Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Interesting blog about Liverpool on BBC sport from Derek Robson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2010/01/in_rafa_were_bust.html

That makes the percentage of football pundits/ex-pros/commentators from TV, radio, newspaper and internet who dare to suggest that things with Benitez aren't rosy and that the current team is horribly average...To about 85%

Press in having knives out SHOCK. They've been after him since the beginning of last season.

And Robbo Robson is one of the worst 'experts' anywhere, he's on par for stupidity with Collymore. The fact he takes the piss out of Lucas - one of our best players by a long way this season, who has done everything asked of him and more, and Insua - a young fullback who is bound to make mistakes, whilst not criticising the 'hard' targets like Gerrard, Torres, Carragher, Benayoun, who have all been well under par this season says everything you need to know about him.

This also made me laugh;

And there's no one on the club's youth team production line coming through either as far as I can tell. No Gerrards, Fowlers, Owens, McManamans

To put this in an article that basically seems to criticise Benitez is bizarre, given that up until the beginning of this season he had been told by Parry, Hicks and Gillett to keep his nose out of the academy. That's why he's had to sign so many young players to bypass the academy and go straight into the reserves - Pacheco, Nemeth, Spearing, Plessis, San Jose, Ayala,... who, by the way, are probably the best batch of young players we've had in years, and already look miles ahead of the youngsters signed by Houllier.

I'm not a big fan of Houllier's time at Liverpool either to be honest. After the treble winning season it was down hill.

Most pundits are blowhards with little to offer. It's better to actually watch the games yourself then listen to them.

You really didn't like Houllier did you? :rolleyes:

Where did I say that? I stated a fact. Rafa's batch of youngsters are better than Houllier's - that has nothing to do with a personal dislike of Houllier, but there are a lot of people making up your 85% that have rewritten history to make his time at Liverpool seem more successful than it actually was - especially after his heart operation, in order to reflect badly on Benitez.

James to Stoke deal off

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie claimed they were surprised by the terms of the deal Stoke were offering.

He told BBC Radio Solent: "Stoke hadn't even offered his wages and hadn't offered a deal to the end of the contract.

"I've never heard of a Premier League side not wanting to cover another Premier League player's wages, never ever."

Don't you just hate it when teams can't afford to pay the full wages of players, right Peter?

Edited by The General

Can't blame Stoke, was worth a punt.

Feel a bit sorry for James though, he's stuck at a club that won't play him because they'll have to offer him an extension to his contract. Can't see him being England's number one at the World Cup unless there's a massive change in the next few weeks.

Holy shit, Nani's playing? I'd really love for the experience of two or three months out of the team to have improved his overall play and get him fulfilling his potential. We need a good performer on that left-wing, especially if Fergie isn't going to buy anyone. Not too hopeful that it will actually happen though!

It's like the boy who cried wolf

Liverpool received some dodgy penalties over the past month or so as they tried to force a point out of some games, now whenever they actually need a penalty the ref thinks they're diving.

What dodgy penalties have we got? The only one I can think of was against Birmingham.

Didn't really have a choice with the line-up. Kuyt and N'Gog had to start up front, and there are no other wide players that are fit. Agger got injured in training, Riera was only on the bench because we have nobody else. Maxi was never going to start (and looked well off the pace when he came on), and after 120 minutes against Reading Aquilani looked ready to drop.

The game was typical of our season though, a stonewall penalty denied and dodgy defending costing us another late goal - from a set piece, which we'd defended excellently up until that point.

Holy shit, Nani's playing? I'd really love for the experience of two or three months out of the team to have improved his overall play and get him fulfilling his potential. We need a good performer on that left-wing, especially if Fergie isn't going to buy anyone. Not too hopeful that it will actually happen though!

We dont have Obertan on the bench either who id love to see play. We need to play it down the right with Valencia in order to create chances

EDIT: Nani mishit >_<

Edited by Dont Fear The Reaper