Funny People

apsham

No topic for this movie yet? Aww, that sucks.. I'll fix that now.

I went to the theater and saw it last night, flat out amazing and I think that every last actor\actress in it played their part perfectly. It was funny as hell, but then it hit you with something to think about right after that. If you went into it thinking that you were flat out watching a comedy you might be dissappointed though. Also, the cameos were pretty awesome too.. especially the Eminem\Ray Romano one.

• Like 1

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Judd Apatow stick his kids in movies, but beyond that, its a great movie. Best work from Adam Sandler in years and the Eminem/Ray Romano bit killed. I cannot wait for this to come out on DVD to see what kind of extras from all the standup Apatow filmed will be included and the commentary track should great. Would have loved to see Bill Hader and/or Jason Segel in this, but beyond that, I can't really complain.

Oh yeah, Paul Reiser looks like he's 70 years old. Scary looking.

Loved the movie as well. Went out and saw it on opening day, the theater wasn't as packed as I thought it would be. I read some reviews on it before heading into the theater, so I knew it wasn't going to be a flat out comedy, so I was not disappointed. It was very polished and the best Apatow film I've seen yet. I agree the Eminem/Ray Romano scene was absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

Loved the movie as well. Went out and saw it on opening day, the theater wasn't as packed as I thought it would be. I read some reviews on it before heading into the theater, so I knew it wasn't going to be a flat out comedy, so I was not disappointed. It was very polished and the best Apatow film I've seen yet. I agree the Eminem/Ray Romano scene was absolutely hilarious.

Anyone that's seen a Judd Apatow film should understand it's not going to be flat out comedy. Hell, the running time should clue you in that much.

Still, loved the movie. Fantastic cast.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the film as well, but I thought it dragged on a bit towards the very end at house, probably had to do with the long running time. Still, I found it to be a great film. My sister and her soon-to-be-husband didn't think so though, telling my uncle to wait til it was on TBS or whatever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This movie just came out in the UK, and I thought it was pretty damn good. Some of the comedy moments were fantastic - the Eminem/Ray Romero and The whole "I thought Jews didn't like being on lists" were my funniest moments. It was awesome to see Adam Sandler do a really non-Adam Sandler film, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

It's not even that it's at the end, because there will be a very serious moment in the film.. and there'll be some comedy in the middle of it. You'll laugh and then all of a sudden, boom you're back to realizing that shit is still real after that moment. To take a moment from the trailer that everyone knows.. when he's talking to his doctor and makes the Die Hard jokes after finding out about his disease. That's pretty funny, but the next scene is him walking through the lobby.. clearly looking upset and worried, but people are still running up to him like "TAKE A PICTURE WITH ME GEORGE!".

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this today. Brilliant film. Don't go to see it expecting a comedy, because it isn't. But it has a great story (that does drag towards the end, admittedly) that really has a lot of serious issues that it addresses. Loneliness, contentment, friendship, mortality, relationships, celebrity, personas and lots of other nuances that will probably need a few viewings to appreciate. Great, great performance from Adam Sandler (and I really am not a fan of his previous work to say the least), but he absolutely nailed this character. Yes there are some jokes in there that are genuinely funny, but most of it seems to be just there to demonstrate that these people are comedians. But that's irrelevant, the film gives a very good insight into what the life of a comedian could be like and that it is very real stuff behind the stage persona and person that they are in public. Definitely recommended if you haven't seen it already.

I didn't like it.

Was far too long & didn't have enough laughs in it for my liking. As people have said beforehand: it is not a comedy in the truest sense of the word. IIRC, it was sold as a comedy in the trailers, and the title of the film is misleading, especially considering the cast.

Perhaps it has the emotional depth and yada yada that others have spoken about, I don't dispute that, but it wasn't what I wanted to see. That hurt my opinion of it.