Funk Legend Rick James Dies

Arsenic

Looks like Chappelle won't be doing the "Rick James" movie.

You'll be missed Rick James. :(

- The Dork Knight

I dunno..I'm thinking the oppisite. Basically this would be all the more reason for them to do the movie. Sort of like hte upcoming 'Ray' movie. Don't know how much comedy will be added to it now though..

This is the problem I have with America... it was fine to make light of Rick James three days ago, but now that he's dead we suddenly have to act totally different. Rick James had no problem making fun of himself on the Chappelle's Show and Chappelle playing him in a bio-pic, why would he mind now? I'd like to think that if there is another life beyond this one, people don't lose their sense of humor. James was a great musician who had a lot of problems in his life but seemed to clean up in his later years. Hey, give me 56 Rick James years and I think I could die happy. I'd rather have 56 Rick James years than 100 years living some boring ass life. And I'd like people to remember me in a light-hearted way, because I'm a light-hearted guy. I'm sure Rick would want the same. Hell, yesterday on the radio station I work at we did a Rick James tribute with Dave Chappelle clips in there, no one got pissed. It's okay to still laugh along with someone when they're dead. Rest in Peace Super Freak, hopefully wherever he is, he's digging his feet in the couch.

This is the problem I have with America...

yadda yadda...

It's not a double standard it's called respect.. almost similar to it being good ethics not to talk about someone behind their back.

I for one enjoyed the Rick James skits but as somone said some of these younger cats only know him because of that. If a movie was made on him, now I'd rather it be done the right way so that they won't remember him as some running gag.

That's what made the skit work, If Chappelle had just been blasting him then it would have been funny but it would have been dry humor or even distastefull. But having James himself come on and join in giving his side of things made it gold. The same would have gone for the movie. With him now dead, I just think it would be distasteful to make fun of the guy because this time he wouldn't be around to defend himself if things got "ablibbed".

Rip Rick James..

It's a bio-pic, I would think they're going to do it as it happened. Afterall, there's no way you can make burning a chick with a crack pipe funny. Chappelle did a good impersonation and I think the idea would be to actually give Dave his first serious role. Then again, we don't know how they're gonna do the movie, but I see it now as more of a reason to do the movie. Give Rick a tribute send off.

And there's plenty of respect for Rick James, but just cause the guys dead doesn't mean we can't laugh at the Chappelle skits anymore. I highly doubt Rick would want that. It's not making fun of him behind his back, it's just enjoying something that was funny. Now I'm not saying have Chappelle start this season with something like "I'M DEAD BITCH!" That would be incredibly disrespectful, but everyone doing all this ultra proper stuff like they're at his funeral is just silly.

And it is a double standard, you have to die to get respect in America, you know that's true.

Hate to double post, but I wasn't going to make a whole new thread for this. If you want the chance to learn more about Rick James' life, his Behind the Music is on VH1 right now.

Edited by Zero