'Dead' Competitions (e.g. Cup Winners Cup)

hugobomb

I always liked the Cup Winners Cup. It was nice and simple, you took the national cup winners from all over Europe (sides who were good at knockout football) and stick them in a 32 team, two-legged knockout tournament. It was concidered the second biggest European Club tournament, ahead of the UEFA Cup. Unlike the Champion's League no side ever succesfully defended the CWC, with A.C. Milan, Anderlecht (Who made three finals in a row 1976-78), Ajax, Arsenal (thanks to a 50 yard winning goal from Nayim) and P.S.G. all winning the CWC then losing in the final the next year. The best performer over all was Barcelona, who won it four times and were runners up twice (Honourable mention goes to Anderlecht who won it twice and were runners up twice). It was disbanded in 1999 to allow further expantion of the Champion's League, Lazio being the last ever winners under Sven Goran Eriksson.

I think that there would still be a place for the CWC today it was brought back. Discuss.

I too loved the Cup Winners Cup. It's good in theory but now with the domination of the big teams, what'd happen if say the entire Big 4 made up the FA Cup Semi Finals, all 4 would have to compete in the Champions League, so no team would be able to enter. Unless you entered a quarter fianlist, which would just ruin the magic of the tournament in the first place.

Though not really a competition, I'd really like to see the return of the golden goal in any competition. Yes it's cruel and can be argued that it doesn't work as well as any other match decider but it's a much greater way of deciding how well a team is instead of penalties.

Both teams are practically shitting themselves going forward because they know that it HAS to go in otherwise they get brutalised on the counter.

The Home Championship. Sadly this stopped in 1984 before I was born, but we used to have an international tournament between the 'home nations' of the UK. Used to be England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland then Northern Ireland replaced Ireland when the Republic of Ireland formed. It woul dbe nice to have that again. Maybe not have it every single year, but it would be a good tournament to try out new things and spark some passion back into the domestic game.

I'll also miss the UEFA Cup, as it's being replaced with the Europa League. Better format, stupid name.

I'm pretty sure they were trying to arrange a Home Championship style thing last summer when none of our useless overpaid stars managed to qualify for the Euro's. Someone objected though and it all fell through, can't quite work out why none of the home nations FA's can get on, same with the Olympic team.

Though not really a competition, I'd really like to see the return of the golden goal in any competition. Yes it's cruel and can be argued that it doesn't work as well as any other match decider but it's a much greater way of deciding how well a team is instead of penalties.

Both teams are practically shitting themselves going forward because they know that it HAS to go in otherwise they get brutalised on the counter.

Now, I do criticise the golden goal and I don't like the concept, however as a supporter of the only team to ever win promotion via the golden goal method, it can't be all bad. <_<

The Cup Winners Cup was good, I wish it was still around rather than this Europa League rubbish.

The Home Championship. Sadly this stopped in 1984 before I was born, but we used to have an international tournament between the 'home nations' of the UK. Used to be England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland then Northern Ireland replaced Ireland when the Republic of Ireland formed. It woul dbe nice to have that again. Maybe not have it every single year, but it would be a good tournament to try out new things and spark some passion back into the domestic game.

I'll also miss the UEFA Cup, as it's being replaced with the Europa League. Better format, stupid name.

I remeber reading about when England and Scotland quit the Home Championships saying it was too easy. In the last ever Home Championship, England and Scotland finished last and second last. I lolled