The Inevitable Summer Transfer Market Topic

It had nothing to do with the amount of the offer, the deal was, if Ronaldo didn't get offered a contract, he'd get about 20 million from Madrid.

That's not it, what if Man Utd wouldn't accept any offers for him? And what if they offered him a penny a week? There were limits in the offer, they just haven't been reported as heavily (because no-one really cares about the details).

According to Dutch media Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen is going to London on Friday for a medical and then will probably be presented next week as Arsenal's first signing. The transfer fee is believed to be around 12 million euro, which I find a lot for Vermaelen.

000vermaelen.jpg

Arsenal have completed the signing of Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax in a deal worth up to £10m.

The 23-year-old centre-back is a regular at international level and made his debut for Belgium in March 2006.

"Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal and we are all delighted that he is joining us," Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger told the club's website.

I heard about that Johnson stuff today, seems he's heading to Chelsea now, unless it's more media bullshit. That'd make me really happy if it was true though, as I'd much rather see him at Chelsea than Liverpool.

All thats been said is that there are two offers. Everything I've read said he prefers a move to Liverpool as he didn't enjoy his time at Chelsea.

It's all media hype, Liverpool are linked with someone, quick let's say someone else is after him and the player will go there because Liverpool can't afford him!

Guest Ringmaster

Glen Johnson for 17.5 mil is ridiculous. I know Liverpool are getting some money back, but if Chelsea are really trying to hijack then that's even funnier, 'cause Bosingwa > Johnson. In fact, Arbeloa > Johnson. Also, seriously, for that money a team could get Phillipe Lahm or Maicon or something; maybe even a player that actually spent most of the season playing at right-back and not in midfield. Fuck it, I'm sure if someone threw 17.5 mil at Arsenal, Wenger would be all ":), you can have Sagna", then put the money somewhere underneath his bed and never spend it. I know 6 + 5 (lol, Platini) is coming soon but this is no reason for sacrifice!

And at the price, I can at least now understand Bent and Bentley costing so much :shifty:

Wouldn't agree with Arbeloa being better than Johnson. Arby's a solid enough player but Johnson is quicker, stronger, can go past a man, scores a few more goals and has a better cross. Defensively Arbeloa probably shades it, but Johnson would be a better fit for our system.

Glen Johnson for 17.5 mil is ridiculous. I know Liverpool are getting some money back, but if Chelsea are really trying to hijack then that's even funnier, 'cause Bosingwa > Johnson. In fact, Arbeloa > Johnson. Also, seriously, for that money a team could get Phillipe Lahm or Maicon or something; maybe even a player that actually spent most of the season playing at right-back and not in midfield. Fuck it, I'm sure if someone threw 17.5 mil at Arsenal, Wenger would be all ":), you can have Sagna", then put the money somewhere underneath his bed and never spend it. I know 6 + 5 (lol, Platini) is coming soon but this is no reason for sacrifice!

And at the price, I can at least now understand Bent and Bentley costing so much :shifty:

I agree that's a lot of money for someone who had a decent season and one very good showing against Andorra. I think he fits Liverpool and might do well there but 17.5 mil is just too much for his caliber. As far as I know Liverpool still needs to buy an attacking left midfielder too considering Babel is (hopefully) leaving, so that's going to cost some cash too.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

I think it's pretty much down to Chelsea or Man City, he could be the missing piece of the puzzle at Chelsea... but part of me wonders whether he'd go from one bench to another. I mean, Ancolotti is likely to be playing 4-5-1... and Tevez is a natural striker, he's ALWAYS going to be on the bench whilst Drogba and Anelka exist.

Then again Real Madrid could be in with a chance if it turns out that Valencia don't want to sell Villa afterall, which is likely considering their stance on the matter is more hilarious than Bayern's on Ribery

Wow, United lose Tevez and Ronaldo. If I were a United fan, I'd start to worry, despite how good the rest of their squad is, losing two players of that quality is going to hurt any team.

I hope he goes to Chelsea, mainly because seeing Man Utd fail will be better than anything next year and Tevez with Chelsea will increase the chances of that. I see him going to City though, because more money and a guaranteed starting spot will take preference to anything.

It's worrying, but hopefully it means we will fucking get off of our asses and splash the cash to bring in a top attacking player (and fuck the overrated Ribery, let him go to Madrid). I'd like to see Benzema brought in, which would be around 30m right? I'd say him and a couple of more additions would make me happy. And I find it funny that Tevez is linked with Chelsea, as if he'll get more first team football there, good luck with that pal. I see him going to City.