'Classic' Horror Films

Guest musick

I would recommend Nosferatu from 1922 to anyone who really wants to see a well done German vamp flick from ALL the way back...

Hah, I remember the first time I saw this I was a kid, and my dad was watching it. I had nightmares for weeks about Nosferatu creeping through the door like he did in that one scene, then when they show the silhouette of him. Classic stuff.

The original Dawn of the Dead is another classic zombie movie, I just watched it again the other night. I'm not hugely into horror movies, but I'm a big fan of zombie flicks.

Yea I still get creeped out whenever I see it.... now I know that I might get laughed at, but for some reason my fav Horror Movie is Halloween 3:The Season of the Witch.

It is campy as hell when i watch it now, but just the thought of little kids being brainwashed with their halloween masks and the creepy music in the evil company's commercial still make my hair stand on end.

I'm not even going to go in depth on those... just... fucking bollocks is what those were.

New fans of horror should really check out the new remakes... Halloween, Texas Chainsaw and Friday the 13th were all very good. After that, I highly suggest going backwards and watching the originals. Some people though, just can't enjoy the older efforts.

Im sorry, but you call the 28 Series bollocks, yet in the same paragraph praise the butchering of Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th? The old versions knocked the new ones out of the park as far as storytelling and suspense is concerned. The newer relayed only on gore and shock value.

What do I say here?

None of those movies had anything in the form of storytelling... it was all pretty basic, and to be honest, the formula is exactly the same now as it was back then... the only difference being, that they have the ability to display better effects.

Now, I will agree that there's not as much suspense, but at the same time, a lot of that was forced by the restrictions that these people had when they made their movies in the 70's and 80's.

Don't come in here and tell me that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a well written story. It wasn't. It was a fun, fucked up, and visceral movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't come in here and tell me that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a well written story. It wasn't. It was a fun, fucked up, and visceral movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, I'm going to do just that. Foreshadowing, shock AND suspense in equal measure, and a family of genuinely memorable characters.

The acting? Sure, you can slag on that, but the writing and directing? It delivers.

Of the remakes, I've only seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hills Have Eyes, and Amityville Horror. All mediocre at best and Hills becomes downright laughable in its second half. To bother recommending the remakes in a thread devoted to 'Classic' Horror Films is a bit disheartening.