NHL '10/2k10

Mr. X

You have to use the masks they give you, unfortunately.

I got called up to Ottawa over the weekend (for performance, not injury), so to honour this occasion, I got myself some redesigned pads to look better with the Red Home/White Away of Ottawa rather than the White Home/Black Away of Binghamton. I pilfered Will's hand gear, and recoloured the TPS pads. I'll upload the pics this afternoon sometime, because I think it looks sweet :)

So I'm playing a game as the Marlies in my Be a GM, and I come across this crazy new glitch...

Ted Christensen pulls the puck out of the corner, where three guys are battling for it, and powers to the net, putting it in and tying the game at 2.

This is all great... except Mathias Holmstrom, who dumped the puck in, got credit for the goal. I'm not sure why it happened, but I found it to be weird all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me until the 2017/18 season to do it, but I finally won the Stanley Cup with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Here's what my team looked like:

Ed Schneider / Stephan Leclaire \ Marian Gaborik

Loui Eriksson / Jonathan Toews \ Steve Bernier

Dan Belfour / Jim Boyd \ Kenneth Kovalchuk

Frazer McLaren / Darcy Wathier \ Alexander Zyuzin

Luke Schenn / Brian Lee

Bruce Orpik / Tom Horcoff

Ronnie Klemm / Brett Janik

Maxim Varlamov

Jim Fussey

Gaborik signed in the summer before the Cup win for 2 seasons. He was a replacement for Martin Havlat, who was getting up there in age and whose numbers were dropping.

Eriksson was offered to me in a deal a couple seasons before, and put up consistent numbers for a guy who was between first and second line multiple times.

Toews signed the same time as Gaborik did. I expected to receive extremely high expectations from my team for the season, and I figured it would be a good idea to snag a top guy.

Bernier was signed the same summer as Gabs and Toews. Kenny Kovalchuk had been playing second line Right Wing, but he stopped developing at a 78 Overall and his production wasn't where I wanted a second line winger to be, so I moved him down.

Brian Lee has been with me for most of my career as the GM, actually... I think I picked him up in my second or third season.

Leclaire, Belfour, Boyd, Kovalchuk, Zyuzin, Orpik, Horcoff, Klemm, Janik, Fussey and Maxim Varlamov are all guys that I drafted and developed on my own.

So the moral of the story? Building through the draft really does work. BUT, the way the game is set up, it's hard to make room for five new guys every single year. I really am hoping that next year, they take an MLB approach, and add a third tier. Make it the East Coast league, use the team names, and just make up people to fill the rosters in the beginning. Make them editable though, so that we can make them whoever we want... that way, instead of being forced into massive turnover on the AHL club every season, you'll have a whole new team to send these guys, or AHL guys who just aren't cutting it.

My roster fills soooo quickly because I feel obliged to sign and give my rookies a chance...

I'm the same way. I sign every rookie that I draft, which has varied between 3 and 8 per year. Usually somewhere in the middle, depending on how many picks I get offered, what I'm looking at for the future and all that.

So I find myself letting guys go that I otherwise would have kept. I mean, I understand and appreciate the design behind letting guys go when there's just no money for them. I like that. But letting guys go because some kid I drafted at a 67 overall MIGHT turn into something useful... it's depressing. So if there was an ECHL added to the game, I would love it. A place to put the rookies whose stats aren't good enough to warrant taking a job from an AHLer.

• 2 weeks later...

I won the Cup with the Leafs in the first season. This was a GM campaign I started before roster updates, and was only going through it to check out the off-season. After 20 or 30 games, I simmed the rest and my Leafs ended up in first in the East. I simmed most of the playoffs and Toskala was a destructor of worlds. In the finals, I played the games and beat Calgary in 6, with Toskala taking the Conn Smythe.

In the off-season, I traded Finger and lost Stempniak and some lower guys who wouldn't resign. Then, I picked up James Sheppard and Justin Williams up front, and Zybnek Michalek on defence. Oh, and Belak IS back!

So, except for Belak, I have no forward rated less then 80. Kessel and Grabovski didn't jump up too high in overall but their offensive attributes are just nuts. My top line is Blake (who had 86 pts) - Kessel - Williams, followed by Poni - Grabs - Kulemin.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slooooowwwlllyyyy this thread rises from the death <_<

So I created myself + Ace and put them onto the leafs, then did an NHL BAP as myself. Chose Toronto because I felt they'd be pretty good with another couple of good forwards to skate with Kessel.

Managed to nab myself this OT winner from my knees after being legged on a breakaway. Epic :D

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19283580

Also, this is the new gear I designed for my el-drafto goalie BAP. What do you all think? I quite like it, and I think the blocker in particular looks sick.

761A0001_2_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_XVo.jpg