'Classic' Horror Films

Guest musick

Guest musick

Anybody else enjoy some good, old horror?

Yesterday I watched "A Bucket of Blood" online (legally), and it is fantastic in that classic camp horror way. On a more serious horror note I went out and got some new copies of Romero's zombie classics, but I have yet to pop them in. On a less classic note, but still great, I watched Pet Semitary the other day.

Anybody have some must-sees?

Guest musick
I would recommend Nosferatu from 1922 to anyone who really wants to see a well done German vamp flick from ALL the way back...

A silent movie classic. Definitely worth the watch.

For those into more "now" movies, though, I guess the best I've seen has been the 28 Days series.

I'm not even going to go in depth on those... just... fucking bollocks is what those were.

New fans of horror should really check out the new remakes... Halloween, Texas Chainsaw and Friday the 13th were all very good. After that, I highly suggest going backwards and watching the originals. Some people though, just can't enjoy the older efforts.

Guest musick
I'm not even going to go in depth on those... just... fucking bollocks is what those were.

New fans of horror should really check out the new remakes... Halloween, Texas Chainsaw and Friday the 13th were all very good. After that, I highly suggest going backwards and watching the originals. Some people though, just can't enjoy the older efforts.

I didn't say they were any good, just good compared to what else has been put out. Can't bring myself to watch remakes of the classics just yet. In horror, though, the old effects just made it even better.

More in depth edit: I feel like the 28 Days movies would appeal to people who like action movies and want to see a horror movie, it's a good cross-genre film, I guess.

Edited by musick

Anybody else enjoy some good, old horror?

Yesterday I watched "A Bucket of Blood" online (legally), and it is fantastic in that classic camp horror way. On a more serious horror note I went out and got some new copies of Romero's zombie classics, but I have yet to pop them in. On a less classic note, but still great, I watched Pet Semitary the other day.

Anybody have some must-sees?

How old is old?

Bay of Blood a.k.a. Twitch of the Death Nerve by Mario Bava... Friday the 13th and every slasher flick after that owe their existence to this gem.

The Thing by John Carpenter. Fuck that old black-and-white James Arness bullshit. Carpenter sticks much closer to the source material, the short story "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell Jr.

The Changeling with George C. Scott. Creepy supernatural mystery. Not a gorefest, more psychological.

A Nightmare on Elm Street. The original with Johnny Depp. Forget all that Leprechaun smarmy bullshit. The original is still creepy as fuck-all.

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Pretty uneven, but Nicholson is chilling and it has some amazing imagery that remains iconic.

That should get you started...

I'm pretty much a fan of all the living dead movies (the Romero movies and then the first two Return of the Living Dead's). Cemetary Man is also great, it's fun in an Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness sort of way with some humor thrown in with gore. Children of the Corn is another one of all-time favorites. Unfortunately, any sequel to Children of the Corn was fairly shitty.

The original Frankenstein. Great movie...the scene where the monster is happily picking flowers with the little girl and they toss them onto the water to watch them float is classic. The monster curiously picks up the girl, who starts screaming, and tosses her in the water to see if she can float too and she drowns. I saw that when I was a kid and never forgot it.

Almost any Karloff or Lugosi movie are good to me. "White Zomibe" was great too. I also like the movies that were made fun of on Mystery Science Theatre 3000....

"AND YOU CAN'T PISS ON HOSPITALITY. I WON'T ALLOW IT."

Oh, man the line that shall live in infamy. The best part of that movie is that there is a whole counter culture that widely celebrates it as the best worst film ever made. In fact, there is recent documentary about it. Here is the equally funny trailer for that.

I would recommend Nosferatu from 1922 to anyone who really wants to see a well done German vamp flick from ALL the way back...

Hah, I remember the first time I saw this I was a kid, and my dad was watching it. I had nightmares for weeks about Nosferatu creeping through the door like he did in that one scene, then when they show the silhouette of him. Classic stuff.

The original Dawn of the Dead is another classic zombie movie, I just watched it again the other night. I'm not hugely into horror movies, but I'm a big fan of zombie flicks.