of Your Heart

Our Ballads

-----------------------------

Most Miserable Life

DEFEATER (may be a little off)

Prophet In Plain Clothes (Acoustic Section)

Blessed Burden

Everything Went Quiet

The City By Dawn

Nameless Streets

The Blues

Prophet In Plain Clothes (Full Band Section)

theprodigy300.jpg

DATE: April 6th 2009

VENUE: Metro Radio Arena - Newcastle

GIG: THE PRODIGY (w/Dizzee Rascal)

The trend of missing Dizzee Rascal a friend and I have, continued tonight, as we preferred to sit in the pub and drink, while waiting for another friend to get out of work at 7. We had a couple more before heading up to catch the show. I admit, I didn't buy my ticket, it was a Christmas present from my brother, which I love him dearly for, because Prodigy were so good that they just about melted our faces right off.

Screeching electronics, pounding rhyhtms, 'crunching guitar' sounds (© IaceI), frenzied shouts from Keith Flint and company, as well as a lightshow that could send the healthiest human being into a fit...The Prodigy were absolutely insane, and worth every penny that my brother forked out for tickets...still doesn't change the fact he owes me £40 though. :shifty:

The tour is in support of their "Invaders Must Die" album, and the vast majority of the set is taken from the new album. I know, you think, that might be disappointing especially for a band wtih a back catalogue like Prodigy, but "Invaders Must Die" is arguably one of their most consistent albums to date, and full of songs that will cause arena's like this to explode with enthusiasm, have people dancing, jumping around and yelling along at the top of their lungs.

The first songs helps with the building of suspense, after some electronic rumblings that build and build they open with "World's On Fire". Which when it eventually kicks in has the entire place going mental. This is a recurring theme all night, you're not static on your feet very long, if at all. Dancing like a maniac, jumping around...telling strangers "No, I don't want any of your dodgy pills"...FUCKING GLORIOUS!

Soon they bust out the first 'classic' of the night (most of which are scalped from the "Fat Of The Land" album) in "Breathe". From the moment that recognisable riff starts up the entire building goes insane. It just feels like I'm repeating myself here, but seriously, it's THE MOST CRAZY experience of my life. Seriously, I honestly cannot think of another artist that can throw together riffs and hooks like Prodigy can, "Breathe" transitions into a dubstep remix and then, as if to perfectly prove my point they launch straight into current hit "Omen", which is easily one of the club songs of the year, and will remain so for years to come.

Sweat already dripping from me, things continue at a million miles per hour. The band unleash hit after hit in the form of "Firestarter", "Poison", "No Good" and "Voodoo People". Interspurced throughout were a selection of tracks from "Invaders Must Die", such as new single "Warrior's Dance", "Thunder" and "Run With The Wolves". After "Voodoo People" they close the set out with an interesting choice, new album b-side "The Big Gun Down (Comanche)". It gave the audience a rest, at least for a short while until Maxim Reality started screaming down off the stage and arms were soon in the air and feet moving. A real tribal, pounding song. Not really the most interesting thing in a non-live environment, but it rings right through your body live, outstanding.

The stage is left empty as The Prodigy are obviously offstage soaking up the applause, catching their breath after a nonstop influx of awesome. They arrive back on the scene accompanied to "Omen (Reprise)" that segues into the title track "Invaders Must Die". From here, they return to "Fat Of The Land" for their next two tracks, the thumping "Diesel Power" (which again gives us a few moments rest) and then of course, the recognisable bassline of "Smack My Bitch Up" begins and the entire place erupts. Closing things out with personal favourite from the current album "Take Me To The Hospital" and then the only trip back to debut album "Experience" in "Out Of Space" sends everybody happy.

Honestly, words cannot describe just how insane this gig was. People talk about 'rock & roll', what is 'rock & roll'...this, to me is what rock & roll is all about. Look at Keith Flint, he's like what, 40 now? In the last 15 years he has not aged a day. He's just strutting around the stage, couldn't give a fuck, giving off the vibe that in the last 24 hours he's had more cowies than the 10,000 strong audience have in their entire lifetime. He looks immortal/fucking mental.

Seriously, this is what 'rock & roll' should be. It was lavish, grandiose and outright OFFENSIVE AS FUCK! Vibrations through your body, everybody a sweaty mess, your muscles aching, your ears close to bleeding, your eyes being blinded at every direction...it was just offensive...but that's what made it so good. When the audience reached the outside world it was as if we all breathed a collective sigh of relief, we'd 'survived' the experience. But when you begin to reflect on it, the entire thing was perfect, all your senses were in complete overdrive, I know it's pushing a really shit analogy here, but it was sheer ecstacy. Seriously, what's heaven like for you? A nice fluffy place, where it's all peaceful and fuck all happens? No! Surely heaven's something that stimulates every part of your being, where there's so much happening you just can't comprehend it all. And that, is exactly like Prodigy was like.

There's always the talk of whether small venues or larger venues are better. For a band as over the top as Prodigy, they could have it no other way than absolutely destroying these kind of arenas night in, night out.

SETLISTS

THE PRODIGY

World's On Fire

Their Law

Breathe -> Breathe (Dubstep)

Omen

No Good (Start The Dance)

Poison

Warrior's Dance

Firestarter

Run With The Wolves

Thunder

Voodoo People

The Big Gun Down (Comanche)

-----------------------------

Omen (Reprise) -> Invaders Must Die

Diesel Power

Smack My Bitch Up

Take Me To The Hospital

Out Of Space

CHECK THEM OUT

The Prodigy

Dizzee Rascal

DATE: July 8th 2009

VENUE: Paradise Rock Club, Boston

GIG: Burning Spear (with opener iLa Mawana)

Holy shit, this might have been one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

I don't have a set list. Or really any way to describe this. Just two straight hours of pure awesomeness. I don't even get all wrapped up into a show quite list this, except when I saw Tiesto two years ago.

Show started off for like 45 minutes with Boston (or Rhode Island, I've heard both) group iLa Mawana, who had their EP release party last night. Not bad stuff, got a free EP out the deal too.

ADGray's T In The Park Adventure

:w00t: = Awesome / :D = Great / :) = Good / :( = Disappointing / :crying: = Mummy make it stop!!!

2ManyDJs - :)

Bloc Party - :)

Blur - :w00t:

Calvin Harris - :)

Foals - :(

Friendly Fires - :)

In Case of Fire - :crying:

Jason Mraz - :D

James - :D

Little Boots - :)

Pendulum - :D

The Gaslight Anthem - :w00t:

Tommy Reilly - :D

Unicorn Kid - :w00t:

We Were Promised Jetpacks - :)

I'm honestly not sure how many of these I will actually get to, but I like having some sort of 'forthcoming calender' so I know what I 'want' to go to. I have a tendency to forget about shows (and some will have to be cut because of money), so I'll toss it up here so I have a good idea of what's ahead;

July 18th

N.A.R.C Fest

ft. The Twilight Sad, The School, d_rradio, Spokes, The Acrobatic Society etc.

Newcastle

July 26th

Cash In The Mixtapes

Trillians - Newcastle

July 30th

DAZED & CONFUSED CLUB NIGHT LAUNCH

ft. Razmataz Lorry Excitement, Martini Sessions, Manila Chapter

World Headquarters - Newcastle

August 13th

Tubelord

w/ Ever Since The Lake Caught Fire, Molleck

The Cluny - Newcastle