The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Yeah, from the sounds of it, he's about a year away from being a second line center, which presumably pushes Wolski back to wing or the third line, as Stastny will take Sakic's place on line one. I'd love for Joe to stick around one more year though. Or two, and impart some wisdom when Duchene gets up to Denver.

Second round is over. Toronto took Kenny Ryan from the USDP at #50 and then at #58 picked up Jesse Blacker from the Windsor Spitfires.

Oh, and Calgary now has the ability to negotiate with Jay Bouwmeester exclusively until July 1st, and all it cost them was Jordan Leopold and a 3rd round pick.

Edited by Toe

Oh, and Calgary now has the ability to negotiate with Jay Bouwmeester exclusively until July 1st, and all it cost them was Jordan Leopold and a 3rd round pick.

Good deal if they get him signed, hysterically bad deal if they can't. I imagine they will - he's a Western Canadian, ain't he? - but I hope not so we can laugh at Gabe.

Yeah he's from Edmonton, I doubt they'd have made the arrangement without some hint from him that he'll sign. Phanuef and Bouwmeester should be a nasty combination.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That scouting report failed to mention that he was buried on Kitchener's second (sometimes third) line in 07/08, and I believe also did second-line duty for London last year (definitely once they got Tavares). Put him with good players, and his numbers will be even better.

Hah, I suggested that the Leafs had good players. :lol:

Good deal if they get him signed, hysterically bad deal if they can't. I imagine they will - he's a Western Canadian, ain't he? - but I hope not so we can laugh at Gabe.

It was rights to Jay Bouwmeester for rights to Jordan Leopold and a 3rd, so if neither player signs, it was basically Calgary giving Florida a third.

The Flyers overpayed for Pronger and now have a whole heap of cap problems.

Yeah it's a bad trade for them. Pronger isn't getting younger either. This is a one-year thing, they're throwing everything in for next season to make a run to the Cup. I don't see it happening, their goalkeeping is a huge question mark with Emery.

Looks like the rangers are losing both guys they got in the trade deadline - Antropov from Toronto(who's looking for much more than double his current price), and Derek Morris. They gave up 3 players and some youth for morris.. Prucha and Dawes. Looks like Paul Mare (D) is also leaving the team. No cap space to sign him. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I hated that guy. The rangers are trying to sign Zherdev for 3.5, rather than give Antro the money he wants. I dont know if thats a smart move or not. Zherdev is very talented, but more inconsistant than antropov, and he shows this I don't care attitude. Fredrik Sjostrom is probably gone. The guy was good on shootouts and played alright on the 4th line...had great speed, but never really got enough ice time.. I'm sure some team will pick him up.

The biggest loss is Blair Betts. He's amazing on the penalty kill. (they call him offensively challenged, but he's really not that bad) looks like the oliers may be interested in him.

I don't see the rangers getting heatly. People are taking about how easy it is to trade, Gomez, redden, and Drury, and rossie, but nobody is going to trade for their over paid contracts.. I wish they could get rid of them this year, get nothing back and make a sweet offer to kovy next year.

Edited by thisgamewelose

I don't see anyone giving Antropov what he is asking for. Look for him to sit on the sidelines for awhile, then maybe later in July or even August signing a one year deal somewhere.

It was rights to Jay Bouwmeester for rights to Jordan Leopold and a 3rd, so if neither player signs, it was basically Calgary giving Florida a third.

Exactly... what's there to laugh about? Leopold is a UFA anyways... so we gave Florida a 3rd Round Pick so that we could exchange the rights to try and sign different players. Bouwmeester, before the Draft, told everyone that he was going to test free agency... but Darryl Sutter wouldn't have made the deal if he didn't know something that the fans didn't.

If we don't sign him, then it's really too bad, but we're stockpiled full of good young talent, and a 3rd Round Pick isn't really something we're going to miss.

Also, the Flames re-acquired Brandon Prust from Phoenix for Jim Vandermeer, which leads me to believe that Prust will be getting a full time roster spot next season. He deserves it too, he's a good, hard-nosed, in your face type of gritty forward, and Brent Sutter is going to love him.

Shaw Cable buttfucked me big time... they were working on our cable lines for some reason, and I come back Friday afternoon from grocery shopping to find that my cable and internet are dead. I had to go out and pick up the paper's on the weekend to find out what happened.

Flyers paid far too much for Chris Pronger, who, while still valuable, is overpaid and in the twilight of his career. Luca Sbisa and Joffrey Lupul alone would have been too much, but to add in draft picks as well? I don't like any of the moves Holmgren is making this off-season. The guy's off his rocker.

EDIT:

Here's my Eastern Conference All-UFA Team for 2009.

F Brendan Shanahan (NJ)

F John Madden (NJ)

F Nikolai Antropov (NYR)

F Saku Koivu (MON)

F Alex Tanguay (MON)

F Ruslan Fedotenko (PIT)

F Mark Recchi (BOS)

F Brian Gionta (NJ)

F Maxim Afinogenov (BUF)

F Dominic Moore (BUF)

F Alex Kovalev (MON)

F Erik Cole (CAR)

D Mike Komisarek (MON)

D Francois Bouillon (MON)

D Nick Boynton (FLA)

D Jordan Leopold (FLA)

D Steve Montador (BOS)

D Teppo Numminen (BUF)

G Craig Anderson (FLA)

G Martin Biron (PHI)

EDIT 2:

and because no one else was around to post after me, another edit... this time with my 2009 Western Conference All-UFA Team!

F Mike Cammalleri (CAL)

F Jere Lehtinen (DAL

F Steve Sullivan (NAS)

F Marian Gaborik (MIN)

F Alex Kotalik (EDM)

F Marian Hossa (DET)

F Mikael Samuelsson (DET)

F Sami Pahlsson (CHI)

F Daniel Sedin (VAN)

F Henrik Sedin (VAN)

F Mats Sundin (VAN)

F Martin Havlat (CHI)

D Adrian Aucoin (CAL)

D Jay Bouwmeester (CAL)

D Sergei Zubov (DAL)

D Matt Walker (CHI)

D Mattias Ohlund (VAN)

D Rob Blake (SJ)

G Dwayne Roloson (EDM)

G Nikolai Khabibulin (CHI)

This is taking into account that there are guys out there who are good enough to take spots on these groups, but very likely to re-up with their current teams... and a couple guys who might not even play next season...so... I left Mats in there because he's expressed some interest... and because I would have just given the spot to Bertuzzi anyways.

Edited by Gabriel

For any team seeking a goaltending upgrade, Ed Belfour is tanned, rested and ready.

The future Hall of Famer, who turned 44 last April, is working out near his suburban Dallas home as he seeks a return to the NHL. Agent Ron Salcer confirmed that his long-time client has asked him to contact clubs to determine any interest level.

Let's sign him up Burke! <_<

Just when I figured he had given up on zem...

Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has made his way to Sweden in an effort to keep discussions with Henrik and Daniel Sedin alive.

The Sedins' agent JP Barry is also in Sweden preparing the twins for free agency in the event the Canucks aren't able to meet their contract expectations.

Sources say the Canucks haven't countered the Sedins' 12-year, $63 million offer. However, the fact Gillis flew from Montreal to Sweden shows his interest in pushing the negotiations to the limit.

Not a fan of the new 10-12 year deals that have now become common place in the NHL, Gillis would prefer a five-year deal.

The siblings, who have been Canucks since being drafted by the club in 1999, combined for 63 goals and 164 points this season.

The next 24-36 hours will be a defining moment in the history of the Canucks franchise. If Gillis allows the twins to walk away, he will have just over $22 million in cap space, but just 13 players under contract with three pending restricted free agents.

Names that have been mentioned as a possible 'Plan B', should talks fall apart with the Sedins include Marion Gaborik and Mike Camellleri. Gaborik reportedly has already bought a house in the Vancouver area.

The Canucks' biggest need is a puck moving defenceman and if the twins aren't signed, Gillis may aggressively pursue Scott Neidermayer.

As for July 1, the Canucks biggest announcement might be the signing of goaltender Roberto Luongo to an extension. The two sides are reportedly close to a deal that would pay the team captain $40 million over the next five seasons.